Feedback on Push/Pull and Supersets

putz168

Cathlete
I have about 23 of Cathe's DVDs, so I have quite a variety of weight worksouts (gym style, pyramind, S&H, muscle max, muscle endurance, etc.) Is this two-some worth adding to my collection? Thanks!

Beth

My opinion is no; those two are just not favorites of mine. MM is the only one that you've mentioned that I don't have, but I like all the others way more than PP/SS. I find those two a little boring.

JMHO.

I enjoy the workouts on lighter days or on days I don't have the 70 minutes to fit in a workout. I think one is 48 and one is 53 minutes or something.

I've seen others here love the premixes but I haven't gotten around to doing any of those; the workouts as is are just nice. :) At least I think so! But I would need to use one of the premixes, perhaps with weights heavier than Cathe, to get in a hard workout. As they are, if I match Cathe's weights I find I get a solid basic workout in.

Not sure that answers your question but you might feel a little more informed. ;) HTH!

I like both of them, when they come up in my rotation I think PHEW at last an intermediate-type workout! They're a nice change for me.

I like them. I am glad I have them in my collection. As someone mentioned, they are good to do as is with heavy weights on a day you don't have a lot of time, but want to get in a full body workout and really hit all the muscles. I like the push pull method and the super sets. Its nice to mix it up for a change.

The premixes rock! I would buy these for the premixes alone!

HTH~
Deanie

Beth:

The bottom line is that you don't need them. You already have the major weight training series that anyone would recommend (GS, S&H and Pyramids). Within those three, you've pretty much got all your lifting needs covered.

But, that is not to say that PP/SS is not a useful DVD to have. Most people, according to testimony on these forums, use these workouts in the premixes form, rather than "as is." Used "as is," each workout is rather short and doesn't feel all that substantive. But select one of the "do workout twice through" premixes and whoa! It's a completely different ball game for the advanced exerciser.

So, I think it's a useful DVD to have around if there is any chance that at some point in the future you may find yourself taking a leave of absence from lifting and having to stage a comeback! (Let's face it, it can happen to us all, to me quite frequently!) Because, as a beginner/intermediate you can do each workout "as is" and that would be quite enough for one day, thank you. Then, as an advanced exerciser, one of the more substantive, more muscle-exhaustive premixes would be just the ticket for a total body workout when you want to shake things up a little.

Supersets happens to have one of the best soundtracks of any Cathe DVD and I have used it in the past when I was feeling down, knew I needed to exercise, but didn't really feel like it and so chose SS because the music is a total mood lifter.

Hope this helps!

Clare

To piggy back onto what Clare said, I am actually doing Push Pull as my total body weights workout for now. It was my first weights video from Cathe so it will probably always have a special place in my heart, but I am one that happened to take an unfortunate hiatus from lifting and this is what I am using to get back into the swing of things. Once you've gone beyond it, there are other great ones you can use but this is a good video to have for a lighter day, a little bit of a shorter day, or one to start back up with weights after taking some time off.

Just to clarify:
PP/SS is endurance NOT weight lifting for strength. There is a difference. It is not comparible (sp?) to S&H or PS, which are weight lifting workouts (and possibly GS)
Deanie

I love the premixes on this DVD. I have gotten some of my best results from the push/pull upper body premix. It does seem so doable when I am doing it but when I add that into my workouts at least once a week I just start to see and feel it in a good way. I never would have dreamed that the premixes on that DVD would be as effective as they are. I would not part with mine.

Jo

I have used and enjoyed this DVD. I may do it tonight. I like the pace and variety of these workouts.
Ellen

Push/Pull is one of my absolute favorite Cathe workouts. I agree it's not for an intense/advanced day so much, but it does fit in nicely on a shorter, less intense day or when you just want to relax a little, or are coming back from some kind of hiatus. Of course this all depends on your personal situation and fitness level.

I love the music and always find myself smiling when I do push/pull. It has a wonderful "mood." It also works for me when I want to do cardio and weights on the same day and keep the entire time under 90 minutes. Re supersets, for some reason I have just not liked that one as much. But push/pull has a special place in my favorite workout list.

You may want to do a search for older items in the forums on this topic - in one forum this DVD was ranked by a lot of folks as the best "unrecognized great" workout!

~ Ann ~
Aim for nothing, and you'll hit it every time!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.