Do "split" routines really work???

Thanks for the information, Katerchen! I am definitely an endomorph, but with abd. issues rather than hip issues. It is true that i'm not super strong, but can go long distance and don't do well with ball or what I consider team sports. I hate push ups, so I start every upper body/chest day with as many as I can do to try to get better at them! I tend to "listen to my body" and do what I feel like doing on any given day. It's worked out to more upper body weights and long cardios. So I think your body really does know what it needs. Thanks again, Beth.

I'm 47 and restarting after about 1 year off. Do you think it's best to restart with total body workouts 3x a week?

My plan was to do the 5-1/2 month STS rotation mixing in 4 -6 cardio sessions, eventually. But I don't want to waste time if it's better to start with total body workouts. I know everyone is different so I'm just looking for a rule of thumb. Maybe 2 months of total body and then STS?

I have High Reps, Power Hour and just downloaded Muscle Endurance.

Cheers,
Jane

I would agree with this as well.

I'm 47 and restarting after about 1 year off. Do you think it's best to restart with total body workouts 3x a week?

My plan was to do the 5-1/2 month STS rotation mixing in 4 -6 cardio sessions, eventually. But I don't want to waste time if it's better to start with total body workouts. I know everyone is different so I'm just looking for a rule of thumb. Maybe 2 months of total body and then STS?

I have High Reps, Power Hour and just downloaded Muscle Endurance.

Cheers,
Jane

Jane,
I've been doing ONLY upper body 3x per week (mixed wth 3x week cardio) for a LOOOOOOOONG time; however, I really noticed differences in strength and endurance when I started doing Cathe about 10 months ago with High Reps, STSTB, HiiT workouts, as well as KPC and Step Blast. I have just started my 3rd week of doing Gym Styles and love the challenge! The weights are heavier and the time spent on muscle groups is much longer than you can do in total body workouts. I felt that I had built up a nice "base" with the total body workouts and it prepared me for Gym Styles. I'm one of those "mix-o" morphs: ecto arms and calves, meso back, and endo from waist to knees!
I think that as long as you've had experience with Cathe's workouts you'll be okay transitioning to STS. I've seen many posts by ladies who were beginners when they started STS and they just used lighter weights and paced themselves a little slower. Maybe you should go to the STS thread and get some feedback??? I really have respect for anyone who attacks that program!

Thanks for posting that, Katerchen. I learned something new! When I read that endo's might not like jumping, it made me feel better about my dread toward the Hiit-type workouts. I love spinning, endurance running, kickboxing and everything else Cathe but ..... I have to be really pumped and well-rested to mentally take on Intensity or Hiit. I'll stop beating myself up now ...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back