enough protein in a vegetarian diet?

Cbelle

Cathlete
I've always preferred to eat a vegetarian diet but have always been afraid I am not getitng enough protein. I won't eat tofu....so that basically means eggs and beans or protein shakes are my only source of protein. Would this be enough? Like a typical day would be eggs for breakfast, beans and rice for lunch, salad for dinner and protein shakes 2 times a day for snax.

I have been a vegetarian for nearly 9 years. Most Americans get far too much (animal)protein in their diets, which is excreted in the urine and causes, among other things, kidney stones and osteoporosis. The idea that adults need huge amounts of protein is a myth, one that is perpetuated by the meat and dairy industry, as well as the makers of protein supplements. Think of it this way: Breast milk consists of only 5% protein, and compare the rate of tissue growth a newborn is experiencing to that of an adult! It sounds like you are getting more than enough, and from a much healthier source, than if you were eating animal protein. Not only are you helping yourself as a vegetarian, but you are eating in a way that does not cause as much damage to the environment and that does not perpetuate factory farming. A really wonderful, awe-inspiring book about this subject is Diet for a New America, by John Robbins. I went from bloody-rare-steak-eatin' carnivore to vegan as soon as I read this masterpiece in 1992.

By the way, thanks to Cathe and a healthy veg diet, I have plenty of muscle! :)

Shannon

My main concern was if I was getting enough protein to sustain the muscle I am trying to build....I want to lose fat(about 20 lbs) but keep my muscle.

There are also tempeh, Boca burgers, fake meats and deli slices and sausage links and such. I totally agree with what skelly50 had to say. Meat and dairy are generally overconsumed as far as health goes. And then there are the environmental and animal cruelty issues as well. 1.7 million cases of salmonella a year. Concentration of toxins as you move up the food chain. Lots of sides to it. But even if you only care about the health aspects, it's better to eat a lot less meat, eggs and dairy than the average person eats. You can get plenty of protein from plant-based sources for putting on muscle.

Most Americans get too much protein simply due to the fact that they eat too much food! And they think they must have meat at every meal!

I noticed that pasta has a fair amount of protein in it... a 2-ounce serving has 7 grams. Not bad. You can also add almonds (more fiber than peanuts) and I've seen recipes for high-protein veggie & bean soups in a vegetable base. I also saw a recipe for protein pancakes in a M&F Hers email newsletter:

BRANDY MADDRON’S PROTEIN PANCAKES
2 cups egg substitute (is there a vegan egg substitute?)
1 cup (dry measure) quick-cooking oatmeal
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking powder
5-8 packets Equal
Nonstick cooking spray

In a large bowl, mix the first five ingredients thoroughly with a fork. Let mixture sit for three minutes. Using one-fourth of the mixture for each pancake, drop mixture onto a nonstick pan coated with nonstick cooking spray and prepare like a regular pancake. Cook over medium heat until one side is browned, then turn and cook the other side.

Makes four large pancakes.
Nutritional info per pancake: 168 calories, 17g protein, 25g carbohydrate, trace of fat.

(Okay, I'm not sure how it tastes, but may be worth a try.)

Yes, I forgot to mention, you can add soy flour (cheap and high protein) to any baked good, pancakes, corn bread, even cake and brownies, i guess! I always add it to pancakes.

As others have already said, it's easy to get enough protein on a vegetarian diet. I've been a vegetarian/then vegan for over 25 years, and I don't feel protein deprived! It's funny, though..when I first became a vegetarian in 1976, one of the first questions people would ask was "how do you get enough protein". Now with the popularity of those high-protein diets, the same question is coming back! Actually, the question should be, how do people who eat animal products, especially meat, not get TOO MUCH protein (bad for kidneys, for immune system--see Andrew Weil, for bones). Your suggestion for a basic meal plan sounds good. Just remember that though some foods are primarily carbohydrate (ie: potatos) they also contain protein.

I think most people in this country should be worried about more fruits and vegetables in their diet and not protein. Most people are lacking in these areas and it's very dangerous to your health. I've been vegan for awhile now and vegetarian for longer and I've had no problems and so many great things come from my diet and I don't even eat that much soy. I personally find the soy dogs and burgers to be gross but better than meat. I eat tofu when I go to my favorite vegan restaurant here in seattle and that's about it. I agree with all the others, it's big corporations asking " got milk"? and having you worry about protein too much. They also have us buying lunchables and weird gooey fake snacks for our kids but I'm not going to be buying into any of it and I hope the rest of the world will soon come to feel the same way. I'm not trying to sound rude or jump down your throat and I'm sorry if you're turned off by the responses. I think it's great you're a vegetarian and I'm very thankful that you've made this decision. If you are still worried about your protein intake, I would look into the faux meats and soy drinks and bars. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask away.

