Early Morning Workouts

princessbear

Cathlete
I've been working out early in the a.m. for the past 6 months (it's more convenient for me with my work hours). My dilemna is - how do I get some fuel in me before working out and allow it time to digest beforehand? I wake up at 5:15ish and need to start working out by 5:45 if I want to get an hour in and get to work on time. I've been having a Dannon Activia yogurt before, which is light and doesn't make me quesy - but I aso don't think it's enough fuel. Suggestions anyone?

Thanks,

Mary

I also work out very early in the morning but I can't even think about eating then. I just have tea, walk my dog and then workout. I eat afterwards. Don't know if this is what I should be doing but it works for me.

Try half a banana in addition to your yogurt. I can do fasted cardio if it's walking, but for anything more energetic, I need caffiene and some light carbs!

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

My energy level is at it's highest in the mornings and I don't feel the need for anything other than coffee. (gotta have my coffee). I do notice though if I have had a light dinner the night before then my workout is compromised so you might consider making sure your dinner has enough protein and complex carbs to carry you through.

doesn't it feel great to get it out of the way and be energized for the rest of the day?

I have half of a whole wheat english muffin with a little peanut butter about 20 minutes before I work out. Sometimes I just have a banana, but I need to have something.

Plus, the earlier you eat, the sooner you kick start your body for the day and burning those calories!!
Jenn

I also have to eat about 20 minutes before my workouts, so I'm with Jenn on having a full or half whole wheat English muffin with some PB or almond butter, or perhaps a smallish banana. :)

Your body isn't going to be able to process whatever you put in it right before your workout. I'd say eat as much as you need to feel comfortable throughout your workout, but don't feel that your gains are going to be compromised by the meal you eat immediately prior. Your body is going to be feeding off the glycogen stores from the day before.

I can't eat before my AM workouts either.

Lack of sleep affects my workouts more than anything. I can do a tough workout on an empty stomach, but if I'm cheating myself of sleep, I feel like absolute crap.

I do my cardio workouts on an empty stomach as I know that is better for you - and don't eat for an hour after cardio. Being new to the a.m. workouts I felt like I should eat SOMETHING after the all night sleep/fast before a weight-training workout... but have limited time from the time I wake up to when I have to get started. Coffee, of course, is THE must though. I love getting it over with in the morning and it makes me feel energized for the day. I know myself as well - and after a LONG day at work will be to exhausted to do any weights OR cardio at night. I am still stuck in the old bodybuilding days of having something to eat about an hour before lifting - but then again, I was lifting crazy heavy and doing it in the evenings.

Thanks everyone for your input... it's all very much appreciated.

Mar

I think the idea of have a banana mixed with the yogurt is a good one. The banana has wonderful nutrients and aids in digestion. It should also fill you up & give you a bit of energy. :D

After years of not eating anything before my morning workout it was recommended that I eat at least 1/2 a banana and that works well for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.