Coolers First Thread of 2009

Patricia oh you Toronto people and winter:D;) Vehicles that run on diesel can't run when it's colder than -35 so school buses are usually diesel so have to be cancelled especially in the rural areas.

We have just been setting all time lows around here (but not actually in the city) today I think we're supposed to be close to -48C which is -54 F today. My goodness I hope it breaks soon!!

Netta The golfing sounds like so much fun, I've had lots of my patients talking about going down south to golf.

I took a rest day yesterday as my body was sore from 8 days of working out! I have today off work, have my annual exam at the doctor's this afternoon and this morning I think I will go ahead and do Drill Max since I have the time to do and then put the yoga/pilates that I miss tomorrow when I have less time due to work.

I have put weight on since my last dr's visit and I'm worried what they are going to say. :eek::eek:
Kim

Good morning,
Today was 4DS LIS, except for calf work. Tonite is Garage Boys spin session.

Kim, wow, that is cold, cold, cold!!! I don't miss those days of breaking ice for my horse to drink water. Helped when I got a tank heater. Try to stay warm. Hope the dr's appointment goes well.

Patricia, are you noticing any differences with the CLX set? I did have trouble today with my left elbow and the shoulder work in 4DS LIS. I just modified by bending my arm. I'm not sure this thing will ever heal. Cute about DS asking for grass to come back.

Laurie, know it was a sad day yesterday (((hugs))).

Morning!

Thank you ladies for the well wishes, it was a good trip and I did a lot of talking with my sisters. It was nice to see my aunts, uncles and some cousins, just to bad for the sad circumstances. I will be celebrating with them though on the 50th wedding anniversaries that are coming up in the next year. My cousin is stationed in Belgium with the Air Force, and his wife had a baby boy on Sunday. So he missed talking to his dad, and also missed seeing his son born. :( He left yesterday to head back to see is new baby! They did have a cute picture of him too.

Well you Canadians have a little bit colder weather than we are suffering from right now, but we are suppose to be getting colder weather tomorrow. Right now it is only 2F or -16C. Guess I should be happy that I'm so much warmer than all of you are. :eek: LOL!

I was so tired this morning that I didn't want to get up to workout. After work I will be getting in some leg/shoulder work, and some type of cardio.

Patricia, Had to LOL with your "barf it up". Well if it is that good! Hmmmm :eek:

Kim, Well don't they just let those buses run all night long like they do around here when it gets to cold? :rolleyes: Today and yesterday our neighbor who lives directly across the street had her DD's in their truck waiting for the bus. Now understand that the bus stop is only on our lot, so not even a block away. I sent my DD out to stand in the cold. Dang we had to walk to school when it was colder than we are having right now. Guess now my parents might be charged with child abuse. :eek: Hope that annual appointment goes well for you.

Jeanette, Thanks for the extra hugs.:D LOL! Glad you had fun with your gf's and golfing. Still hard for me to imagine doing that right now. LOL!

Laurie

Laurie I'm so glad that you had a special time with your extended family. It's too bad that it often takes a funeral to get everyone together.
Why the heck do they leave the buses running all night?? Don't feel sorry for your dd standing at the bus stop, ds walked home from school today at -48C because I was at the doctor's. I did drive him to school in the morning

Jeantte LOL on breaking the horse's water, though at -50 there would be no water to reach, just one big block of ice.

Patricia On the 6pm news, the news guy was saying that TO has put on an extreme cold weather warning as it was going to reach -20, it was quite funny because the Wpg news guy was having a hard time keeping a straight face while reporting it. We were -51 last night. We were all laughing at the newscaster.

Did Drill max this morning, what a tough workout!! My annual exam went just fine this afternoon. Going to just relax this evening and back to work tomorrow.

Kim

Kim - I know you Wpg'ers laugh at us from T.O. for bringing in the Troops a few years ago. Even the Sudbury news were commenting on it earlier this week and yes they were having a hard time keeping a straight face. Since I grew up north I've always just shaken my head at people complaining about the winter there b/c they really don't know. My snow banks are shoulder level if not higher:D:D Glad to hear your appt was uneventful

Laurie - glad to see you're back. Wow, feel sorry for the cousin-in-law giving birth w/o the father but these things happen. My sister drives a Smart car and she plugged it into the house last night but it kept blowing fuses. Her DH drives a diesel truck and didn't have any issues with plugging it in though, so go figure. Didn't know about the diesel issue either.

