Does anyone have 18lb dumbbells?

elsie3

Cathlete
As I was doing GS Chest & Triceps yesterday, I was wondering how I was ever going to jump from 15's to 20's. Right now, the 20's are way too much. Does anyone have 18lb dumbbells? I considered getting some years ago (in my Firm days), but never did.

Thanks,

Carol F

Do they make 18 pounders? I've never seen any. If anyone finds them, lemme know!

I think you may have to get platemates to add onto your existing dumbells to make them heavier.

On chest work, I managed to go from 16 pounds (a 15 pound dumbell and a 1 pound wrist weight) to 20 pounds as a jump. But depending on the muscle being worked, you are right, this jump can be way too much.

What helped me to make the jump from 16 to 20 was to do it with S&H series first, then replicate it with the GS series.

Clare

I've never seen 18lb dbs. Spri Products is one of the few places where I've fouond odd weights (6, 7, 9lb, etc.) but they don't have 18lb listed on their website, unless I just didn't look hard enough.

http://www.spriproducts.com/subcategory.cfm

For jumps in weight like that, I use adjustable dbs. You can buy 3/4 lb plates from Big 5 or Sports Authority. Right now, I have a set of dbs loaded at 17.5lb which I use for back work. Just take the weight of the bar itself into account when choosing your weight.

Lunacat

I hold two dumbells in one hand. 12 and 5 makes 17. 10 and 8 makes 18. That's how I move from 15-20. Also, I hold one pound wrist weights with a dumbell. That way, I can get 11, 13, 16, 21. It really helps to have more choices.

Just a suggestions from me would be to do one set with 20lbs, and then the second and third with the 15's. Or the first two sets with 20lbs and the last with the 15's. Or if doing the gymstlye chest you could do the 20's for the flat bench and then drop to 15lbs for the declines. Karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

I've never seen 18# db's (though 8# and 12# exist, so they don't just come in 5# increments).

I have Platemates that allow me to add either 2.5# or 1.25# to any of my dumbbells (depending on which set of my Platemates I use), so I can make 16.25# and 17.5# out of my 15# dumbbells (and, if I wanted, I could combine them for and added 3.75# for a total of 18.75#, but I really wouldn't like the Platemates stickiing out that far).

Platemates seem expensive (can't remember what I paid for each pair, but you need to buy two pair of each because they go two on a dumbbell), but they are SO worth it, IMO. Being able to go up in smaller increments really is better on your body.

That would be nice. Some good ideas here, that I'll have to try real soon. I've been thinking that I need to go up, too, but on the chest fly exercise 20 is too much for me right now. I tried it once and couldn't do chest for over a week because the area was tender.

Holding two dumbbells? Hmm, I would be worried I'd drop it on my head or something! :(

Dallas

I often use my three pound ankle weight strapped around my wrist. So 15's become 18's really easily. This definitely helped me make the jump to 20's as my hands are too small to safely or easily hold two heavier dumbbells. I was thinking the same thing myself about ever going heavier than 20, but I'll worry about that when I get there (which I'm sure won't be for awhile yet!).
Mattea

Carol...I got an adjustable Dumbell set at Target some time ago and you can make 18lbs with it. Probably cost about $40. But now I use mainly my Bowflex Select Tech Dumbells, they are pricey! They start at 5lb and go up in 2.5lb increments to 25lb and then 5lb increments to 50lb....no, I haven't used the 50....maybe for the plie squats in S&H...:)...Carole

Well I think this is the first time I can get something overhere, you can't get in the US :)

Dumbells range from 0.5 european pounds adding 0.5 pounds at a time to 11 pounds then they go up by 2 pounds at a time to 22 pounds. After that they go up with 11 pounds at a time.

I also have plate mates and I have adjustable dumbells too, where I can add on as much or as little as I like. They are kind of like tiny barbells :)

Dutchie

:)

>That would be nice. Some good ideas here, that I'll have to
>try real soon. I've been thinking that I need to go up, too,
>but on the chest fly exercise 20 is too much for me right now.
> I tried it once and couldn't do chest for over a week because
>the area was tender.

I don't do more than 17.5# on flyes. This is an isolation move, so it logically takes less weight than a chest press, which is a compound move. In PUB, where Cathe moves from one to another, I simply change dumbbells, so I do the flyes at 12/15/17/5# and the presses at 15/20/25#. I plan to go up in my presses (to 17.5/22/5/27.5 then to 20/25/30) but not in my flyes. I personally don't think my shoulders would like to try that heavy a weight.

Holding two dumbbells works for small dumbbells (ie: 5# + 3# to make 8#) and in moves like bicep curls or lat rows, where you are not under the weight and can control your grip better, but I would try flyes/presses or overhead moves with them.

I have to use wrist weights to increase my resistance incrementally. I can't hold two dumbells at once - my hands are too small!!

--Lois

"If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning" - Mahatma Ghandi

Thanks for your replies, guys!

Carole, you reminded me that I have an adjustable set of dumbbells that came with my barbell set. Duh! I just didn't think about it. I use one for a 25# dumbell for when I do lat rows. It didn't even dawn on me that I could make a set of 17.5#s. I'll try it next Monday.

A local sporting goods store used to have 18# dumbbells, but I don't know if they still carry them--that was years ago (before my 3rd child, and he's 5 now). If they do, I think I'll grab a pair because my adjustable dumbbells are kind-of bulky.

Thanks, as always, for your input.

Carol F

Thanks Kathyrn. I don't feel so wimpy now! LOL!;-) I have 15# dumbbells and then jump to 20#. 15# seems too light, so I'll figure something out for those flyes.

Yeah, I do 2 8# dumbbells for one arm rows in one of Cathe's work outs. It must be a total body work out because I haven't done those in awhile.

Dallas

Coming late to this thread because I found it during a search for something else. About 8 years ago I found an ebay auction for 18 lb chrome dumbells. I forget the price, but they were a reasonable price. The seller had several pairs and the picture looked good. I can kick myself for not ordering these. This was the first time I had ever looked and I found them (well, dh found them). I thought they would be easy to find again. Never happened :( . I guess they weren't a commen purchase among men. I say this because I think catering to women who use weights at home has and is changing. Now, there are things like adjustable dumbbells and platemates which are good for men and women. My loss.

jordan

I've got to second (third?) the Platemate suggestion. I had a really hard time increasing upper body weights until I bought these. I use them constantly, and even though they seem expensive, they've been worth every penny. Like Kathryn, I have 4 sets: 2 sets @ 5/8 lb each and 2 sets @ 1.25 lbs each. I have even only used one Platemate on a dumbbell for certain exercises.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.