Diet Question Please?

lorajeanne

Cathlete
Hi,

I'm 56......my DH and I disagree. I've had a heck of a time trying to loose 40 pounds I gained going thru a horrid menopausal time! (other stuff involved). I am now only eating 2 meal replacement protein drinks a day a 2 healthy snacks with a large salad for dinner. I do have a weakness for popsicles -- which is a no brainer to cut out and angel-food cake....which I no is a no-no!!

Other than those 2 things - he says I'm not eating enough food. He says I need to eat either 3 square meals or 5 small meals. I don't want to do this, as then I would probably gain 40 more pounds rather than loose it!!

I know diet is a delicate subject......so please leave my love for angel food cake and popsicles out of this....at least I don't crave or eat chocolate anymore since being post menopausal.....and I KNOW to work on that part.....but what about the food. The Salad is only about 440 calories with a half of a wheat roll and 1 slice of swiss cheese......that's with the dressing on it. I'm a vegetarian and I don't cook (SORRY -- no Martha Stewart here ) I will only eat stuff that is easy to make. I have a microwave and a toaster oven. However, I prefer my salad for dinner every night! I don't really want anything else. I do take good supplements for getting my vitamins.

The calories without the popsicles and cake are around 1400. When I searched online, it says a woman of my weight 165 - should eat 1800 calories to loose weight. When I figure out the 21 Day Fix.....it's more like 1200-1400 for me. ???? and on 21 day fix.....I'm starving at 1200-1300.

Last edited:
Does your salad contain some form of protein as well? I'm a believer in buffer foods.. if a popsicle (not a whole box) curbs your cravings and stops you from eating a bunch of other stuff to compensate, than do it. You also have to take into account your activity if you truly want to count the calories and do the macros..

Check out this site (link below) I love these Naturopath docs, they have written two books and their blogs and website have awesome info, I plan on doing their nutrition certification this year, great tips to deal with hormones as we age! :) You need to find what works for your personal metabolism.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/menopause-weight-loss/

All of my protein comes from drinks and cheese/yogurt but my salad has a tiny bit of fresh parmasean and I usually drink a 90/calorie drink for protein with dinner.....however i m not really into doing a whole lot of calculating....just basically trying to find out if I'm eating enough food versus just drinks and snacks per se....like maye its not good enough nutrition to lose the weight.

I would exercise my butt off and starve myself and found I could never loose weight until I finally started eating more. It was super hard to change my way of thinking but if you are exercising Cathe style you may need more food. Try upping by 100 calories of protein a day an see what happens. Google "reverse dieting" for a few articles on the theory of it. Nutrient wise vegans have to plan well...you may be lacking things like b12 and iron which might contribute to your hormone issues.

Hey Lorajeanne. :)
How happy are you about your food? Do you feel fed or are you feeling deprived? Do you really enjoy having as the only real food you eat in a day a salad for supper? I am not a dietition, I have been ovo-vegetarian for 14 years and I am sorry but I agree with your hubby. 3 meals, 5 meals, I don't think that part really matters. From what you are saying, you aren't eating enough nourishment. I think your husband is probably concerned that you aren't taking care of yourself.
How long have you been a vegetarian? Have you considered perhaps seeing a dietition? If you live nearby a large university, their dietitics dept. offer more affordable rates. Have you thought about getting a pressure cooker to eat more nutrient dense vegetarian meals like lentils, beans etc. that only requires minimum prep? Does your husband cook at all?

Hey Lorajeanne. :)
Do you really enjoy having as the only real food you eat in a day a salad for supper? I am not a dietition, I have been ovo-vegetarian for 14 years and I am sorry but I agree with your hubby. 3 meals, 5 meals, I don't think that part really matters. From what you are saying, you aren't eating enough nourishment. Have you thought about getting a pressure cooker to eat more nutrient dense vegetarian meals like lentils, beans etc. that only requires minimum prep? Does your husband cook at all?

Great info!

Lorajeanne,
Those calories sound low to me as well- I'd pass out on 1400 each and every day. My weight is stable at around 2500 cals (I'm 46 and I haven't been through the menopause yet, so I know it could all change over the next few years). You've been given some good advice - Dawn mentioned Metabolic Effect and it's well worth reading some of their articles. Basically it sounds as though you may need to reset your metabolism. Have you been low calorie for a long time? That can lead to thermogenic adaptation (ie the body adjusting to the amount of energy it's receiving). One way of reducing calories, whilst not allowing the body to adapt, is by using intermittent fasting. It may well work for you, as on your non-fast days you could indulge in Popsicles/ angel cake (no judgement, I have my weaknesses too!). It also requires LESS meal prep than usual!