Jeanette - I think I feel "tighter" overall but since I'm just starting the 2nd week I'm not ready to commit to saying I'm seeing results all ready. especially since I can't seem to stop eating some sort of candy everyday:(:( I see on some of the squats since I'm lifting heavier than ever before (20# DB in each hand) where I could actually use a BB. I'm finding holding the DB for heavy squats to be uncomfortable. I just not sure if I could lift 40# over my head and onto my shoulders yet though.

Oh, I did Burn Circuit #1 tonight which concentrated on squats and back & shoulders. I know I'm having trouble to maintain form for posterior flies and lift heavy. Thats a work in progress for me.

Good night all

Hey, I get a rest day tomorrow:D:D

Hi,
Just a quick one as I have to drive into town before work. Today was 4DS Kickbox. Last night was Cardio Coach #8 on the bike. Intense!!!

Hope everyone is fine, will post more later.

Morning!

So far today my workout has been BBC Fat Blaster Lower Body, and I was planning on heading to the gym for Chest, Biceps and Abs but the cold may just make me change my mind. I may just want to curl up on the couch in front of the fire tonight! :eek:

Kim, They acutally have a set schedule for starting the buses every few hours so that they will start for school. Our schools use bus services so they hire someone to go out and start them. :) They cancelled school for my DD's, and my oldest was mad. :) If they have one more snow day they have to start making up those days at the end of the school year. Yipee on the appointment!

Patricia, I think you shouldn't have a problem lifting 40# BB over your head. I think when you get to about 50-60lbs is when you start having problems. I had a little chuckle about people complaining. I think we have become a people of whimps. I used to walk to school all the time, and by the time I got to school my eye lashes where frozen shut! And to us it wasn't a big deal, you just had to deal with it. Now it blows 2" of snow and they are shutting everything down. :rolleyes: I had DH call the doggie daycare to make sure they didn't shut the doors this morning, because I would have been very upset having to go back home to bring the dog back. :(

Jeanette, Take care and chat with us when you have a chance.

Stay warm and safe today!

Laurie

Good Afternoon

Well I must say my DH sure takes care of me. Both mornings when he leaves for work he has started up my car, so after about 20min I run out and turn it off as I'm not leaving for about 1hr after he does this. -30's, feels like -40 temp. around here.

On an even better not, today is a rest day:D I donated blood this afternoon and got to eat Oreos.:D:D and an Oreo bar.:p

Laurie - I met a guy yesterday who goes to the gym 2x/day. Reminds me of you with your w/o's in the a.m. then still going out in the p.m.

Do you feel like that sometimes our w/o's take over our life? We're going away this weekend and the 1st thing I think about is how do I get my w/os in rather than just take extra rest days:(

Hope everyone is enjoying their Thursday. Yeah tomorrow is Friday.

Hi Coolers,
Busy day today. I didn't get to take my lunch until after 3:00 this afternoon. After work, I went to the golf course and hit some balls. Very relaxing for me. Then to the grocery store for cornbread fixings for my DH's breakfast get together at work. I'll be joining them tomorrow morning.

Patricia, yum, Oreos!!! Did I tell you about the Oreo Truffles I made at Christmas? Good for you for donating blood. Reminds me I still need to go have blood drawn for some routine labwork. I'm just awful about giving it so am procrastinating. Been like 3 months since the dr's order was written. I like to exercise, but prefer to do outdoor activities like my biking or golfing. I think I'm way less obsessed than I used to be about exercise. Of course someone that doesn't work out at all probably thinks I'm obsessed, but compared to probably most of the ladies on the Cathe site, I'm a slacker.

Laurie, are you sitting by the fire? Shoot, when we were down in the teens, all I wanted to do is just come home and lay in front of the woodstove.

Kim, that Drill Max is a toughie. I don't think I've ever done the full thing more than once. I should though. Glad the annual exam went okay.

Must run,

Morning!

Today I am going to the gym (since it is suppose to be above zero) for legs and shoulders plus some type of cardio (maybe). I have done BBC Fat Blaster Upper Emphasis already this morning.

