Eat during workout?

sammy123

Cathlete
So does anybody else become so hungry during a strength workout that you have to stop and eat before you can continue? I eat about 45 minutes before I start, but sometimes I have to stop and eat a banana or a Larabar (or both) before I finish. Is it just wrong?

Yes! I've had this happen during heavy strength workouts. I usually eat nuts or peanut butter or something like that. It's not wrong!! :)

Not yet, but I am really careful with beforehand nutrition after having to stop a workout altogether when I became lightheaded from lack of fuel. At least 200 calories of digested carbs within half an hour of the workout, on top of a solid breakfast/lunch, and lots of water during, or I can't make my STS numbers.

Usually not, because i've eaten beforehand, but if I don't eat a decent amount of calories before a heavy weight session then yes. I've stopped a couple times for a protein bar before I could move on! Funny thing is that before I pause I politely ask Cathe to hold on for a second... ha! makes me feel sorta crazy sometimes :)

Yes, towards the end of a heavy weight workout, sometimes I am STARVING!! I have yet to stop and get food, however. I just suck it up and wait till the end.

Nope.
If I think I might not have enough fuel to keep hunger at bay during a workout, I have a pre-workout smoothie with frozen banana, chia seeds (good for stamina) , a handful of goji berries and some coconut water.

I have never eaten during a workout--never thought of it and have really never felt hungry. I workout first thing in the a.m--usually about 6 a.m--and don't even eat before it. I don't like to work out with something in my stomach. Afterward I walk the dogs and then have breakfast--oatmeal and fruit.

Some days I can start getting pretty hungry during my workout, but I just keep going! My energy doesn't drop, I can just tell it's getting close to dinner time! Of course, then, after my workout, it's me who has to cook, so it's usually another half hour to an hour before I actually sit down with my meal!

When I lift heavy I get hungry - but I workout before lunch so when I'm done I jump in the shower and then have lunch. Maybe you should have a protein shake right before the workout and that might help. I wouldn't eat in the middle of a w/o, it might make you sick. Autumn

Yes, I have but not very often.

If I'm feelilng hungry or weak and I still have a lot of the workout ahead of me I get a very little snack. I'll get a spoonful of cottage cheese and a little bit of orange juice or maybe a few bites of an apple. The snack gives me enough energy to have a great workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.