Good luck
Emily

Hi Cbelle, I'm just wondering why you are afraid you are not getting enough protein in your diet? Is it how you are feeling or from things you might have read?

I've been a vegetarian for a few years now, and an exerciser as a non vegetarian and exerciser as vegetarian.
For myself I feel better and more energetic as a vegetarian. I have excellent muscle tone and no problem maintaining muscle. I do FIRMS as well as Cathe heavy weights and cardio tapes. I have no difficulty maintaining muscle.

I have never understood the concerns about vegetarianism and protein. There is protein and (good quality) proteins to be found in lots of plant foods. I suggest eating a wide variety of foods from lentils, beans, rice, soy, dairy and eggs if you are happy using those and if weight gain isn't a problem then fresh unshelled nuts as well. Make sure you have a good mix of these in one day. From a vegetarian point of view my concern is more towards the availability of B12 in my diet since I don't eat much dairy. I concentrate on eating iron rich foods too, although this is not a concern just something I am aware to pay attention too.

Thanks everyone for all the positive posts! I'm glad to hear I'll be ok....the main reason for my concern is that I lift weights pretty heavy and pretty often, and I don't want to sacrifice any of my muscle in my weight loss due to too little protein. Maybe thats all hype and not true but I've read so much about getting enough protein I was getting concerned. Thanks alot!

Protein pancakes from M&FH's

Hi! I made the Protein Pancakes from M&FH's this weekend and they are really good! I love oatmeal so I was psyched to see this recipe. They freeze really well too. I'm going to add chopped almonds next time. I used liquid egg whites instead of "egg substitute" and they turned out great. I made extra and froze them for my husband & I to grab in the mornings.

By the way, to the person who originally posted this: have you ever tried tofu in a smoothie? I don't eat dairy, so I use tofu as my fruit smoothie base. I add fruit and orange juice, cranberry, whatever sounds good, and blend it with about 6-8 oz tofu. I also add flax & wheat germ. I may thin it with a bit of soy milk or more juice. I defy anyone to tell the difference!!! Tofu makes a really thick satisfying smoothie. Frozen bananas & berries are the best!

I was wondering about your "I won't eat tofu" statement. Just don't like it? I think many people dislike tofu because they may have tried the wrong type of tofu for certain things. There are basically two types: the first one comes in an asceptic package that you can store unrefrigerated until opened. It works well for blending and making dips, soup bases, puddings, etc. It is HORRIBLE (in my opinion) for stir frying or scrambling, as the texture is kind of like the cooked whites of a boiled egg.

The second type, which is marvelous for stir frying, scrambled tofu and pressed and baked tofu, is in either a water pack or a tightly sealed plastic that must be refrigerated. It has a good texture that holds up well, and can be made even denser by pressing out some of the water (put the tofu block on a plate, cover with a second upside-down plate, and weight down using a heavy pot or a large jar of pickles. Drain off the water that is pressed out. This is best for baking, stir frying --I sometimes "fry" in cooking sherry to get the mouth feel of oil without the calories-- and it absorbs marinate even better than unpressed tofu).I use Tree of Life reduced fat tofu (it used to come water packed, but now is in an air-tight plastic).

Also, be sure tofu is fresh. If it's fresh, it is very bland tasting and soaks up whatever flavorings you add to it. If it's not fresh, it will start to smell strong and may be yellowish.

Come on, give tofu another try, won't you ;-)

Great tofu suggestions Kathryn! There are also some great tofu-based "meat substitute" products out there. Today for lunch I had Yves bologna slices (made from organic soybeans) on whole wheat. A serving of 4 slices has 17 gms of protein. And it tastes really good! I added soy cheese too, an extra 4 gms! Tofu is an excellent protein source, and there are tons of great products now made from tofu. And you seriously can't taste any difference. I agree with Kathryn: try it, you'll like it!

marnie

The sandwich slices are definitely the most convincing of the fake meats. Some taste like ham, some like salami, they have loads of protein and little or no fat. And with all the sandwich fixin's I think they pass for meat really well. You have to be more forgiving with the beef/chicken chunks and strips. They really aren't the same as the real thing, so either eat them because you want the health/animal cruelty/environmental benefits, or just put beans into the recipe. They're worth a try, as mileage may vary. I eat them, but my 16 yr old daughter doesn't like them.

Just another plug for Yves sandwich slices - my kids love them. They have pepperoni, canadian bacon, bologna, ham and turkey. Personally, I don't like them, but my kids gobble them up. One of my kids is not a vegetarian, but prefers the Yves over regular lunch meat.
Erica

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.