Favorite scary movies

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide !!

The Spencer Tracy version is very good, but the earlier one with Frederic March is incredible!

Both are well-made films.

Is "The Descent 2" good?
Often, I find horror sequels to be either a re-hash of the original, or not as good as the original.
I just answered my own question:
Okay, but not great. Definitely a notch or two below the first.
Unrealistic ambient lighting.
HORRIBLE ending.
(And lots of blood, but since most of it looked like tomato soup or--when mixed with "guts" or "brains"---pasta sauce, didn't really seem that gory to me, which is a good thing).

The original Halloween is on right now. I think it's awesome that they only spent $300,000 to make this film and it is a cult classic.

Speaking of creepy dolls, anyone into Japanese Horror Films? The movie "Reincarnation" has one of the freakiest dolls out there. She's not really a main character, but at the end she's chasing this girl with a knife and well, I still have nightmares about that one!!!

I just watched the original Halloween movie last night for the first time...and I really liked it! A few years ago my family and I went on one of our annual evening "Halloween walks" (where we look at houses with cool decorations), and one house had a life-sized Michael Myers thing (mask and all) that was cleverly stationed next to the front door, slightly behind the bushes. It was revealed just enough so that you could see it lurking, but it was still shadowed by the light coming out of the house and it really looked like somebody was hiding there! I swear, it could have been a scene in the movie.

Other than that, The Shining. That's definitely one of my favorites. I don't care if it's an old movie—it was cast so well and it freaks me out every time I watch it.

There's another Stephen King movie titled "The Mist" that's also really good. But don't watch it unless you know you love scary movies (borderline excluded!)...or if you've got a phobia of bugs. Very creepy.

Give me a little scary humor!

I don't know if this was already mentioned, but I love Fido! It's a "dark" comedy about zombies with just the right amount of laughs and gore for me! It stars Billy Connolly and Carrie Anne Moss. The basic theme reminds many folks of "Lassie"....go figure!:eek:

I LOOOOOVE scary movies .. I like the frightning, the suspense, the thriller, the psychological, and even the gorey ones!! :confused: I know I am twisted!

Classic favs: Poltergeist - Halloween - the Birds (still creeps me out when I see huge flock of birds) - Psycho - Jack the Ripper - Friday the 13th - Nightmare on Elm st - the Exorcist - American Werewolf in London - Carrie - The Howling - The Omen -

Most any VAMPIRE movie - From Dusk till Dawn my all time favorite (find it weirdly amusing too) - Lost Boys - Twilight series

newer favs: Vacancy, The Grude, The Ring, The Decent, Wrong Turn (luv this movie), The Hills Have Eyes, House on the Haunted Hill, the Hitcher, The Rest Stop, A Perfect Getaway, The Breed, Texas Chainsaw Massacar (Rob Zombie), The Ruins, Turistas, Silence of the Lambs, Hannible Rising, Prom night, all the Saw movies

Campy ones: Arachnophobia - Shaun of the Dead - Dawn of the Dead - House of Wax

the ONE that I had to close my eyes on and CREEPED me out big time: The Strangers ... YIKES that was a scary movie!!!

Latest one: Frozen ... unrealistic .. but VERY creepy!!

I could go on and on!!! LOL Happy Haunting!!

I just watched the original Halloween movie last night for the first time...and I really liked it! A few years ago my family and I went on one of our annual evening "Halloween walks" (where we look at houses with cool decorations), and one house had a life-sized Michael Myers thing (mask and all) that was cleverly stationed next to the front door, slightly behind the bushes. It was revealed just enough so that you could see it lurking, but it was still shadowed by the light coming out of the house and it really looked like somebody was hiding there! I swear, it could have been a scene in the movie.

Other than that, The Shining. That's definitely one of my favorites. I don't care if it's an old movie—it was cast so well and it freaks me out every time I watch it.

There's another Stephen King movie titled "The Mist" that's also really good. But don't watch it unless you know you love scary movies (borderline excluded!)...or if you've got a phobia of bugs. Very creepy.

I think I would pee my pants if I saw a Michael Myers prop!!! That would seriously scar me...I can still freak myself out sometimes at night going from my car to the front door while thinking I could turn around and see Michael slowly stalking towards me!!! I end up running to the front door and of course wind up fumbling with the stupid keys!!!

