feel tired... too much exercise?

E

emma

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-00 AT 05:43PM (EST)</font></center>

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-00 AT 05:41 PM (EST)

Hello Cathe and Everyone!

I need some advice (doesn't everyone!). I have been exercising 6 days a week. I have tried to do 4 days cardio and 2 days total body strength (MIS) or 3 days cardio and 3 days strength (PS series), etc. But many weeks I only feel up to working out 5 days a week because I feel tired. (It has been only 7 weeks since I had a full rest week)

This week I have felt so out of energy that I have only exercised once (although I can feel myself coming out of this slump and feel geared up to start again next week). I guess part of the reason I feel tired is that I get up very early before my baby wakes up to exercise. But I wonder if I am doing too much. Maybe I would feel better if I always took out one of the cardio days and just worked out 5 days a week.

I don't need to lose weight, my focus is to firm my body, gain some muscle. My problem is I feel like I "must" exercise more or I will gain weight or not get "firm"!

I know some exercise is better than nothing! But I guess what I am searching for is the assurance that working out 5 days a week will give me the firmness and muscles I want. I hope I make sense and would really appreciate a response! I feel frustrated!

By the way Cathe, I have been enjoying my 8 new videos. I feel bad because I have been ignoring my other Cathe videos and I don't want them to be jealous of their new "siblings"! LOL

Thank you so much for putting together such wonderful workouts.

Emma

Know where you're coming from......

....with feeling tired. Before I got my CTX set of tapes, I'd decided that I was better off exercising only 5 days per week. That was when I was doing BodyMax, Interval Max, Taebo and walking/running. That's very intense for me and my own particular endurance level.

BUT, with these new tapes and their shorter cardio sections, I CAN do 6 days per week with no trouble. I always have taken a week off every six weeks. I will very occasionally go 7 or 8 weeks before taking a rest week, but it's usually 6 weeks.

We all are different, and have different stamina levels. You have to do what's right for you! When your body tells you to rest, do it!

It's better to do less than to get discouraged and give up all together.
happy.gif

Feel better?

Glad to hear...

that you have felt like you can workout 6 days with the CTX tapes. I have wanted to do them all in the 6 days but have felt too tired. I hope next week I will feel rejuvenated to do so!

Honeybunch, just a question... Did you feel just as strong working out 5 days a week before you recieved the CTX tapes?

Also, I find it interesting that you take a rest week every 6 weeks. I aim for every twelve but I may be needing them every 6 -7 like you. That gives me something to think about!

Thanks for your opinion!

Emma

Listen to your body!

Emma, please listen to your body. Most of America would be darn proud if they worked out 3 times per week much less 5. If you don't feel like a "workout" consider walking, a swim, yoga, stretching, or anything that gets you moving.

Honeybunch is strong! She's an Amazon & takes breaks when she feels she wants to (or needs to).

I felt fine doing 5 days a week....

....I've always lifted heavy weights, and I've read different sources that suggest taking two days off per week if you train heavy with weights. I was feeling that I needed to do just that, or I did not have the stamina to do my weight training the way that I like. The key for me is the shorter cardio sessions.

I think the first week I did the CTX series I only did four. Just remember, there are no Cathe police who will come to your house and take away your tapes is you don't do all six in one week!
wink.gif

Keep on truckin!
happy.gif

After a good rest...

I'm ready to go. I've decided to try just working out 5 days a week for a few weeks and see how I feel.

Thanks for the encouragment everyone!
happy.gif

Emma

Emma,

I just read this thread and it really gives me something to think about. For the past 2 days I have been achy in my joints and my muscles are stiff. I'm thinking it's time for a break. You see, I just started going into my 3rd week of my CTX rotation and I haven't had a day off yet. On mon., wed, fri., and sun., I do 2 Ctx tapes a day. On tues., thurs., and sat., I do one. I thought that maybe I was coming down with something(I still could be), but maybe my body is saying TAKE A BREAK!! I just hate to deviate from my rotation though. I haven't exercised yet today. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I'll have to give this some though. Anyway, Thank you for bringing something to my attention that I hadn't considered.

Eight days a week ...

Hey Emma:

Six days a week is a whole lot of workouts! Just remember that your biggest obstacle to getting good results is -- LACK OF REST! So if your body is telling you it's tired, listen! You'll actually get firmer quicker. Did you know that your body builds muscle during rest periods? If you don't rest, your muscles can't respond and recover properly. And remember that a week is a completely arbitrary time span -- instead of thinking of it as 5 days per week or 6 days per week, how about thinking of it as resting every 3rd or 4th day?

I am an advanced exerciser and have been for 20 years. My proudest accomplishment and biggest longterm goal is to remain injury-free. I couldn't do that without taking proper rest days. Sometimes (rarely) I even go a week without resting when I get really carried away with new tapes or something ... but more often I take rest days about every 4th day. Every one is different -- you know what is best for you.

Aimee

I have read a lot of your posts! I feel very familiar with you, although I don't post very often. I hope we both try to figure out what our bodies are trying to tell us!

Working out gives me such a positive attitude about myself! If I work out I feel strong and skinny, if I don't I feel over weight! My husband just rolls his eyes at me when one day I proclaim how fat I am and the next how positively thin I am!
wink.gif
Does anyone else feel this way? I think this is one reason why I feel like I must work out 6 days a week- so I can feel better about myself.

I am going to try the 5 day a week thing. I will have to let you know how it goes!

Emma
happy.gif

Daphne M

I really like this idea of thinking of it as every 4 days rest. I have been given such good advice from everyone and I really am grateful for it. It helps to have so much support. Thanks!
happy.gif
happy.gif

Emma

I feel the exact same way!!

I get so cranky and moody, yelling that I'm going to explode if I don't workout. But when I do workout I feel (searching for the right words) strong and radiant! I did go ahead and workout today, and now I feel sooo much better
happy.gif
! I am so glad somebody else understands how I feel!! P.S. My husband does the exact same thing, also!!

Hi emma!

You've gotten some great advice here! Aren't these ladies wonderful?? The only thing I would add is this: If after having this rest, and notching down to 5 days a week, you STILL FEEL TIRED, you might consider checking up with your doctor. . . He will probably check for anemia and hypothyroidism right off the bat. Both are easily correctable, so its nothing to worry about, but be aware that if adjusting your workout schedule does NOT help the fatigue, this is something to consider as well.

Enough fuel

We haven't touched on another component of recovery - nutrition. Eating healthy & with sufficient calories not only fuels our activities, it accelerates recovery.

debra and susan p...

These are both good things to remember. I think this forum is sooo wonderful! I have learned so much. You all are really the "educated crowd"!
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Emma

Good for you!!

I hope I have good news come Monday. I'm hoping to be roaring to go! Wish me luck! Hmmmm... what should I do on Monday? I think it will be Cardio Kicks! That will put a smile on my face.
happy.gif

Emma

Hi Emma!

CUT BACK TO FIVE!!! Without a doubt five days is plenty to keep firm. Listen to your body daily. Rest is a big part of the fitness equation. Without it you will not make improvements. Take Care! Oh, your comment about your video siblings cracked me up
happy.gif

Thanks Cathe! And to let you know...

I feel strong and energetic this week! I did Cardio Kicks this morning. How fun it is!! I'm going to try the 5 days a week thing. Thanks again for the advice!

Emma

Thanks Cathe! And to let you know...

I feel strong and energetic this week! I did Cardio Kicks this morning. How fun it is!! I'm going to try the 5 days a week thing. Thanks again for the advice!

Emma

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.