Daily Check-In, Monday, January 29, 2024

I had no idea. I wondered if eating would be difficult. I was trying to imagine feeling food in my mouth but not actually tasting it and how it would impact chewing and swallowing. Sounds like a real challenge. I’m sorry you deal with that Annette.
Some foods are better felt than others, initially I lost 20 pounds just from not feeling hungry. With no smell or taste you can't smell the food in order to activate your salivary glands to tell your head you are hungry so I ate very little. Once smell returned I regained the ability to be hungry but food was still an issue with no taste. The texture has to feel good for me to be able to swallow it. Dry mouth was a result of it when my salivary glands didn't work my mouth got dry causing a multitude of dental issues. I still have dry mouth but not quite as bad but the dental damage is done.

Pasta was the first thing to go imagine gummy, sticky, tasteless pasta, just nasty. All dry foods went (cookies, crackers, white chicken if not covered in a sauce ). I can now do cookies and crackers as long as I have water to wash it down with, same with dry chicken. Makes life interesting.

Thank you for the explanation Annette. I’ve always been in awe of your athleticism now I’m in awe of your ability to face your eating challenges square on while continuing to maintain your high level of fitness.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.