Ecto-Babes 3/24-3/30

JamminX3

Cathlete
Hey, Slim Ones! How was everyone's weekend? Not OD'ing on war coverage are you? I don't have TV anymore and I'm SO GLAD...I know I'd be glued to the news.;(

This week I continue with theS&H series for my 2nd week of Body Rx. I think I'll add 2 days of running a couple of miles. No cardio feels weird.

I asked this question on the "Video and Questions" forum, but I'll ask you guys. After I do the rotations that Cathe recommended for me (S&H, PS, Pyramids for 3 weeks each, which I'm doing now), what do you think about an endurance rotation of The Gauntlet, The Viper, IMAX Extreme, Boot Camp and C&W with alternate days of running or another straight cardio? Would that be too much cardio for an ecto to maintain muscle mass??? Or would it not be enough wt. training to keep muscle mass? I'm thinking of this for 3 weeks. INPUT PEOPLE, INPUT!!!:* :* :* :* :* :* :*

Have a good one!

I'm here! :)

Sorry I can't help with that new rotation you have planned. Seeing how I'm a VHS girl, I have no idea what the Gauntlet and Viper are! But remember when Cathe was helping you out a while back, wasn't you first month a lot of cardio? Sorry I'm not much help! :(

No OD'ing on the war for me either. I don't watch it at all in the evenings but I catch bits and pieces in the morning while getting ready for work. During Desert Storm, my brother in law was there and many times bombing was happening in the last known location we had for him. I was a nervous wreck but my sister was fairly calm throughout. I admired her faith but I was a basket case. I had to stop watching so that I could sleep at night! So I'm not sitting in front of the TV this time even though I know people who have relatives there. (My BIL, moved came out of the reserves and went full time into the military but he's a captain over some group computer related, so he's home this time.)

So I'm using the time wisely when my favorite shows would be on but are pre-empted now to workout or catch up on my reading. Or just spending time with the kids watching their favorite shows!

But Robin, I'm sticking with the BFL plan for the most part. We're in week 4. Tonight I can't decide once again whethere or not to do upper body or total body. I did all but the back work of Power Circuit Saturday evening but I'm not sore because I didn't go that heavy with the weights because I wasn't sure how I wanted my week to start - CTX/UB/LL or PUB/PLB! I was planning on doing ME but I guess I'll see once I get home. Actually I'll probably decide in the car!

Okay it's almost time for me to get out of here an back to my book on tape!

Talk with you tomorrow!
Angie

Hey ladies,

Thanks for starting us off Robin! Yesterday was a hectic day for me and I forgot all about my usual Monday morning post. I had to spend the afternoon doing the iron by I.V. routine again. Three and a half hours you sit there! So far, I haven't noticed any improvement in how I feel, but they tell me it kicks in after the third or fourth infusion, so hopefully I'll see a difference soon.

This week, I'm continuing my SH/Power Hour rotation. I do each SH workout once - pushing myself to go as heavy as possible - even if it means I can't do all eight reps in a set. Then I do PH once. I'm seeing some nice muscle development in spite of not being at the top of my game lately.

Robin, are you working each body part three times a week? I think that would be too much for me - at least the way I've been feeling lately. If you are, how's that workin' for ya? (As Dr. Phil would say.) Hey, that's one advantage of the I.V. process: I get to watch Dr. Phil while I'm getting the drip. He's a hoot.

Angela

Hey Angela - would you mind posting your rotation? I'm considering replacing PLB/PUB with the S&H in April. How much cardio are you doing?
Angie

Hi everyone!!!

Robin, can't help you with this one, I'm a VHSer too. And my plan is to stay with a Slow and Heavy type rotation until further notice (I've heard that somewhere before). Seems to me my best muscle/body development has come from slow and heavy work so I'm making it the core of my training and going to add cardio like twice a week. Julie, I'm trying to hit most parts 3 times per week too, but some get 2 times per week. I'm trying hard to develop my shoulders and biceps. I want to see what happens if I stick with this for a few months as opposed to only 3 weeks.

