Does Anyone Sprout Her Own Grains?

sparrow13

Cathlete
One of my fall projects is to start making my own Ezekiel bread and so I need to sprout grains. Anyone have any tips or advice? Good websites?

Thanks!

Sprouting is really easy - I've done it in the past but you can grow a lot really quickly and then you have to eat them or cook with them - that's where the work comes in.

Check out www.sproutpeople.net

I've sprouted grain (spelt, kamut and wheat) and made bread with it.

It's really easy to sprout grains in a mason jar.
Just put 1/4 of the jar size or less of grains in the jar, fill with water, and soak overnight. Then rinse and tip the jar upside down at a 45-degree angle (a dish drainer works well for this). Make sure the grains don't cover the opening completely, so you have air circulation. Rinse and drain 2x/day.

You can make screens for the top of a jar by buying some needlepoint mesh sheets and cutting circles to the same size as the inner solid lid that comes with the 2-piece jar lid.

When I rinse, I usually go to my shower nozzle (which has a chlorine filter on) and run water into the jar until it comes out the top.

This is a good time to sprout, IMO, as it's not too hot and humid (which makes mold more of a problem, and requires more frequent rinsing) and not too cold (which slows growth of the sprouts).

Need recipe for Ezekiel bread

I have the Sproutmaster trays. You don't NEED them, as a jar works fine, but I really like the trays. They look nice on the counter and you can stack them to save space--and they have dividers so you can do different sprouts in one tray. Plus you just reverse the lid so that it's tight fighting, and it works as a crisper container in your fridge. I have one large (good for larger amounts like when you're doing bread) and three small (good for alfalfa or broccoli). The trays come with instructions. And the instructions give amounts of grains/seeds to use for which container.

Sprouting is really easy. The hard part for me is remembering to rinse morning and night--but that's my brain.

I'm looking for a good recipe for Ezekiel bread. I've been looking and experimenting, but I haven't found just what I want. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.