Deadlifts hurt my back

mini-natty

Cathlete
Hello Cathe,

I have always had a problem with deadlifts. Even with correct form and light weight (which is useless. I don't feel a thing) my lower back is always aching (in a bad way). I believe I may have aggravated it a few days ago by trying to use heavier weights but not going down as deep. My question is if I absolutely cannot perform this exercise, what can I use as a substitution?

If anyone either than Cathe would like to respond, please do so!

Thank you,

Natasha

The only other exercise I can think of for working lower back is supermans. Where you lay on your tummy with your hands resting under your chin and lift your head and your legs, contracting your lower back.

The only other exercise I can think of for working lower back is supermans. Where you lay on your tummy with your hands resting under your chin and lift your head and your legs, contracting your lower back.

Thank you for your response. I was not sure about supermans.

Hold up, you have 5 year old triplets??!!!! Holy moly!!! And an 8 year old?? Really, how do you do it? I have only one 3 year old and she is quite the handful! You must be an inspiration to all that you meet :)

Mini,

Have you tried to limit your range of motion? If you are more flexible in your hamstrings than in your lower back you could be causing hyperextension in your lower back. Also, have you tried a tried a romanian deadlift?

Deadlift vs. romanian deadlift

Good Luck,

Denny R

Hi Natasha!
I would skip deadlifts for a while and try to increase lower back strenght/flexibility. In the meantime, have you tried gym style legs, the floor half? You get very tough exercises but using the ball... I hate those roll-out with one leg extended, but they really work glutes and hams like nothing else and your back is on the ball, so shouldn't hurt. I'm not an expert though, so hope someone else will give you good advice! ;)

Mini,

Have you tried to limit your range of motion? If you are more flexible in your hamstrings than in your lower back you could be causing hyperextension in your lower back. Also, have you tried a tried a romanian deadlift?

Deadlift vs. romanian deadlift

Good Luck,

Denny R

Thanks so much for this! I think the Romanian Deadlift is the one I will try next time. There are certain exercises that kill my lower back (I have had lower-back problems for 12 year now) and the deadlift seems to be one of them. Thanks again!

Hi Natasha!
I would skip deadlifts for a while and try to increase lower back strenght/flexibility. In the meantime, have you tried gym style legs, the floor half? You get very tough exercises but using the ball... I hate those roll-out with one leg extended, but they really work glutes and hams like nothing else and your back is on the ball, so shouldn't hurt. I'm not an expert though, so hope someone else will give you good advice! ;)

Thanks for the advice Ellie! I don't have gym-style, but I know what you are talking about. My lower back has been a problem for a long time. Certain exercises just aggravate it. No more deadlifts for me. My back is still hurting 5 days after I did that damn move!! :mad:

I would try the one leg deadlifts that are in Legs and Glutes and I think Lower Body Blast. You do a deadlift move but with much less weight and one leg at a time. I would try the move at first with no weight, then if that doesn't hurt your back I would gradually add a little weight.

Ashley

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.