Now....my problem is, I woke up with a terrible pain in my neck and went promptly to the chiro. He told me I have a locked up disc and I have to go back 4-5 times to get it unlocked. It is terribly painful, so horror of all horrors, I couldn't do LL this morning. That's my usual Tuesday routine. I don't even know it's Tuesday if I haven't done LL and this will definitely throw my week off. I'm GOING to work out tomorrow morning if it kills me and then go see the chiro again at 10:00. I hate missing workouts, makes me a bear.

Okay Angela, I guess with so much happening at my house (5 children and homeschooling) I have to say that I'm jealous of being able to get an iron IV drip for 3 1/2 hours, sounds heavenly. Not the rest of it though....praying for your quick recovery. I'm so proud of you continuing to push on through all this.

Have a great week everyone!!

Briee

Hey Briee!

Have you tried LL with just dumbbells? Can you put them on your shoulders or will that still bother your neck? If so you could always hold the dumbbells in your hands at your sides. It may not be as intense a workout but you could use this time to really focus on your form and the muscle group you're working and it could be just as nice... nice and painful that is! :) :D

Angie

Hey, Angela, no, I'm not doing the 3X week per body part thing. I was planning to, but my friend talked me into Body Rx. I'm using S&H once per week and just making sure that I work to complete failure on the last set. I've been good and sore every time. I WILL do the 3Xwk thing at some point. I'd like to see how that works.

Briee, I didn't know you homeschool. Maybe I did, but forgot. Anyway, we are too. My oldest is in kindergarten, so it's pretty easy right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do 3, much less 5!!! Yikes. BTW, I hope that you're feeling better soon. Dang injuries! Hate those.x(

Also, re: Briee's comment about wanting to stick this rotation out...I once asked Cathe about whether Ectos should do long rotations or was it OK to switch up. OF COURSE, she said that, in her experience, ectos do better picking a weekly rotation and sticking to that for about 12 or more weeks. Funny, cuz I'm sure that's true, but it seems to me that ectos are easily bored (in general...just my impression from 'talking' on-line with other ectos) and tend to switch up rotations frequently. *Big Ole SIGH* Angela, you're making me want to add PH to my rotation! SEE???? I'm easily swayed.:p

Angie, I can't WAIT to hear how you do with BFL. Is this your first time since we were on the other check in? Are you sticking with the eating part? Have you already posted that stuff here and I'm embarrassing myself by not remembering???;)

Julie!!!! Oh, Julie!!! How's that ankle? Come back, Come back!

OK, have a great day, Everyone!

Angie and Robin,

Don't let me sway you on rotations - with my health issues, I'm an unusual case, I guess.

I was impressed with Maribeth's advice for ectos to work each body part twice a week - once heavy and low reps for strength and once lighter and high reps for endurance. The purpose of this is supposedly to work both the slow and fast twitch muscle fibers for "maximum muscle recruitment," as Cathe would say. So, I've pretty much been doing that ever since with slight variations. (By the way, where *is* Maribeth? I miss her.)

Angie, I don't do any cardio. I know that sounds strange, but I read that underweight ectos should - at least for a while - avoid cardio and increase healthy caloric intake in an effort to gain healthy weight. Also, since I'm currently anemic and iron deficient, I just don't have the energy for cardio and anemia causes you to be short of breath. One set of leg presses on the step can have me huffing and puffing.

My current rotation includes doing each SH once a week and PH once a week. Like Robin, I've been pushing myself to go heavier during the SH workouts and that seems to be working.

Briee, yes, I guess there are advantages to having to spend several hours kicked back in a recliner. :D

Angela

That's right! I remember that Maribeth said that. That does it...I'm adding an endurance workout to my S&H week.:+

Hey, Angela!
I'm here--just not nearly as often! I've been running like a chicken without a head for about a month now. I also found myself getting too caught up in a variety of forums, so when I wound up typing away in the wee hours of the morning, I made myself take a break for a bit.

