Do you take antidepressants?

Do you take antidepressants?

• Total voters

Fach

Cathlete
After reading the thread about lower sex drive I was very surprised at how many posters take antidepressants. I thought those who work out consistantly and watched their diet would be less likely to require meds. It would be interesting to see what percentage of us take them.

Fach, I answered no but years ago I did take them. They helped through some pretty tough times but I was as glad to get off of them as I was to get on them. I hate the term 'happy pill', it's such a misnomer and smacks of ignorance and indifference toward those who suffer with the black shroud that is depression.

Take Care
Laurie:)

Paxil. For anxiety. I'm a fast-forward type person and my system seems to need something to calm me down or I end up with all kinds of physical side effects like dizziness and heart palpitations. Wish there was an alternative. Even exercising doesn't fix the problem. :-(

I did take Celexa for a couple years. It got to the point where I felt like it was doing more harm than good and I stopped taking it--just quit cold turkey. I began exercising regularly and never felt the need for antidepressants again. It is perfectly normal for people to get depressed from time to time. I just don't think it's healthy for people to be on medication for the long-term unless it's absolutely necessary--like chemical imbalance or something.

I don't now, but I did a long time ago. I then realized my diet was causing my depression. I was exercising, but didn't have the diet right. White sugar is toxic to my system and sends me into a deep, deep depression, triggers migraines too.

Was very stubborn about taking them for years and even with all my healthy eating, exercising, yoga, stress relief tapes and therapy I found it was the only thing to help with the panic attacks and then depression that followed. I spent a lot of money trying to fix something that only seemed to get better through medication.

I answered "no" because I am just tapering of from Celexa and Wellbutrin which I have been on for the last year and a half and which have done sweet FA for me. I am going to be on nothing now, or maybe Buspar for anxiety. Adios antidepressants for good.

Clare

Not currently, but I had to take Wellbutrin for a bad bout with depression about 2 years ago. Exercising regularly helps, but I was at a point back then that no exercise was going to help me out of, so I was prescribed Wellbutrin and individual counseling. I have to say, it worked, and I'd do it all over again if I saw the signs again.

Sometimes it's beneficial to have been to Hell and back... at least you can recognize the scenery when you're being sucked back to it.

I have been on Zoloft for almost a year now to help my perimenopausal (sp)symptoms:* ...I was having anxiety attacks as well as being extremely moody and the drugs have really helped out...Welcome to getting older!;-)

Debra

I answered no - but I did take Wellbutrin about 6 years ago for 6 months. I then started exercising regularly and taking care of myself and the depression eventually lifted. They were very helpful during the time that I took them.

I did the ST.johns, hours of yoga, scrupulous diet, but in my late thirties, with two small children, a home and full time ICU job - and finally a period every month -only had 4 a year for most of my life...I found that 2 weeks of every month I literally shook with feelings of being overwhelmed and failing...and with a mom who's a couselor, I KNEW it was physical...so I was part of an early trial, using zoloft for pms...and it felt like a cloud lifted and the churning in my stomach stopped. At 45, I take it daily now....because, in addition to the above, I'm now also teaching yoga and homeschooling my kids....and with the changes in chemistry of middle age, and my high strung disposition, medication brings me to normal, it isn't a happy pill....I am open about it because people always feel the need to justify it...my answer is, when a diabetic doesn't take insulen, they are fools, if one suffers with distress of the spirit - just as taxing, long term on immunity, is one not foolish not to treat it?

I wean off slowly twice a year, and one day, maybe I won't need them to be the person I want to be....

Love to all!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.