exercise and asthma

lesliemarie

Cathlete
I have been away from working out for a long time, been sick, thought it was my fibromyalgia but it turned out to be astma, but now that I am feeling so much better, I am ready to get back to working out and being fit again, just one question, does anyone else have asthma and works out? if so do you have to use your inhaler during the workout? O haven't tried it yet just wanted to ask first

I workout and have asthma. I've used my inhaler in the past when I was doing really intense cardio like IMAX 2 or HIIT on the treadmill. Right now I'm weaning myself off of the Advair I've been on for a month. After I started using it, I started to feel pain in my chest like pleurisy, after doing cardio. Read about a whole host of side effects and decided to try a holistic approach to managing my asthma. And I haven't used my rescue inhaler in a long time. I would say talk to your doctor before you start. They will be able to tell you what the best approach is. I do know that exercise is a great way to manage your asthma, but it's better to be safe.

Good luck and welcome back!

I have asthma and exercise. Things have been much better since I moved (from NY to GA) because the cold weather really made my asthma bad. Since I moved, I haven't had to use my inhaler at all. Before I moved, I would use my inhaler sometimes before an intense cardio workout (like the IMAXes). But I would also tell you to check with your doctor. Yoga also seemed to help me.

Marcy

I can't wait to exercise again, I feel so much energy, everytime I worked out I would feel so breathless, I cleaned to day and can still breathe, I am not using advair, it is some other inhaler, I only get really bad when the air is bad and I work a lot, when the weather is really smoggy I get bad,
I am trying to think of what cathe to do in the morning! I am so excited, and my hubby got me an ab bench for Christmas, love it!!! can't wait for some tight abs again and get healthy again

I have asthma too, and exercise somewhat intensely. I used to have to always have my inhaler nearby but the increased cardio has really improved my lung capacity. It was hell for a while but I kept at it, doing what I could, when I could, and pushing it as much as was safe...now I am amazed at what I can do. I credit Cardio Coach workouts for much of it - all the best to you. The best thing you can do is keep your body and lungs healthy.

I have cold induced asthma and it usually kicks in when I exercise in winter. What I kind of do routinely is use my inhaler after my warm up. I can kind of tell by then if I'm gonna need it or not.

In summer I usually don't need it at all, but it sure makes for a better workout when I am doing it in winter!

Right now I'm getting over a bad case of bronchitis and am using it more than once a day, but usually I only use it when I work out when it's cold.

i'm not sure if this counts but i have exercise induced asthma. it only bothers me when i workout outside on cold days. a couple puffs from my inhaler before i start a workout usually does the trick . . when it's not -10 degrees outside. . . but even then it at least helps me finish my run.

I have been away from working out for a long time, been sick, thought it was my fibromyalgia but it turned out to be astma, but now that I am feeling so much better, I am ready to get back to working out and being fit again, just one question, does anyone else have asthma and works out? if so do you have to use your inhaler during the workout? O haven't tried it yet just wanted to ask first

I have exercise induced asthma

I have exercise induced asthma and I really struggle at times. Yes, I have to use my inhaler at times. I love cardio, so I get angry when I have to stop because I begin wheezing.

I have exercise induced asthma and I really struggle at times. Yes, I have to use my inhaler at times. I love cardio, so I get angry when I have to stop because I begin wheezing.

Amy or anybody, what were your signs/symptoms of exercise induced asthma? I have an awfully hard time getting through cardio workouts. It's almost been a year since I quit smoking, and even though my breathing has improved I think it should be a lot better then it is.

My Asthma

I began to have really horrible symptoms with fatigue and wheezing in June.

I've been to several doctors and had chest xrays, etc. My chest xrays and lungs sound clear according to the medical professionals.

All I know is that I have really had to work hard with my endurance - getting it back, I mean.

I use Singular in addition to the inhaler.

I began to have really horrible symptoms with fatigue and wheezing in June.

I've been to several doctors and had chest xrays, etc. My chest xrays and lungs sound clear according to the medical professionals.

All I know is that I have really had to work hard with my endurance - getting it back, I mean.

I use Singular in addition to the inhaler.

I do have the fatigue factor, but not the wheezing. I just know I have a really really hard time getting through any cardio workout. My breathing just sucks. :(

I have asthma....i use advair once a day. The only time my asthma acts up is when im sick. But the advair has been working great for me.Ive been talking it for about 10 years now. I hardly ever use my rescue,as a matter of fact, i can't remember the last time I used it:confused:.

My doctor also said for me to get plenty of water,it helps too.

Sorry your going through this..:(I hope your asthma gets better:)

Last edited:
the doctor gave me proair to use when I start to get bad, then I use something else daily once in the morning and once in the evening, my lungs at first sounded clear, the chest x-ray was normal, but you can hear me weeze all the time and a dry cough, I was so tired all the time I could hardly get out of bed, I went back to the doctor and told them I can hardly do anything the fatigue was so crippling, he listened to my chest again, and said my lungs sounded tight, like they were having a hard time, that is when he gave me the inhalers, I did the proair once and like a whoosh of air went into my lungs like I couldn't breathe for the longest time and now I could breathe normally again, I still have a little weeze but not to bad, but I can do things without so much fatigue, that was so bad

I use Advair once a day to keep my asthma in check. Works great and I have no problems w/ intense WO unless there's another factor involved like a cold or something. If I need a little extra, my Dr. recommended 2 puffs of my rescue inhaler before beginning.

He also recommended swimming & water aerobics as alternative exercises. Apparently the humidity & warmth in the pool area helps to keep bronchial passages open and unconstricted.

Good luck and you CAN do this!

I have asthma and have used Advair for years with no side effects or issues. That keeps everything in check for me, even during intense cardio workouts.

Before I used that, I found that if I took a puff on my rescue inhaler before I started my workout, I wouldn't have any issues during my workout.

It was also the case that as my cardio grew stronger, I needed it less and less. A lot of it is psychosomatic. For for when it's not, just keep your Albuterol (or whatever you take) handy so that you can puff and keep on going.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.