Patricia, Don't be to impressed with my am/pm workouts. The BBC Fat Blasters are only 20 min long. :eek: :D Oh you have to love Oreo's, my DD's insist that I buy the double stuff! :eek: LOL! :) Are your temps going to be heading in a better direction? We are suppose to start warming up starting today! It's funny when 5F sounds warm! :eek: LOL!

Jenette, Didn't have a fire last night, just bundled up in my sweats/blanket. Do you make a sweet cornbread? I bought some from the store that had a honey glaze on the top, and my DD's just loved it. I made chili last night, and wanted to have cornbread with it. :( Didn't happen though. :(

Laurie

Butts and Guts done, day 2 of week 3. I think I'll finish the Jan rotation and then concentrate on getting the 1RMs done and playing around more with the kettlebell workouts while I wait for STS. I didn't try the Kettlebell dvd out yesterday as planned as my lower back was bothering me a bit so just did some stretching.

DD is home sick today, just a real bad head cold, lots of sneezing/coughing so not doing my usual grocery shopping/errands morning. I had booked dentist appts for the kids and I, for cleaning so think I will still take her to that this afternoon.

Laurie So is the gym starting to get less busy? Maybe the cold weather will deter all those New Year resolution people from coming out? It's supposed to warming up here as well, of course at first it was +2 then 0 now today they are predicting -8 on Sunday :rolleyes: They just like to play with our emotions. But I'll take -8 still in the -40's today with the windchill, it's hard to imagine such a quick turnaround so I'll believe it when I feel it.

Jeanette Your DH's coworker's seem to do the breakfast get together quite often. Nice idea. Nice that you get to join them tomorrow. Enjoy! I'm tempted to ask for your Oreo truffle recipe but I won't because them I'll make them and this household has had way too many sweets lately.

Patricia What a sweet DH! My DH has been running outside at bedtime to plug the cars in everynight because I never bother when I get home:rolleyes: I do find that when I don't work out for a few days I feel like I have so much extra time. Occasionally I take a week off and really do miss it. I enjoy it but once a day is enough especially driving too a gym twice would be very time consuming. Good for you for doing the blood donation, I haven't gone for a few years. :eek:It's across the street from the hospital where I work but since kids I always have to hurry to the daycare for pick up.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Friday.

STS IS CLOSE TO SHIPPING - YEAHHHHHH:D:D Now I have to hurry up on CLX somehow.

Just completed Burn Circuit 2. I've backed the bands for Burn Intervals to try and do in the hotel room tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I'll get to it. DH will be taking DS to the boat show so I think I'll have the afternoon to myself. The monster truck show doesn't start until the evening. We're suppose to get on the road around 8am tomorrow so won't be checking back in until Sunday most likely.

Kim - great w/o with B&G. After doing these CLX w/o's I"m thinking I'm going to start playing around a bit more with all the options on Cathe's DVD's. Not only the premixes, but maybe using the chapter menus and picking my excercises. I'm really starting to see that you don't need to do 101 reps. Better hurry up on those 1RMs now. Oh, sorry to hear DD is sick. At least its not DS as I think he has been through way toooo much in the last few months (say sorry to your DS):p

Laurie - I'm driving 4 hrs south to get warm this weekend:D:D Chalene has a turkey chili on her Kitchen Makeover DVD that I might just try. I've taken a couple of here tips and used them so far. I'm putting sliced almonds in my oatmeal or salads now + made fish last week. Her recipe called for Sea Bass which I couldn't find so sub'd perch. DH liked it so it will be repeated.

Jeanette - yes, you do seem to have frequent breakfasts at work with DH. I'm lucky when DH cooks breakfast at work for about 25 people I don't have to do a thing. He won't let me help, except to wash up that is.:D

Okay, the final episodes of Battlestar Galactica have finally started tonight so off to see that b/4 bed. I guess I'm packing tomorrow a.m.

Just finished PUB and 2 mile/20 min tm run. DH went to the track to do a 12 mile run. I only have 10 workouts left in the January rotation!!! :D I've being enjoying this rotation. I figure if I keep going without a rest day (there is no rest day on the schedule) then I will do the last workout on the 27th which is the day STS is suppose to arrive. That will give me the shipping days (which I'm sure will be a least 2 weeks to canada) to do the 1RMs and have some rest days before STS arrives and we can start our 6 month rotation!!!!