Just saw the new Nightmare on Elm Street. It was okay, the effects were good but there was too much time spent explaining the story of what originally happened and why Freddy is haunting/killing these kids. There was no dark humor like the originals and I was disappointed that Freddy used the f word. I don't remember him ever using the f word, I could be wrong. Not that I am above using the f word in movies but when I heard it, it was out of place and it brought the character down a level, I lost respect a little bit.

I'm not really sure of the back story as to why Wes Craven and Robert Englund weren't a part of the remake. Was anyone else disappointed with the new remake?

Hmmmm, good thread! I love, love, love horror movies. The Descent was really scary I agree as was The Strangers. One of the newer ones that I have seen is Eden Lake. It scared the poop out of me. The Orphanage was good too (not the Orphan) but is subtitled. Actually the first subtitled movie I sat through :). Recommend both of those. I haven't been able to get my hands on the second Descent but did hear that it was not nearly as good.

Laura

I think I would pee my pants if I saw a Michael Myers prop!!! That would seriously scar me...I can still freak myself out sometimes at night going from my car to the front door while thinking I could turn around and see Michael slowly stalking towards me!!! I end up running to the front door and of course wind up fumbling with the stupid keys!!!

That's pretty much what I'm doing now; adding spinning around really quickly every now and then and looking like a maniac myself. Hahaha, my family really should get one of those...if only we had a place to put one. There really is no good place to hide it at my house (unless we stuck it in a corner in the basement...but my dad wouldn't be happy, hahaha). But yeah, it was a clever move.

After all, you never know. There could be a real crazy guy out there who decides that he wants to be Michael Myers for Halloween...and maybe he takes it a little too far. He could be in my neighborhood. He could be on my block. He could be staring into my window right now.

Oh crap... :eek:

Based on comments I read here I rented The Descent. It was good, I guess, but not the sort of scary movie I like to watch. I prefer psychological thrillers that slowly unwind and leave me feeling totally creeped out. The blood, gore and weird looking monsters really don't accomplish that.

I just read about an Australian movie that I'm going to watch tonight on Netflix instant queue. It's called Lake Mungo and is said to be similar to Paranormal Activity.

This movie freaked me out!!! Every time I am driving over a bridge and the mist is coming in my heart starts racing!!!!!! I could watch this movie over and over again.

I totally forgot another one that gets me every time: Night of the Living Dead, the original. I don't know what it is but this movie scares the poop out of me! :eek:

I am a chicken. Big time. But I remember watching and really liking "Carrie" and "Amityville Horror". !! I might be able to sit through either one of those. Also, "The Shining". I do love Jack Nickolson.

Did anyone ever see the made for TV movie, "It"? Stephen King's novel? With THE CLOWN!
I have a horrible fear of clowns! That was the ultimate freak me out movie!

The clown in It freaked me out also. I could never look at the actor that played the character the same again. lol

FX & AMC have been showing horror movies all week.

I didn't realize that there were so many Halloween movies.

The Strangers will be on tonight on FX. I've never seen it before so I'm looking forward to watching it tomorrow (I'm dvr'ing tonight).

Anyone else going to watch The Walking Dead on AMC tomorrow night?

The clown in It freaked me out also. I could never look at the actor that played the character the same again. lol

FX & AMC have been showing horror movies all week.

I didn't realize that there were so many Halloween movies.

The Strangers will be on tonight on FX. I've never seen it before so I'm looking forward to watching it tomorrow (I'm dvr'ing tonight).

Anyone else going to watch The Walking Dead on AMC tomorrow night?

totally going to watch "The Walking Dead" I love zombies!

Nan

totally going to watch "The Walking Dead" I love zombies!

Nan

me too!! I have the DVR all set!

Chris, that clown traumatized me for life. Now I HATE clowns. If I see one, my heart starts racing and I am guaranteed to have nightmares that night. We went to Blood Manor in Manhattan and there was a clown room. My bf yelled "Melissa, look clowns, your favorite!" so the people took that as a sign that I would scare easily and I had a group of bloody evil clowns surrounding me and separated me from the group! I had nightmares literally for weeks after that.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.