Do you do abs everyday or every other?

Good morning,

My DH and I are doing abs together. He is doing his everyday and I'm doing every other day. I read or hear some say do abs three times a week and some say everyday is fine. I know you can help me with this. I want to do the one that gives the most results.

Thanks for all your help in advance.

I have been pretting slack on abs also.

kim

I do mine 3x week tops, but not in a row. The abs need a rest just like any other muscle group. It would be overkill, just like working any other muscle back to back.

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

I'm guilty of working mine almost every day. I can't reconcile myself with the fact that only working them 3 times a week will give me what I want. I have a fairly decent six pack. If only I could get rid of the fat over it, life would be dandy.

I did mine everyday for about a yr and they looked much better, I am going to start doing that again.... Rhonda

I work my abs almost everyday. If I don't on a particular day it was because I ran out of time. However I have come to the conclusion the only way I will have a six pack is to go buy it from the liqour store! Since I don't drink that won't happen either! :)

Terri

I work mine alomst everyday. I enjoy working my abs. Plus, ever since I started working my abs I never have any back pain (something that started to happen after I turned 40).

Joanne

I work mine everyday as well. It is more of a compulsion at this point, but I do notice the difference. I won't do Coremax every day, but I will do one section of AB Hits every day.

Hi Kim! Well I'm w/the philosophy that you wouldn't work your biceps every day & therefore you shouldn't work your abs every day either. If your working them really hard, there's absolutely no reason to do this. Its a muscle after all & needs time to repair itself & build. Working them every day serves no purpose. But that's just my .02. Kathy:D

BTW: I work mine 3x a week doing 10 different exercises at 25 reps each. Takes 15 min.

There's a lot of conflicting info out there on abs. My tendency is to do what works for me so I work my abs just about every day. If I could get rid of my waist fat, they would probably look spectacular. However, I don't work other muscle groups that way at all.

Lunacat

I think it's a matter of what works for you the best. I think I had better muscle definition in my abs when I did 8-10 minutes of ab work 5 days a week (monday thru friday). I've changed my routine so that I'm doing coremax 2x a week now but don't think that's quite enough for me. YMMV...

I used to do ab work almost every day, but I still didn't have the abs I wanted.

I decided to go back to only 3-4 times a week after reading this in DH's June 2005 Men's Health pg.140:

"Edging closer to sharp abs can tempt you to work them every day. Don't. Training more can actually make your abs show less. 'You don't need to overwork your abs....If you're always in a state of overtraining, you're going to get more laxity in your muscles'. In other words, they'll appear soft."

>"Edging closer to sharp abs can tempt you to work them every
>day. Don't. Training more can actually make your abs show
>less. 'You don't need to overwork your abs....If you're always
>in a state of overtraining, you're going to get more laxity in
>your muscles'. In other words, they'll appear soft."

Interesting Lori Ann. I used to work them everyday when I had more time to work out. Now I alternate every other day. I try to get at least 3 in a week.

Dallas

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.