CrossFit Training

g_lynn

Cathlete
Has anyone participated in this type of training?

*CrossFit is the principal strength and conditioning program for many police academies and tactical operations teams, military special operations units, champion martial artists, and hundreds of other elite and professional athletes worldwide.

If so, I'd really be interested in your imput. I've signed up for a triathlon in August and last night I had read in my Triathlete magazine that crossfit training will prepare someone better than regular excercising (step aerobics, running, etc..)

g_lynn

I attended a fitness bootcamp a couple of years ago that was also a Crossfit affiliate. They did not follow the Crossfit principle to a T but they incorporated many of their ideas in the their workouts.

The majority of the workouts I do are Crossfit type workouts that I pull from their affiliate websites. I don't and can't do some of their exercises but I scale or modify when necessary. I love the fact that they are intense workouts that allow me to push myself to the limit. One of my favorite workouts is Murphy (see below).

1 mile run
100 pull ups (jumping for me)
200 push ups
300 squats
1 mile run

You might want to check and see if they have an affiliate in your area, or visit their website and try a workout at home.

I've been to a crossfit gym & sampled the workout. IMO it's really nothing more than a bootcamp/circuit style workout, except you use things around you instead of actual weights & such. It was tough & fun, but I still don't understand all the hype over it.

Personally I think it'd be a great supplement to an exercise routine, but I'd hesitate to make it the core of any routine. It's really more endurance based. You can gain some strength from it, but I don't think it'll really build muscle.

I wanted to sign up for a limited weekend membership so I could add one day of crossfit a week into my routine. The prices were out of the stratosphere! And I cannot for the life of me figure out why. The gym was in an old auto mechanic's garage. It had evidently not been cleaned after the mechanic moved out. There was no heat or a/c. The equipment was very basic--some pullup bars, some heavy bags, some old truck tires, kettlebells, & a few of those two-pole squat racks. The owner & one staff member. I mean, we're talking NO overhead here, but the guy was charging $350 a month membership! :eek::eek::eek::eek: And the w/e membership was $150 a month! I have no idea how he can justify those prices. I get much more from my gym for $85 a month.

So, when I'm in the mood for an endurance, circuit based workout, I just do Drill Max. ;)

I think the Crossfit affiliates are open to what style workouts they want to do. There are some gyms that follow the Crossfit protocol to the letter while others loosely incorporate the Crossfit protocol into boot camp style workouts. It sounds like the experience Laura and I had falls into the latter category.

There are 2 Crossfit affiliates in my area (the one I went to is no longer a Crossfit gym) and at least one of them follows the Crossfit protocol to the letter. They do the heavy lifting and I know some people who have gone there and gotten ripped. It really depends on where the focus is for that particular affiliate.

You can get crossfit workouts of the day on lots of internet sites. Just google around for crossfit. Then you can try them out at home.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.