Cramps while doing cardio

lora-kate

I am sure this is a really silly question but for whatever reason (age, too many children) I cannot remember the answer. A woman in my fitness class asked me what she should do because part way into the class she keeps getting a cramp (stitch) in her side. She eats about an hour to an hour and a half before the class(breakfast) and she drinks water before, during and after the class. Any thoughts are welcome because I have drawn a total blank. Help!

Hi, Lora-Kate -

Your participant may be eating too close to her workout time, and/or she may be eating too much prior to working out. It's best to wait to work out intensely for AT LEAST two hours after a meal of any consequence. What your participant may want to do is to do little grazing "mini-meals" on workout days, and have not much more than a bagel spread with a bit of peanut butter that close to her workout, if that. The water thing she sounds like she's doing okay with.

Hope this helps . . .

Annette

Hi, Lora-Kate. I used to get cramps a lot while exercising, and one thing that helped was focusing on my breathing...I tried to keep my breathing as even as possible, and breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. It really seemed to work for me, so hopefully it'll help your friend!

Heather

Hi,

I have this problem if I do not concentrate on how I breathe. Sometimes, (without realizing it) I hold my breath and then I get stitch and have to bend over and breathe deeply. when doing heavy cardio I have to conentrate on breathing in and out then I don't get stitch. I truly believe that it comes from incorrect breathing, but others may believe there are many different reasons to this annoyance?

Hope this helps!!

I have trouble with this when I've eaten a lot of gassy foods. Also, some foods also seem to sit in your stomach for a long time. I know when I eat pancakes (even 2 hours) before I jog, I have more trouble. I think you're best to eat a light meal.

I have also had this problem in the past. Make sure that you maintain good breathing. Some of the yoga exercises which involve breathing can help by making you more aware. Make sure you drink enough water at least 20 minutes before exercising. Eating light helps...banana, apple, toast, crackers, or pretzels at least an hour or two before exercising. She may also want to limit her jumping and concentrate on low impact aerobics with high intensity. Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.