Dealing with stress

I have been having a lot of stress lately and am really starting to feel the effects. I won't post about all of the causes (it would take up many pages!) , but as I have stated before , I have lost a lot of loved ones this past year, my marriage sucks, and I have a lot of people "counting" on me. My kids, my widowed mom and mil, etc. More people are getting sick/old. I found out Mon. that a very dear relative almost died and was in the hospital because he had gall bladder problems and ignored it and it became infected and spread in his blood. I may have to travel at a moment's notice over 3 states to see him if he doesn't improve. My mil(81)is dealing with a sister (dh's aunt) that has alzheimer's and there is no one to take care of her. My mil can't do everything for her. I could give more examples, but you get the idea.

Anyhow, I felt like I was literally going to blow up the other day. I mean it - like a coke bottle shook up. I want to try to implement some plan to help with this because it is not going away. I am Christian and pray. I know yoga, meditation , muscle relaxation, etc is suppose to help.

So I am asking you knowledgeable ladies (and guys) if you have any suggested links or books, etc. I am trying to do a search but don't have much time to mess around (another source of stress for me) Thanks a bunch! Marnie

I am affraid I do not have any suggestions for you to help with stress but I just wanted to send you lots of hugs. I know how hard it can be to deal with stress and feel for you! All my love.

I've read a fair amount about stress. It sounds like you have an imbalance between emotional stress and physical stress. What works for me is not yoga or muscle relaxing exercises but the opposite extremely physical activities. By driving up my physical stress to try to balance with the mental stress my body feels healthier.

I'm all for the praying and meditation. I'm an alcoholic in recovery so I'll impart to stay away from "substances" as they'll only make it worse.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. It's weird that all the bad stuff seems to happen at once. For me it was last year: between January and September, a friend and her family were murdered, my mom died, my best friend of over 20 years died of cancer, a friend of DH's died, and I was laid off from my job.

I made sure I exercised, maybe not as regularly as I should have, but when I could make myself. I also found a dvd from the Yoga Zone on meditation...I can't tell you how much that helped. I'm not a Christian, but I knew I had to find a quiet place to go, and it was amazing. And, as cliche as it sounds, time does help. Also, try to separate what is within your control and what isn't. Tackle the changes that are possible, and try to find that peaceful place for yourself to escape and/or put in perspective the things you can't. I know you say your marriage isn't good--I was lucky that I have a great DH, but even he couldn't help me through a lot of it...I really tend to hold things in (I never knew I did that so much until times got tough.) Is there someone, a close friend or a relative that you can get a little time with...just for a hug or a conversation? Those little things really can help.

Sorry to rattle on. I know this probably doesn't help, but please know that my positive thoughts are with you and I hope so much this time will pass. Please feel free to pm me if you need to talk or vent.

You know, I am failing miserably at stress management, lol, but what I do know is that it is of utmost importance to take care or yourself. Find the things you love and that make you feel good and DO THEM. For me, regular workouts are paramount but unfortunately for me that is also what always seems to go down the tubes when I am severely stressed. Logically you know what is good for you but you just can't do it! The irritability you speak of can lead into depression so watch out for that, for sure.

Take care of yourself and sorry for everything you are going through!

Thanks everyone! I did find some good links at Mayo Clinic yesterday. I guess, Dave, you mean more intense cardio and heavy lifting? I just need to get a plan down to be certain I include taking time to w/o and eat right. It seems that's the first to slip when everyone starts pulling at me in different directions.:(

In addition to these suggestions, I say get thee to a spa for a massage or pedicure (or whatever would be a treat to yourself.) Massage can do wonders to relieve tension built up in the muscles. When I have one done, I leave there feeling like a new woman!

I agree that yoga would be great to add to your current repertoire. Just saw on the news again this morning that it seems to help with/ward off depression, too.

Hang in there! I hope the stress eases up for you soon!

~Cathy :)

The weeks I use to log in the most miles were the ones I was stressed out the most.

I also used to bake bread when stressed, kneading bread seemed to relax my bod. Of course i had to give the bread away otherwise I would have binged!

no real suggestions here other then i totally know what you are going through. i lost my dear pops last month over easter weekend, my sister was assualted, my dh is spending to much time on the computer, my in=laws drive me batty(now we have a problem how i raise my family,excuse me at least my kid doesn't think i am a drunk and does have respect for me), and raising a special needs child. i did blow up the other day though. maybe not the best thing but at least for once dh picked up his clothes off the floor(in the apartments' hallway }( )

but i think praying,trying to focus on workouts,yoga they all help even if the results are immediate and pletiful. sometimes its those small steps that mean more than just "getting over it" like my MIL likes to say. i know i picking battles better a little at a time,trying to not sweat the small stuff so to speak. its just one of those things that needs baby steps and pray everyday for strength. when the chips are DOWN there is only one way to go from down.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

060104_10010099873.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.