Do you have problem with traps getting big? FIRM VS Cathe- switching?

amynicole

Cathlete
Hi,

I was looking at old photos of myself and had a long thin neck and almost no trap/visible neck muscle. I have lost 85 lbs in the past 13 months and still have about 50-60 or so to go. I have noticed lately that my trap/neck area is almost football playerish. I have been using the FIRM for weight training and cathe step tapes as part of my cardio.

I'm so disgusted with my neck area I'm thinking about just quitting the FIRM altogether and focusing only on cardio to get my neck to shrink. Its NOT a good look. I tend to build muscle easily. I had to give up the FIRM tall box because my thighs were getting too big and found Cathe step great for slimming and toning my legs.

Do Cathe's weight workouts give you the neck/trap problem?

Has anyone switched from the FIRM to Cathe and gotten smaller - not just in the neck but other areas as well?

I'm just burned out on and bored with the FIRM.

I have every cardio workout Cathe has but the only Cathe weight ones I have are the ones that happen to be on the same DVDs or videos as cardio (like wedding tape etc.)

Hi,
Stop doing upright rows and shrugs. That's what building up that area. Every time they do those on your firm workouts, do something else. That should bring the traps down.

Violette

RE: Do you have problem with traps getting big? FIRM VS...

I had that EXACT problem when I was doing the Firm too!!:eek: I did the Firm exclusively for a long time until I found Cathe about four years ago. Now that I do not use any of my Firm tapes anymore the problem has completely disappeared. Not to mention every other area is better looking and in better shape!!! Go Cathe!!!!!

I notice that happening once in a while, and I hate it too. When I notice it, I do what Violette suggested and avoid shrugs (which I usually don't do anyway) and upright rows (which I usually modify anyway.

You may also want to work the shoulders by doing lateral raises and rear and forward raises rather than overhead presses, as the latter engage the traps as well.

I agree with the other posters about what to avoid. Here's another possibility that happened with me....I found that I was tensing my shoulders instead of relaxing them for all upper body work (bicep curls, tricep curls.....). I was buidling my traps without even realizing it...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.