Does anyone use Vegetarian dog food?

Jcrew3082

Cathlete
Hi all,

My little Mikey is out of his "special food" from the vet, and I'd really like to buy him some vegetarian or vegan dry dog food. I would like to know if anyone uses a particular brand or has had positive/negative experiences.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have dogs, but from what I've read, they do much better on a vegetarian diet (with the proper food) than cats, who have more specific needs for taurine and some other nutrients (I wish it were the other way around, because I don't like living with carnivores! Even though I love THEM!)

One place to check for food is www.veganstore.com . The owner of the web site is a vegan who has two or three dogs who are on the vegan food they sell. Also, there is a place called wowbow that sells vegan or vegetarian dog food (they gave up on the cat food, I think).

You could probably find some people who feed veggie dog food to their pets on the www.vegsource.com forum. I'd also do a web search on "vegetarian dog" to see if there are any articles out there and studies done.

Thanks Kathryn! I will take a look on those sites. I can't get my parents to stop giving him meat, but I'm hoping that I can at least reduce his meat intake.

Hope you are doing well!

Hi--
I have to agree with the last post....dogs, by nature, aren't vegetarians. In the wild, if they have a choice between hunting down a rabbit, or eating a block of soy...well...
There are dog foods out there that are healthier "meat based" diets, made without "junk." I have 6 dogs, and the foods I use are Innova, or Solid Gold. Check out their labels. There's another food out there that uses top grade human ingredients in it, such as non-hormonal lamb--I can't think of the name and yet I can see the package!! I'll have to post this to you later if you're interested.
You can always add vegetables to your dog's diet.
Lisa:9 :9

Dogs are actually more omnivorous than cats. They can do well on vegetarian diets that provide all the needed nutrients. Some companies make ready-to-eat foods.

Yeah...I'm with you. Dogs are carnivores by nature. Sure, they'll eat veggies - but I wouldn't give it to them as their entire diet. My dog eats vegetables, fruit, chocolate, boots, Juicy Fruit, cat poop...

Dogs are carnivores. Fact. I think it's really sad when owners start straying away from their anaimals natural diet. Not only do i think it cruel, i think it competely unnattural. Dogs will eat chocolate, sure, and they like sugar, but if you have a bit of chicken in one had and a cholocate in the other they'll go for the chicken 99% of the time. That speaks volumes.

Dogs are classified as carnivores. They have never been classified as omnivores. Their gastric systems and gastric enzymes are not at all suited to digesting plant proteins. In fact, the plant subsatnces found in wild dog stomachs is only 5-10% of the total stomach content and was predigested ie. only in the dogs stomach because it was in the stomach of its prey. I suppose vegan dog food provides suitable predigested plant protein but who knows if this is a good food for dogs. They evolved and are best suited for a carnivore diet. I agree with Wayne, don't impose your vegan ways on a dog. Dogs are carnivores not omnivores.

I would check with my vet before I started messing around with my dog's diet. Sometimes I think we forget they are not really human and have special needs.

PLEAE BE CAREFUL ;(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.