doggies and dry skin....

tina72382

Cathlete
Hiya! My golden has a skin issue, I wanted to know if any of you are familar with goldens. I read that it's common for goldens to have allergies. I don't know if this has anything to do with that.

anyways, he has dry skin on his back between his shoulder blades, and the skin is darker in color than the rest of him. Poor thing, if I check on it and rub it, he kicks his leg and I can tell he is soo itchy!

Well let me know what ya think :) Thanks! -Christina

Hi Christina,

A friend of mine has a lab/shepherd mix who had dry skin problems that were allergy related. I believe she ended up switching to a food that didn't contain corn or wheat and that did help.

You could also check with your vet about that.

HTH

Hi Christina,

I have an English Mastiff who has the same problem. He loses his hair around a certain area and the skin underneath is black.(he is a tan color) I took him to the vet and she said it was allergies. This happens once a year and takes about 7 months for the hair to grow back. He first lost his hair about 3 years ago. Hope this helps.

P.S.there was no treatment according to my vet

Hmmm. Perhaps he needs some oil? Give him some olive oil or vitamin E oil. Or, check with your vet for some "lick lick" that is liquid vitamins in a form of a paste. My cats have dry flaky skin and the vitamin E oil or lick lick did the trick!

Hope this helps.
Lorrayne

We use a product from Drs Fosters & Smith called Vita Coat Plus. You just squirt a little on their food. Our dog loves it and it helped with some dry patches he had. It also made his coat really soft and shiny!

They have a web site that you can order from or request a catalog. If I can find my latest catalog I will post the site but if you google it I am sure you would find them.

ETA - here is the website: www.DrsFosterSmith.com My experience has been good - quick delivery. They are in the same state though so not sure if that makes a difference other than we have to pay sales tax. :(

Hi Christina.

I have a golden pup. He is 6 months. He's my second golden so his name is Deuce.

My first golden (who is no longer with me) and this pup also have dry skin. It's a golden thing. In the summer, I shave their coat off to help with hot spots and let his skin breathe. This helped alot as my first golden would end up getting steroid shots because he would knaw himself until he bled. I leave the plume on their tail and the hair on their head. They look like a lab except for their tails.

Another thing that really helped was giving him ground flaxseed. I gave him 1 tbsp a day. (I take it myself everyday so it's not an additional cost)Flaxseed also helped when my first golden was diagnosed with diabetes. It really leveled out his blood sugar.

My poor pup is broke out right now. I haven't started shaving him yet as he's hyper and won't sit still. I plan to start the flaxseed slowly to avoid any accident with loose stools.

My husband said the pup was chewing on an amaryliss (I'm not sure I spelled this right). They are toxic to dogs so needless to say, it's being pulled up right now....this might explained why he has little bumps all over him. We haven't changed any food or shampoo.

Good Luck
Donna

Hi Christina -
My Sheppard gets itchy and flaky every winter. My vet told me to put a tablespoon of oil into his food twice a day. I used regular olive oil and canola oil (depening on what I had) It worked fine for us.
Liz

Thanks for all of your input! We tried shaving him today, but our cheap conair clippers didn't do the trick. I may just get him shaved. WE also bought him some Iams, as I read that better quality food can help, especially with allergies. He gets and oil supplement each day too. WE'll keep an eye on it. Thanks again! -Christina

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.