Cream of Soup Sub

slenamond

Cathlete
What would be a clean sub for cream of soups like cream of mushroom and cream of chicken?

Thanks, Sharon

I posted this is diet and nutrition too..

How about fat free evaporated milk? I have a recipe for a light fettuccini alfredo that uses it as a substitute and it tastes great. Or use the reduced fat/sodium version of the soup instead.

I don't know how clean you'd consider it, but you can blend up soaked cashews (soaking makes them easier to blend) and water to make a creamy base, then add other ingredients from there.

try silken tofu in place of the heavy cream - you may have to use a bit more stock to thin it, but it should work and be yummy!!

I make "cream" soups -- celery is my favorite -- with soymilk.

True, it doesn't have that full-fat thick taste of a traditional cream soup, but I actually prefer them this way, for daily eating. I like the lighter taste.

Just saute some garlic and onion in vegetable oil, throw in the veggies and some stock or water (just enough to braise/steam them), cook until they're tender, then blend it all with soymilk until it's a consistency you like for soup. Salt and pepper (or dill, or cilantro, or chopped scallions, or parmesan, or red pepper flakes, or whatever you like...) to taste.

Yum.

I make a chowder that uses rice for the creaminess. I think it's about 1/3 cup of rice in 2 cups of broth plus 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup chopped onion. You cook the rice until it is super soft, cool it and blend it. This is then added back into the soup. I actually like this better than any dairy based chowder I have tried.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.