Equipment enquiries...

SandraGau

I'm doing the 3 1/2 months STS Shock Cardio rotation and I'm finishing the 4th week this week (only cardio next week). Now, the problem I am facing with Meso 2 is the dumbbells. I mainly used 8, 10, 13, 15, 20 dumbbells for Meso 1, but I already feel like I could use 25 pds with some exercises (rows, deadlifts mainly). I therefore feel like I probably could use 25 and 30 pds dumbbells for Meso 2 and 3, but they are quite expensive to buy individually if I only use them for a couple of exercises. I was looking into the Adjustable Dumbbell set (2.5 to 55 pds from Costco with 2.5 pds increments) and was wondering if anyone had ever used them, and if you would recommend them. Are they worth the $380 investment. If they are good, it would make changing weights between exercises very fast and easy. I would appreciate any feedback.

Sandra

I don't have them myself so can't help with reviews. But if you know what brand they are at Costco, try doing a search here on the forum. Both of the major brands have been discussed quite a bit and that might help.

I know that this is a very personal decision, but for me, the adjustable dumbbell set I have is not my cup of tea. I am forced to use it for anything over 40# with my current setup. My hands do not feel comfortable on my set; the rod part is larger than my regular dumbbells. My poor DH bought them for me a couple of years ago and I rarely use them for that reason. On Meso 2 and 3, my upright dumbbell rows are above 40# and I use them, but other than that...DH uses them. My advice? See if the model you are looking at is on display at Costco or another sporting store and lift one of them. I think that would give you a better idea. HTH! :) Good luck!

I use adjustable dumbells :) I know they probably aren't as convenient as set weight dumbells, but they do me :) It is just that it takes longer to set up, but I don't find I miss out, and it means I can go really heavy :) If you can't afford the others, I reccomend them :) And they look tidy, as they take up less room :)

I don't know what brand they sell at Costco, but I have the 20# and 55# sets of the Bowflex SelecTech and I love them. They have a contoured handle that makes them very easy to hold, and they smoothly change plates to adjust the weight. My mother has a set of Reebok adjustable dumbbells, and they are a pain! You have to really fight with them to change the weight, and they keep getting stuck. It takes so long to change the weight, you have to pause the DVD. HTH

Thank you everyone for your input. I did go to Costco to see the Ironman set and couldn't get them to work on the demo, and they are VERY bulky, so I opted out of that one. Then I found a place where they still sell the HEX rubberised dumbbells for $1 a pound (another store was telling me $2.11 a pound!!!) so I guess I'll buy the 25 and 30 dumbbells after all with maybe weighted gloves... Thank you again everyone|

I have had my up-to-90 pound BowFlex SelectTech set for over a year, and I love them! I also have hand weights that go up to 30 pounds.

My thoughts. I compared options last year: continuing to buy dumbbells locally or buying the SelectTechs (they were on sale). The 45 pound setting was break-even for my set, since I already owned everything up to 30s. This year, when I'm regularly using the over-50 settings, they are beginning to "pay for themselves" :) And they take up far less space. It's funny to see my three-row rack of 3-30 pound dumbbells sitting next to my SelectTechs; it's like a commercial for adjustables :) I'd need a second three-row rack (and lose considerable floor space) without them. The dial-in feature is very fast, very easy to use. I found that they are most comfortable if I use gloves when lifting, since the no-slip handle makes them pretty rough. The VersaGripps work well for that, too.

I like having individual dumbbells as an option, though, and won't be getting rid of them despite the room they take. My larger-sized SelectTech is really too bulky for on most shoulder exercises (mainly lateral/delt/front raises; presses and flyes are fine) and some bicep/tricep exercises (kickbacks and the twist-move for bicep curls come to mind; hammer and traditional curls are fine; concentration and preacher awkward but okay). Also, the metal hex dumbbells are better for platemate magnets, so the hex 'bells give me better control for the smaller muscle exercises. Maybe the lighter BowFlex set would be comfortable for these exercises, but I have only used the larger pair.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your input. I did go to Costco to see the Ironman set and couldn't get them to work on the demo, and they are VERY bulky, so I opted out of that one. Then I found a place where they still sell the HEX rubberised dumbbells for $1 a pound (another store was telling me $2.11 a pound!!!) so I guess I'll buy the 25 and 30 dumbbells after all with maybe weighted gloves... Thank you again everyone|

I would like to find that store!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.