Diana Gabaldon

pwmatt

Cathlete
I am reading book #5 of 6 of her Outlander series and am loving it!!
Does anyone have any suggestions of more books along the same genre?
I do have The Time Travelors Wife - it's in the pile - but I'm always looking for new reads. Phyllis

http://www.picturetrail.com/pwmatt

Hi Phyllis! I don't have any suggestions but would love to hear from others as well! I'm currently reading #6 - I discovered her by accident when on a trip and needed a book to read. I picked up the original at an airport and immediately got hooked!

Jo

Hey, if anybody knows of a series as great as Outlander, let me know. I have looked for years and haven't found anything close!

Phylis, do read Time Traveller's Wife. It is excellent. Very different from Outlander, but fascinating and well written. I literally couldn't put it down.

Hey you 2 are WAY ahead of me:D I am on book 2, but bought all the other books after I got done with book 1 The Outlander. I got book 1 on audio fro the library, and WOW it was so GOOD!! The characters in the book just seem to come alive. So tell me what has been your favorite book out of this series.

Thanks,
~Nicole

For me, I think my favorites are #1 and #3 but #1 is absolutely my favorite. I'm only 100 pages into #6 but other friends tell me it's as good as #1! I'll let you know!

As strange as this seems, and it makes me sound like a goof, but this is the only series I've read in my entire life where I found myself thinking about the characters during the day as if they were real! I mean I was absorbed! To me, that is a good book! :)

Jo

I read this series several years ago and the books are still on my shelf. I will re-read these one day. I've read Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, and Drums of Autumn. I have The Fiery Cross but haven't read it yet. I'll burned out on reading a couple of years ago after not being without a book going for five or six years and just haven't picked it up again at my previous pace.

Say there is a book 6 to this saga?\

ETA - I went to Diana's home page and found the new book. I'll definitely be picking it up. This is one set I'll keep.

This is my favorite series of all time....I got one of my best friends hooked on her too!! I don't remember how I found her, but I am soo glad.....I am already dying for the last book, even though I don't want the series to end! I don't think there is another series like it.....but if anyone has one I am always trying to find something new.

Donna

A friend of mine recommended Outlander a few years ago. I couldn't put it down. I'm waiting for #6 to come out in softcover before I buy it. There is going to be a #7 someday which is planned to be the end of the series. :(

I tried to read Outlander a while ago and just couldn't get into it. I picked it up at the library again last week, when I saw her newest on the New Book shelf. I figured if she's written so many in the series, it must be good and I should give it another chance. I'm glad I did. I'm throughly enjoying it this time. I think I just hadn't gotten to the "juicy" parts yet the first time. Now I have the rest of the series to look forward to. And I agree, The Time Travelers Wife was a wonderful book.

If you are just interested in books that are in a series, have you tried Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone series? Kinsey is a private detective, and one of my favorite characters. Also, I love Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. The books are a riot.

Love her too! Try Sara Donati's books--they are set in the same time period (without the time travel element), but while they're not quite as great as Gabaldon's, they're good, and she is obviously referencing Gabaldon's books--in one of the Donati books the characters mention Claire Fraser!

I've read #1 and #2, I didn't realize she was up to #6 or #7. Are the later ones about the same characters? I thought the original characters where already in their 50's in book #2.

I read the first 3, but had to stop after that. I loved the parts that weren't horribly violent, but she goes into such detail with torture scenes that just go on and on and on. It's been years now, and I still can't get the picture of those out of my head.

I LOOOOVE Diana's Outlander series! It's just so good. I've read all 6 of them :7 within the last few months. I was just hooked. I just bought the Time travelers Wife on Amazon but haven't received it yet, so glad to hear it's gotten some good reviews. The only other series of books I liked as a far lagging 2nd was the Heaven series by VC Andrews and the Flowers in the Attic series also by VC Andrews.

I missed this post, saw it in a search so I'm a little late. I love the outlander series too! It's my all time favorite series. I have read through book 6 and Lord John and the Private Matter which isn't really linked to the outlander series. I heard that Snow and Ashes was the last book in the series but to me the book is just begging for a sequel. I thought book 5 was too long and book 6 was way too long so I hope that isn't a trend. I loved the books, I think she just had too many pages with not much relevant stuff happening.

(** possible spoiler flag**) I had to find a website that refreshed my memory about past events too, or I would have never remembered them. So many things and people to remember. Like the character that appears at the end of book 6 (trying not to write a spoiler here). If I hadn't gone and read up on the past books I would have not remembered that character ever appearing before, and I wouldn't have been happy about him being sprung back at me at that point. With these minor critisisms aside, these are the greatest books ever!

I'm thrilled to see this thread!!! IMHO, Diana is a fantastic writer and I recently finished the last in the series. To me, reading her stuff is like sitting down to a wonderful meal and you're sorry when it's over, but oh so satisfied. I love the dry tone she sometimes has. What makes it real to me is that I've been to Culloden, scene of the dismal battle, and it was a VERY moving experience to stand there and think of the desperate bravery of men with swords and a few guns against British cannon. Scotland is a ruggedly beautiful country and I was lucky to stay for a week in a stone cottage in the Highlands.

Funny when you realize Diana was a marine biologist major!!!

Susan G

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.