But, I'm around--I've missed you guys, too!
Maribeth

Angie, thanks for your suggestions on LL. I actually could barely move yesterday (LL no way!!), but today I went on to my normal wednesday workout, (because I'm just too stubborn to give up for more than a day!!!!!) My neck was feeling a little better although the doctor said that I'm still locked up (the disc). I did S&H chest, back and shoulders this morning and tried to involve my neck as little as possible. I can do everything but turn it and move it back. Sounds terrible, but at least I wasn't in as much pain yesterday morning. My dh took me out today and bought me a barbell set and weights (for my upcoming bday) and it also comes with two dumbbell bars which I'm so excited about because I need to move up in tiny increments for my shoulders and this will allow me to do so. (don't have those platemates yet). So, instead of the usual Thursday cardio, I may do the LL so as not to miss it (heaven forbid). Having new toys really keeps the motivation going!!!!

Robin, great to hear your homeschooling. You'll be amazed at how easy it gets as they get older. They can almost keep themselves going, trust me!! And as the older ones help the younger ones, they reinforce what they've learned, etc. And I appreciate not having to build our life around a government school plan. We can fit school in whenever we want. I guess I'm a little bit of a rebel when it comes to this subject. This should make some sense to you, weren't you the rebellious one, oh I think I'm thinking of Julie.

Glad to hear from Maribeth. I miss her posts!!!

Briee

Ooooookay! I wrote out a nice message, took a break, came back to finish the message, clicked preview message and it was no where to be found..... x(

So here I go again!

Briee! You're very welcome. Hope you feel better really soon because it does sound painful and very uncomfortable! Do take care! I can definitely relate to not wanting to miss a workout especiialy once you get on a roll and things are going well!

Maribeth - Glad you popped in on us! Welcome back! Can't wait to get more info and feedback from you on the board! :)

Angela - Thanks for the reminder of WHY I'm doing CTX LL/UB and PUB/PLB in the same week. How quickly we forget! ;) So I'll have to remember to include or rather keep the CTX set in my rotation next month.

Julie - Hope the ankle heals quickly for you. :( It's such a bummer when the leg/knee/ankle are injured because we always have to walk somewhere! What workouts are you doing during this time? I have a friend who had a serious ankle injury years ago and is constantly palagued with bouts out pain that causes her to either reduce or refrain from working out. Are you focusing a lot on upper? Abs? Are you doing floor legwork? I'd really like to be able to toss some suggestions her way and would greatly appreciate your help!

Robin - Yes I did BFL before but I'm not seeing results are quickly as I did then! :( Go figure. But I guess that's my fault because I started off strict from the beginning and this time I sort of slacked on the nutrition part. But now I have all my supplements - purchase more whey (wasn't out but close to the bottom of the barrel), more creatine (been out for a while, that's why I was so sore one week, recovery was he**), and mrp bars. So I'm set and ready to give it more intensity now! But I have noticed that my legs are firmer, can't see any definition but that will come :). Last night while doing Step & Intervals I could see my thighs have filled out, there's that bulge there!! Yeah! I had to get my eyes off the mirror so that I could focus on the workout seeing how short it was. Afterward, just because I was feeling great I hopped on the stairstepper for 15 minutes, nice steady pace!

I think this weekend while previewing S&H, I can work out something so that on the evenings I run I can go into the circuit room and do a few sets of leg extensions/curls and some calf raises. I really need to do more calf work. I can't see any muscle development unless I raise up on my tip toes and who wants to go walking around like that all day!? :+

Hope I haven't forgotten to mention anything! :eek: If so ...I'll be back!

Angie

Hi Maribeth!

Great to see you're still checking in with us occasionally! I've missed your expert advice.

Yes, it's easy to get caught up in the forums. I guess I'm lucky - I've got a job where I've often got a lot of time on my hands and easy, speedy Internet access.

Angela

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.