Concerned about my weight gain

babyd

Cathlete
Hi everyone. This is my first post to this forum topic although I have been a very frequent visitor. I am 16 and a half weeks into my first pregnancy and have piled on about 11 pounds. I am very concerned and I really have yet to get much feedback from my OB as I will just be going to my second official OB appt tomorrow. I have read forums on other pregnancy websites and I have several friends who are pregnant. It seems I am the only one who has gained weight like this. Most have gained minimal weight-they are ready to deliver and are very small and the others are near 25 weeks and have gained like 3 pounds. At this rate I fear I will exced the recommended weight gain. Any feedback or ideas or advice? Thanks in advance.

Hi!
I would tell you to not worry!! I am also about 16 weeks along and have gained 11pounds. This is my 3rd pregnancy, and with each of mine, I tended to gain quickly, but it did level out. The best advice I can tell you is to try to eat as healthy as possible, have healthy snacks when you need them and workout when you are able to and it will all balance out. I think people get a bit too concerened with that 25lb weight gain that is often stated in baby books/magazines. My doctor tells her patients that she recommends about a 25-35lb weight gain, so I'm hoping to stay within that range. Remember that each woman is different with how much weight they put on, and every pregancy progresses differently. Some women gain only a few pounds the first trimester, and in some cases lose weight because they're sick. Then other women gain more weight the first trimester (like you and me).

If for some reason you exceed what you hope to gain overall, it's nothing to beat yourself up about, you can ALWAYS lose the weight after. I'm living proof of that, I gained 50lb. with my first, and about 35lb with my second, and with diet and exercise was able to get my weight down to prepregnancy level after.

I hope that is somewhat helpful. The important thing is to take care of your body, and if it's telling you to eat then don't deprive yourself or the baby. :) Hang in there!

Stacey

Baby#3 due 1/22/07
Emma born 4/27/03
Alex born 9/7/01

Thanks Stacy. I really appreciate that great advice and for you sharing your personal experience with me. I think I really do get more nervous because this is my first and I really don't know what to expect or what the normal variable ranges are for certain things. Also, do you know if high impact activity is OK throughout pregnancy and if not when should it be discontinued?

Hi!
As far as high impact activities go, I would check with your doctor.

Also, most baby books (like What to Expect When You're Expecting), offer great general guidelines for exercise. My doctor suggests modifying to lower impact activities, and decreasing intensity of regular aerobic activities (e.g. lower step height, lowering amount of free weights) as the pregnancy progresses. Most things I've read, as well as my doctor, suggest not doing any abdominal work flat on your back after your first trimester. It's important to really pay attention to your body and energy level and then decide what you feel you can do. I think Cathe's Basic Step is excellent to do, and I've lowered my step height to just the platform, I also do low impact regular aerobics (Prevention Walk your Way Slim), my elliptical, walking outside, and Leisa Hart's FitMama dvd. For toning, I'm doing the Perfect Pregnancy Workout, Quick Fix Prenatal dvd, and Pilates during Pregnancy with Niece Pecenka.

I also discovered that my local hospital offers a Fit for Two class for expecting mom's. It meets twice a week for an hour, and is led by a physical therapist (and mom). I will be doing an 8 week session starting in October. You might check around to see if either your local hospital or fitness clubs offer any prenatal classes (some Yoga studios do as well).

Oh, one more thing you might read up on...Cathe actually has a thread on her website concerning her guidelines for prenatal exercise. Can't remember exactly where it is, but I believe you could do a search for it, or else post a message in this forum and I'm sure someone else can direct you to it.

Good luck, and have fun with your first pregnancy. I'm so excited for you:)

Stacey

Baby#3 due 1/22/07
Emma born 4/27/03
Alex born 9/7/01

this post also makes me feel better- i am 23 weeks pregnant and have gained about 25 pounds so far. Most of it in the first 16 weeks. I was absolutely ravenous and when I didn't eat, the ms was worse. Now that my appetite is back to normal and I am able to exercise, I have noticed much smaller weight gains per week. My midwife said that everyone gains weight differently.

babyd,

Do not worry about the weight gain. I have had ten children, and I gained the majority of my weight in the first four or five months. Generally, I would gain 10 pounds by 12 weeks.

Then, I would gain 10 more pounds by 24 weeks. Then, about 5 pounds by week 28. The funny thing is I wouldn't gain any weight the last three months. In fact, that is when I would lose some weight.

It took me five pregnancies to figure this out - I use to flip out with the weight gain. That is just how my body was durig pregnancy. I really never gained more than 25 pounds and had no problem taking off the weight.

I hope this helps!

Cheryl

These posts have been very informative and helpful. Thank you to each of you fo sharing your information and personal experience. I admit that I have had a very hard time relaxing during this pregnancy. I keep feeling like I am screwing up especially with regards to the weight gain. I do know that my first trimester I ate more than I needed to be eating. For the second and third, is it true that you need 300 additional calories up from pre-pregnancy calories daily??-which I know I am getting by the way.

I would second what everyone else as said.
With my first I gained 10 pounds in 5 monthes but I was super sick. But with this one I was sicker in the evening so I could eat all day long but nothing in the evening. And boy, was I hungry in the day time.
I am now 19 weeks and I think I have gained 10-12 lbs so I wouldn't worry to much. I know I am not gorging myself with food and I try to eat healthy.If I was stuffing my face all the time, then I would blame myself.
They say we all gain it differently and I think my weight gain is slowing down now. Try not to worry to much.
And yeah, they say you need 300 extra cals a day but I know I eat more then that.

Lori:)

Just my $.02...I gained 25 pounds total during my pregnancy, and all of that was within the first 8 months. I didn't gain at all during the last four weeks - because not only was my stomach about the size of a golfball, but also becuase during that last month the baby is growing but the amniotic fluid is decreasing, and the two sort of balance each other out.

Everyone gains a different amount of weight. As long as you're eating healthy (getting plenty of fruits and vegetables, etc) I wouldn't worry about the amount of weight.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.