Disintegrating dynaband

putz168

Cathlete
Has anyone else's dynaband ripped mid-exercise? Mine did twice this past weekend. Is this common, or are there ways to maximize the life of these things? Is it like my swim cap that requires a dusting of powder after each use before storage or what? Thanks!

Beth

If it even has a hole in it, it's time for a new band!

Kathryn keeps hers in a way (I think she puts in cornstarch?) that attempts to prolong the band's life.

>Kathryn keeps hers in a way (I think she puts in cornstarch?)
>that attempts to prolong the band's life.

Nope, I buy the non-dynabands (non-latex) that specifically say you don't have to powder them to increase their lifespan.

As for keeping them longer: keep them out of heat and sunlight. If they are latex Dynabands, dusting them with baby powder before storing them is supposed to help prolong their life.

> Kathryn has never posted in a
>thread with the word "cornstarch" in it

Hmm...that might make an interesting epitaph. Whadya think?;-)

>>Kathryn keeps hers in a way (I think she puts in
>cornstarch?)
>>that attempts to prolong the band's life.
>
>
>Nope, I buy the non-dynabands (non-latex) that specifically
>say you don't have to powder them to increase their lifespan.
>
>As for keeping them longer: keep them out of heat and
>sunlight. If they are latex Dynabands, dusting them with baby
>powder before storing them is supposed to help prolong their
>life.

Kathryn, where are you getting non-latex bands? I HAVE had a band rip while using it and I've also noticed a marked decrease in elasticity in the latex bands I have.

Hi Beth!

This just happened to me last week when I was working out to one of Cathe's that uses Dynabands. I think it was the Low Impact Circuit workout. I got a new band and this time read the instructions that came with it. It says you should apply baby powder to it after each use. I just put it in a zip-loc bag and shake. Hopefully this will do the trick. Hope this helps! Have a great Fourth of July!!

Sharon :)

Hi Everyone (Happy 4th) ! I just wanted to confirm everything that was stated here regarding the use of either baby powder or cornstarch to increase the lifespan of your band. Also yes, there are non-latex bands available for those who do not prefer that powdery residue that comes with the latex band purchase.

I personally have a sneezing attack along with watery red eyes for hours after using freshly powdered latex bands. Therefore, for the Fitness By Cathe line I specifically requested 6 foot length Non-Latex bands in the line. Btw, we will have the Fitness By Cathe products on display at the Road Trip so if you are going you'll be able to check them out.

I hope you are all enjoying a day of play, fun and unfortunately not much sun over in the north east. At least it is still warm outside :7

Good question Catherine! I have to check with Altus who is having them flown in. I know they are sending some things in to be raffled off for prizes but I'm not sure if there was enough to be sold as well. The boxes are already in transit.

I wish I could be there! At least I'll be there in spirit! Thanks for the tip about powder. I was wonderin' the same thing myself with the bands. Happy 4th!

Annette Bethel

I bought Cathe's non latex bands 9 months ago and the medium band already has a rip in it. Can I still use this band? Do these bands need to be powdered after use?

I have had this problem now with TWO of the orange cathe firewalker bands. :( The first one I only had two weeks! They were kind enough to send a second one, but now after four weeks that one is broken as well. I figure it must be something I am doing - maybe I will try the cornstarch. For now it gives me push I need to use the blue one, I guess.:eek:

Blame the photochemical smog and ozone for degrading your rubber, plastics, and exercise bands :(.
Nothing you can do about it, really.:confused:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.