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/

Elsie has a very good point about nutrients. I know there's evidence to suggest it's possible to lose weight on a twinkies diet, but that doesn't mean it's doing you any good.

http://www.rd.com/health/diet-weight-loss/yes-you-canlose-weight-with-twinkies/

If you're willing to do some food prep (no inner Martha necessary), it's possible to enjoy lots of yummy, wholesome meals. I tend to find the food plans aimed at men (eg weightlifting diets for the cutting phase) are simpler to cook ;). How about downloading an app? There are lots out there.

Best of luck, we're all here for you x

Hi Lorajeanne,
I feel your pain. I'm 49 and post menopausal already and it can be challenging to lose weight. I've had some other struggles as well through the past years that resulted in extra unwanted pounds. In my experience, sugar was huge and I'd maybe take a look at your protein drinks to see what all is included on the nutrition list. There can be a lot of hidden sugars that result in more fat retention. I don't cook much either but when I'm motivated i'll certainly try a few things in the kitchen. Maybe you could find a low sugar version or recipe for the angel food cake and popsicles you love? I agree with the others as well about the need for protein and adequate calories which can be difficult when you're also vegetarian. Don't be discouraged, there's always a new day coming so remain positive and keep your goals in mind.
Good luck
Jamie

All of my protein comes from drinks and cheese/yogurt but my salad has a tiny bit of fresh parmasean and I usually drink a 90/calorie drink for protein with dinner.....however i m not really into doing a whole lot of calculating....just basically trying to find out if I'm eating enough food versus just drinks and snacks per se....like maye its not good enough nutrition to lose the weight.

Hey LoraJeanne, as the others said that is not enough and you shouldn't be feeling starved.. your body is not getting what it needs. Also, in addition to getting your nutrition in check, do check out that article, they mention a lot about different ways of exercising as we age as well, it's something that took me a while to accept, I am going on 52 and in menopause.. they talk alot about incorporating plain ole walking to help lower cortisol. AND.. as Justinef said, intermittant fasting is an awesome way to breakthrough some of that stuff too. Not only will that help decrease cortisol, but it spikes HGH, which is something that decreases as we age, weight training, adequate sleep help activate more HGH, but so does fasting.. HGH is your anti-aging, bone bulding, fat burning and muscle building hormone.. These things help you increase it naturally.

I know someone mentioned the sugar above, but that also has an effect on in insulin, which can have it's own effect on weight gain.. I know this is a lot, start with gettting adequate nutrition, there were some AWESOME suggestions in the posts above, then look at how you are exercising to be sure you are incorporating some low key, relaxing elements.. and SLEEP!! Sleep for me was very disrupted at the start of my Peri M journey.. and that has a huge effect on your weight. That book and link I gave you, is a great resource, I've learned a lot about my own body through that and they do give meal suggestions with tips and tricks for Protein/carbs/fat portions during this time of your life! :)

Hang in there!

Thanks for everything so far! What I intermittent fasting? This sounds interesting. My kitchen is very tiny and I don't own any cooking utensils. I LOVE my nightly salad but I don't really great that much and can't lose that's why I'm examining this.

I will spit it out and say that I was bullied very badly at a job around 6 yrs ago and I started drinking wine daily to cope.....when I shoudnt have....menopause made it so much worse.....was soaked at work in hot flash sweat and had to deal with teenagers....or so they acted like. I came to the cosmetic counter and did better than anyone in a long time and my immature manager got jealous of me and the bullying ensued! I gained 40 pounds ......well 50....I was able to get 10 off but that's it.

My one friend tells me I may need more nutrition cuz I workout around injuries.... Have several herniated discs and other problems and was just in a horrid car accident on Halloween and broke 9 ribs and chipped some vertebra and smashed my jaw and head into the steering wheel and windshield! I do take lots of supplements though.

You may want to check out my threads on intermittent fasting. I see someone posted above about the Fast Diet. It, and low carb/ketogenic eating, saved my life, my body, and my sanity! I really hate saying it here, but I quit the gym, just do a couple HIIT sessions a week and some weights, and am done 35 lbs, and now working on the last 20 now (took a break when my Mom died in Sept. last year).

