Elliptical trainer

nancy324

Cathlete
Does anyone else have trouble getting into their target heart rate zone on an elliptical machine? I guess my legs get too tired to get my cardiovascular system into the aerobic zone. When I do my power walking on the treadmill I have no trouble getting right into my aerobic heart rate zone, but I am looking for a way to vary my workouts so I don't get too bored. Is anyone getting a really good aerobic workout on the elliptical machine? Thanks.

I have an elliptical and like it very much. I have a bad low back knees and ankles. So I find this machine great for a change of pace. I don't have a problem getting into my heart rate zone on this machine. I do use a heart rate monitor most times when I am on there so I know I am hitting my target heart rate zone. I also listen to music when I am on there so I find myself peddling to the beat of the music. And it also makes my time on the elliptical more enjoyable.

I have the opposite problem. I can't seem to get my heart rate as high while walking. Can you change the resistance on your machine? Otherwise it may be too easy for you. I also love varying the elliptical incline to target different parts of my legs/glutes. I have knee probs so the elliptical works for me.

I have the opposite problem. I can't seem to get my heart rate as high while walking. Can you change the resistance on your machine? Otherwise it may be too easy for you. I also love varying the elliptical incline to target different parts of my legs/glutes. I have knee probs so the elliptical works for me.

The thing about walking on the treadmill is that there is no muscle in my body that gets tired or worn out. I can walk as fast as I need to and incline as high as I need to in order to get my heart pumping. On the elliptical, if my quads or glutes get a little tired and I have to slow down or lower the incline, then my heart rate falls. Maybe it's just a matter of getting my quads and glutes in excellent shape so that the elliptical becomes easy for me. Or maybe I should use the machines that have the arm thingies? Do those help raise the heart rate?

I don't use an elliptical machine with arm thingies.

I'll use high incline for so many minutes, decrease the incline a little for so many minutes, decrease again, etc...So that I work the entire leg (from glute to calf) over a 20 minute period. It's a little harder at higher inclines...so to compensate I increase the resistance at lower inclines. When I get tired of the elliptical I move to the bike or treadmill to get a total of 30-45 minutes of cardio. I tend to get a better elliptical workout with some good heartpumping music going...makes me go faster. :)

I don't use an elliptical machine with arm thingies.

I'll use high incline for so many minutes, decrease the incline a little for so many minutes, decrease again, etc...So that I work the entire leg (from glute to calf) over a 20 minute period. It's a little harder at higher inclines...so to compensate I increase the resistance at lower inclines. When I get tired of the elliptical I move to the bike or treadmill to get a total of 30-45 minutes of cardio. I tend to get a better elliptical workout with some good heartpumping music going...makes me go faster. :)

I also recommend great music! I found this great site on eBay where you can order pre-mixed CDs for really cheap!

His website is: www.CardioMixes.com.

He mixes them himself. They have some of the good ol' songs from the 70's & 80's all mixed up with techno beats! They seriously keep me going for about another 15 minutes after I am ready to stop every time I listen to one of them.

I have an elliptical too and don't get as good a workout on it on some days. Then on others when I am motivated I do great. I think mine is too easy to cheat on. I like the ones at the club better but am not fortunate enough to get there more than once a week or so.

Good luck!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.