Encouragement Needed

Stacy

Cathlete
Hi, I just came here for a little motivational boost. Because of stress, etc. over the past few months I have gained almost 20 lbs and my exercise tolerance is awful. I just feel so frumpy and FAT! Even my "fat pants" are snug. I know what I need to do, was just hoping for some words of encouragement to get me going. Thank you for your help. I feel so down in the dumps over my weight gain :(

Here's some encouragement and a hug, Stacy. Ignore the past, do what you need to do and take it slow and steady. You can lose that 20 pounds in a couple months. And don't define yourself by your weight. Focus on your good points. Good luck.

JUST DO IT, Stacy. Your self confidence will return with self-discipline. And you will start to feel so much better so quickly, that the rewards will soon put you happily back on track. But do not delay: just do it. You will only exacerbate your dissatisfaction the longer you delay. :D

{{{{{STACY}}}}}

No looking back. Today is a new day with a clean slate. Start all over again with a renewed spirit and go for it!

I agree with what Robin and Charlotte have said. After a summer of parties, I too gained about 20 pounds, and it left me feeling fat, frumpy, and just not attractive. You know what to do, and boy is it hard to do when you're feeling bummed about the body. But seriously, you've got to just start back exercising and get serious about the diet. It's what I've been doing, and after a few false starts, I've finally lost 13 of what I gained (mind you I'm still far from my ultimate goal :)). I feel great! At first it was disheartening because I couldn't do the videos that I had worked so hard to be able to complete, but I just gave myself permission to stop where my fitness level required me to stop. You can do it! Once the first couple of pounds start coming off,you'll feel so much better it will be motivation in itself. Actually, I find that if I set small goals and achieve them I feel great. I think I started back with SJP step only on the 4 inch platform, and I told myself I just had to complete the warm-up and anything after that would be extra. How's that for a small goal ;)?

Seriously, good luck to you, you can do it, and I hope you're able to start soon. :)

Pamela

Stacy

The past is what was. Today is the what is, and tomorrow is what you make of it. You control your future. You can do anything you want if you put your mind to it. Don't let anyone tell you differently. Think positive thoughts. Believe in you dreams. Picture what you are going to look like, be strong, and go for it. You can do it!
Take it one day at a time, and you will succeed.

Keep us posted,
Melissa

Hope, Health and a Future

Stacy,

You have lots of encouragement. Get going, and you will be just fine. Whatever you do, don't give up, ever. Keep plugging away, and soon, you will be plesantly surprised.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

Stacy, as a little bit of further encouragement, I've read (and found myself) that weight gained recently is easier to take off than weight we've carried for years. (And I've lost and regained plenty of both LOL!) I think it's not stored as deeply in the body or something like that. So losing it might be easier than you think (I hope!) Good luck!

been here done that,have the t-shirt(the big baggy one LOL). we just got to keep on keeping on(hehehe love the joe dirt saying). many of us are right there with you, and just a big a hugh and a you can do it!!! will help you along the way. as robin said, don't define yourself by the numbers,define yourself on how you feel as a person, and strength and movtivation you build up as you move baby steps ahead.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

ugghh, I've been there, done that!
Recently, I am up 5 lbs from Halloween binging, and the holidays are here! This is my strategy: Eat well, but HEALTHY and if there is an event go ahead and indulge a little. But only a little.
I figure if I can hold some ground until January, I can jump on the bandwagon and take off this 5. It's a little unrealistic to lose a whole bunch of weight right now, but I will be ready come New Years.

As far as working out, I make it a point to do SOMETHING 5 days a week. If you can't make it through a whole hour or so, do a premix, a walk, anything. You know you will feel better once your done! We all do. Good luck, you are not alone!

Sally

ugghh, I've been there, done that!
Recently, I am up 5 lbs from Halloween binging, and the holidays are here! This is my strategy: Eat well, but HEALTHY and if there is an event go ahead and indulge a little. But only a little.
I figure if I can hold some ground until January, I can jump on the bandwagon and take off this 5. It's a little unrealistic to lose a whole bunch of weight right now, but I will be ready come New Years.

As far as working out, I make it a point to do SOMETHING 5 days a week. If you can't make it through a whole hour or so, do a premix, a walk, anything. You know you will feel better once your done! We all do. Good luck, you are not alone!

Sally

From personal experience, once you start heading towards "healthy" (eating, exercising, etc) you will feel so much better about yourself.
I have found that I may not appear better when I look at myself in the mirror, but my perception of myself isn't as harsh once I start eating more healthy and exercising.

I'm here to encourage you!

I just spent a year, basically, without working out. My weight is the same, amazing!, but my body composition is totally changed and my depression got worse. I had loads of lean muscle tissue and now I am fat cells all over. I have a stomach roll for cripes sake, yuck! And all my jeans and skirts' waistbands had gotten too snug for comfort. I have just, as of last week, started back exercising and already I can tell you that I feel so much better. I am starting off using the treadmill for power walking, 6-8 miles at a time. Then I am going to introduce runing intervals and upper body weight training.

