Deadlifts

Marnie

Cathlete
Hi everyone... I get an email newsletter from Muscle & Fitness Her's, and this week's edition had a little article about deadlifts. Thought I'd post it since many of us do deadlifts in cathe's tapes. I think they're hard to master, but once you do, they are excellent for the back & hamstrings! Here's their advice which basically mirrors what cathe says in PS & S/H:

DEADLIFT DETAILS
Performed correctly, the Romanian deadlift is an excellent exercise for increasing lower-body strength and flexibility. However, using incorrect form can cause injury and chronic lower-back problems. Follow these tips from the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research to do it right:

-Using heavier weights requiring fewer repetitions is demanding on all spinal structures and should be approached with caution.
-Keep your upper body stable throughout the entire lift by contracting the rhomboids and posterior shoulder muscles.
-Don't allow your shoulders to roll forward at any time. Keep spine straight or slightly extended during the movement.
-Keep your knees slightly bent throughout the range of motion.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.