Storing fat is caused by increase in insulin, which is caused by consumption of carbs and sugar (and proteins, to a lesser extent). Keeping carbs low, eating FEWER meals a day (not snacking, not eating after dinner til breakfast etc), and intermittent fasting, all work to reduce insulin. When that happens, your body has no choice but to use the fat it already has for energy to survive. The only time you have "starvation mode" is when you drop your calories very low for a long period of time. People who do fasting (and there are numerous Dr. led programs that use fasting to REVERSE type 2 diabetes and to treat juvenile epilepsy) can and do fast for days (I have only done 3 days in a row), watching fluid intake and sodium and other nutrient intakes. There is a man who is in the Guiness book who fasted for over 300 days (under Dr. supervision) until he reached his desired weight of 180 lbs. (I think he started around 460). And no, you don't lose muscle, or any of the other myths.

I really had to rethink everything I thought I knew, and have passed it on as I have learned it so that others may be helped. I hope it does the same for you.

Lorajeanne so sorry to hear you have been going through much. Please take care of your injuries. Sorry if I bombarded you with so many questions ....it's just as you say, diet can be made so complicated sometimes (either by mixed messaging or usually by OURselves), so I thought more info on your personal situation was needed if you know what I mean.
It's excellent that you know to take care of yourself utilizing supplements. Just be cautious that they are there only to supplement your food and not to replace it (you know this of course, but just a reminder as I have done this myself now and again not understanding or not abiding by that supplements etc. will not be absorbed by a run down body/organs. Food first - then supplement). I would still advise anyone in your situation to eat more and not to feel guilty about a bit of cake. Bodies repairing from acute injuries need minerals and amino acids especially.

I take aminos...what minerals? I take calcium and zinc. My protein drinks do not have many calories or sugar. I am careful with that. I'm so mad at myself for drinking in the first place and never thought that the weight would stay on with a vengeance! I just don't want to make the mistake of eating too much and gain more. I also can't go without eating after dinner, need a protein drink and yogurt ....have insomnia bad and won't sleep if hungry.

what minerals? I take calcium and zinc
Just all minerals in general really. Make sure you balance your calcium with magnesium and potassium. A poor calcium to magnesium ratio can interfere with sleep, especially in menopause. Magnesium is known as the nervous system nutrient. Great vegetarian sources of magnesium are dark greens like chard and spinach, tempeh (easy to prep) & navy beans to name a few. If you do not have issues with thyroid/iodine, seaweeds and dulses are an excellent source of minerals.
All the best to you!

I'm with Elsie on this: ditch the supplements and protein shakes, and start eating REAL FOOD. You don't have to be an excellent cook to get good nutrition. Give your body the fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans and pulses, dairy products it deserves.

Protein shakes and a salad each day is no way to live. You seem to have lost touch with what nutrition even looks like, let alone tastes like, because you are so afraid of gaining more weight. Deal psychologically with the fear and the nutrition will come back into line: listen to your hubby. His concerns are grounded.

As others have said, hidden sugars are a factor to look out for. Cut back on that wine, but you don't need to eliminate completely. You are allowed to enjoy your life!

Replace one protein shake with a bowl of creamy oatmeal and fruit. Replace the other with a 2 * whole egg omelette replete with added veggies and a side salad/toasted wholewheat bread. Replace that evening salad with some lean fish and several servings of vegetables.

You will be satisfied. Your body will have the nutrients it needs to deal with the onslaught that is menopause. You will have energy for your workouts and daily movement like walks and household tasks. You will sleep better.

You deserve better nutrition than this. Do not listen to the voice inside your head that tells you that you need to continue punishing yourself like this. You did nothing wrong but age gracefully! Enough already.

Clare

Maybe I can try adding some oatmeal but I really want to keep one meal replacement instead of meal and snacks while I add that on first. I've read that meal replacement drinks are one of thebest ways to loose weight and stay nourished. I guess I feel as I have done something wrong as I shouldn't have drank and put all of that weight on....plus now my husband tells me he's not attracted to me any longer, as I'm fat and let myself go. It's really not that cut and dry as you all can see from my blunt and embarrassing honesty. It was hard to admit the truth on here, as I'm not proud of what I did and I guess I'm pretty sensitive for letting a bunch of 20/year olds bully me to the point that they did.......I actually even ended up loosing my job over the situation.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.