I spent weeks, months feeling awful and planning to come back but lacking the courage to take that first step, thinking it would be awful, but it wasn't that bad at all. It won't be for you either. Every step counts, every day exercising counts towards getting you back to where you were. I'm right here with you on the journey.

So come with me, start tomorrow. Choose an exercise type that is pure fun for you and get out there.

have I helped motivate you just a little?

Clare

Hi, Stacy,

How about this goal?

1) 20 minutes of any exercise 6x a week for 2 weeks
2) Cut back (or cut in half) one thing that you're eating every day that you could live without
3) In those 2 weeks, make your goal to lose 2 pounds

Just focus on those three small steps, and see how you feel in two weeks!

Good luck to you,
August

Thanks everyone for the kind words! This morning I did my first workout and even though I felt like I was gonna pass out and couldnt finish the whole thing, it felt good to sweat! I was planning on the Cardio&Weights premix of Body Max 2. I got through only 2 of the 3 cardio segments, I did the entire upper body segments but had no more energy left for abs. I knew I was in for it when I was sweating at the end of the warmup. It was my first time with this one and I loved the music and the step was easy to learn. Tomorrow I have abs and ankle weight premix from B&G. My eating is much better today too...breakfast was egg whites and oatmeal, post workout I had a protein shake and my mid afternoon snack was unsalted peanuts. Have no clue what dinner will be, but so far so good today!

Excellent job with the first day back!! These new workouts are not for the faint of heart, so I think you made it through a lot! I've only done BM2 twice, and both times I couldn't believe what it took out of me:p
Congratulations on starting back:) :) :)
--laura

>I'm here to encourage you!
>
>I just spent a year, basically, without working out. My
>weight is the same, amazing!, but my body composition is
>totally changed and my depression got worse. I had loads of
>lean muscle tissue and now I am fat cells all over. I have a
>stomach roll for cripes sake, yuck! And all my jeans and
>skirts' waistbands had gotten too snug for comfort. I have
>just, as of last week, started back exercising and already I
>can tell you that I feel so much better. I am starting off
>using the treadmill for power walking, 6-8 miles at a time.
>Then I am going to introduce runing intervals and upper body
>weight training.
>
>I spent weeks, months feeling awful and planning to come back
>but lacking the courage to take that first step, thinking it
>would be awful, but it wasn't that bad at all. It won't be
>for you either. Every step counts, every day exercising
>counts towards getting you back to where you were. I'm right
>here with you on the journey.
>
>So come with me, start tomorrow. Choose an exercise type that
>is pure fun for you and get out there.
>
>have I helped motivate you just a little?
>
>Clare

This is great! How inspiring!

Clare, I am with you girl! Used to be 100% muscle, now 50% muscle, 50% fat. Like you I haven't gained so much, but have lost muscle and it is no secret what got put in its place! I have belly rolls that weren't there before and the butt sags more than ever. But its crazy how ONE workout can make you feel so much better about yourself. ONE workout and I swear my butt has lifted. It's funny! My husband even commented the day after I did some easy lunges that my butt looked higher. I laughed, and laughed, and laughed......but it sure feels like it!

Where you mind is at, right at that moment, the day after when you feel so good about the day before, THAT is where I want to be again. If I could just keep the good feelings flowing, which means keep the workouts going!!!!! AAArrrrgggghh!

I think the negative self talk can be ruthless for us, much more so that those who have never exercised/been really fit. We know what being fit and feeling powerful feels like so when we lose that we wonder why we are so weak. We feel powerless and disgusting. We disgust ourselves. WE BEAT OURSELVES TO A PULP!!! Self affirmations are akward for us to do (to say the least) but equally important. To say to ourselves, "I have the power to choose. I have done this before and I can do it again!" or "I am confident". Some of these things I say to myself but laugh inside while I am saying them. But no matter, experts say, eventually your mind will believe! Crazy huh? Who'd of ever thought??

I stopped buying books and researching depression. Now I buy books about self empowerment or positive thinking. I still get down, but I want to change. I don't want to play the victim forever. We have the power to change, we just have to cultivate it!\

So get outside, wander around, find a mountain to climb, look up in the sky, breathe the fresh air, and really truly be thankful that you have the ability to do these things. I used to hike mountains on my LUNCH HOUR and when I got to the top I always took a moment to really appreciate nature and what my body could do. After all, how many people are unable to hike mountains and will never experience this feeling??

So come with us, start TODAY. Get out there. Know that you hold the power to get what you once had back, even if you don't take the same route to get there!

Oh, sorry, wanted to say too that if you have gained 20lbs in the past few months and are very fatigued maybe you should see your doctor. Have you been medically cleared?? It is good to make sure nothing else is going on...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.