DD seems to be feeling much better, she rarely gets sick and when she does it's always very short lived. She was better by supper yesterday making her brother question why she got to stay home from school :rolleyes: If ds got a cold it would trigger an asthma attack, pneumornia, hospital visits, upping all his meds. etc. LOL It's interesting how people's bodies are so different.

We all three went to the dentist yesterday, no cavities for any of us!:D But the dentist is wondering about braces for dd (she's only 8!) the regular dentist is gone though so she will have a look when she gets back.

Not much happening today, ds going to a birthday party and then the kids are going for a sleepover at their cousins, Why! I'm not sure except that they like to spend alot of time together. DH and I are actually going out with friends for drinks after dropping the kids at my sisters':D:D

patricia Where are you going for the weekend?? Have fun! How long is the CLX rotation suppose to be???

have a great weekend! Kim

Good afternoon,
Sounds like everyone is keeping busy. Yesterday's workout was 4DS HIS, then rushed to get ready for DH's breakfast party, which was very good. After work, I went to watch my grandson shoot his bow with his 4-H group. This morning I did a Christi step workout, then worked abs on the ball with a Karen Voight DVD that was really too easy. After that, my sister, my Mom and I left for a quilt fabric buying trip. We had a really nice time. Mom will be making a table runner. We're going to start on Tuesday evening. She'll have the fabric washed and pressed, then we can start cutting the strips, pressing and sewing. She's all excited again, which is nice to see. After we are done with hers, I may start one too.

Kim, I've been enjoying this rotation again too, plus extending the time up to an hour hasn't been too bad. Nice news at the dentist, huh? I have to go this Thursday for a cleaning. Not my favorite thing, but I go 3X a year. Have fun tonite with your friends. I'm thinking maybe I should just stop Cathe's rotation for now and start my 1rm's instead.

Patricia, those CTX workouts are sounding better and better. Yep, I'm excited about STS and need to make myself do those 1rm's soon. Hope you enjoyed Battlestar Gallactica. How was the monster truck show??? Got to say, better you than me.

Laurie, my cornbread isn't real, real sweet, though it does have cream style corn in it, along with a couple boxes of Jiffy Cornbread Mix. Is the Gym thinning out with people yet?

Must run, have a bike ride in the morning.

Tough workout done today! Cardio fusion with the bonus abs from B&G tacked on to the end. We had a nice outing yesterday with some friends. DS was making fun of us going out at 9 pm, he was bugging me that I'm usually in bed by that time. He kept phoning to see if I was still awake. Kids:D

Jeanette You're having a busy weekend! The quilting sounds like fun, I used to do lots of crafts but haven't done much lately maybe will need to pick up my needlepoint later today for a bit.

Got to have lunch and pick up the kids who are still at my sister's house. Kim

I wish someone would tell me which freakin key I'm hitting that I lose my entire post:mad::mad:

Anyhow, not the greatest drive home today as lots of snow on the roads. It probably took an extra 1hr to get home. Did the grocery shopping and started the laundry. I didn't get my w/o in yesterday (I blame DH for that but won't go into details:mad::mad:) but I did Burn Circuit #3 today along with Ab Extreme which was hard but doable. I don't see me doing the other Ab Burner one which I found to be more beginnerish.

We had a really good time at the Monster Truck show. We had a suite which had a full wall of windows overlooking the show so we were able to move the couch and chairs right up to them and have a great birds eye view. The show was a bit boring with only some really cool stunts but did some some roll overs:D:D

Kim - wow 8yrs olds seems young to be worried about braces. Maybe they're just giving you a heads up to save the $$$ for when she is a teen.:D Isn't it fun going out with out your kids and spending some quality adult time? Too funny about DS calling you:) Now you'll just have to do it more often.

Jeanette - I swear my Mom is addicted to quilting. She has more quilts then beds, even with giving them away to her kids. I even have wall hangings that I "ordered" from her that I just LOVE. I know she is disappointed that neither of her girls took it up but I don't do any craft that requires a needle and thread:D:D

Waving hi to Laurie,

Take care everyone

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.