Earthquake across the east coast

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
Wow, did anyone feel that earthquake at 1:58 eastern time? At least that's when it hit hear in Glassboro NJ. The whole gym shook and I felt like I was walking in a fun house there for a minute or so. From what I hear it was a powerful 5.8 down south and traveled as far as Toronto. That was my first ever as far as experiencing an earthquake.

Hi Cathe! I work on the 11th floor of an office building in downtown Norfolk VA. The building shook, my desk drawers and credenza doors opened, I grabbed my purse, phone and ran down the stairs to get outside. We had no idea what it was for awhile but everywhere we looked people were pouring out of the office buildings. Scary! Doesn't appear to be any immediate damage, fortunately. Now if Hurricane Irene goes out to sea all will be well!

I'm in Baltimore and I sure felt it. It was rather frightening, actually! Hope everyone out there is ok.

I'm in Baltimore as well and we definitely felt it. Most intense one I can ever remember us having!

Yikes!! That was a BIGGIE!! I live in CO but lived through the Loma Prieta in the Bay Area back in 1987.... TERRIFYING since I used to travel the Richmond Bridge frequently and to see it sandwich was surreal!!

I also felt the big-time effects of the Northridge quake in San Diego back in....?. I have NEVER enjoyed them. Some people think they are "fun" The Loma Prieta was the LONGEST earthquake of my life... felt like it would just keep going.

Sure glad you are all okay! Calming vibes coming your way!!

Hugs!!

Pam

Felt it here in Albany NY. I work on the 5th floor and my desk was swaying and windows/doors were rattling. It lasted quite a long time and it was very scary! :confused:

I felt it! I was at my desk and actually felt my chair shaking. I grabbed my desk and it was shaking just as bad. Pretty scary!! I am in Charleston WV

Linda

Hi Cathe! I work on the 11th floor of an office building in downtown Norfolk VA. The building shook, my desk drawers and credenza doors opened, I grabbed my purse, phone and ran down the stairs to get outside. We had no idea what it was for awhile but everywhere we looked people were pouring out of the office buildings. Scary! Doesn't appear to be any immediate damage, fortunately. Now if Hurricane Irene goes out to sea all will be well!

I have family in Norfolk VA. :)

Here in N.E. OH I didn't feel a thing, but my next store neighbor did. :confused:

I felt it and knew right away. I am an hour west of Toronto. Felt the same thing 17 months ago when Ottawa reported an earthquake. I was sitting in my chair having a late lunch and both the chair & me started to shake. I was at my computer 17 months ago and felt the same thing but not as intense. I am so thankful that no one was hurt.

We felt it here in central MD also. Its funny how people here in Maryland were all thinking, wow that's a big truck, that plane is flying low, is that hail? :D:D Afterwards they found out it was an earthquake. No one thought earthquake first. So many funny responses.

We felt it here in central MD also. Its funny how people here in Maryland were all thinking, wow that's a big truck, that plane is flying low, is that hail? :D:D Afterwards they found out it was an earthquake. No one thought earthquake first. So many funny responses.

So true. I am in MD near the APG I thought that it was an explosion, or a helicopter, or something from the proving ground... until the house just would not stop shaking. Crazy!

I was on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington DC and I felt it. The entire building was shaking. The light fixtures were swaying, I did not know what was happening so I grabbed my purse and got out of there. The streets were flooded with people, fire trucks and police. Metro was packed with panic stricken people trying to get home. Metro traveled at 10 mph so it was a long ride. I was glad to get home.

Jo

I felt it 2 hours west of Detroit in Grand Rapids, MI. I felt like I was losing my balance. We had a tremor last December and a huge one in 1985 because a fault line follows along M-66 that changes into Route 66.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.