Concentration curls form pointers?

sln

Cathlete
Hi Cathe - I love the PS tapes and I always find that they wipe me out, but I'm having some trouble with the concentration curls. I don't think I'm feeling the bicep bulge and contract like it needs to. I don't "feel the burn" on these like I "want" to. I don't know if I don't have my elbow in the right position, or if I'm holding the weight at the wrong angle or what. Which end of the dumbbell is supposed to be closest to your shoulder - the outside edge or the edge closest to the body (if that makes sense) Do you have any form pointers to share that would help me?

biceps

Here are some form pointers. When doing concentration curls, use full range of motion without totally locking out at the bottom of the curl. You also want to be sure that when you curl to the top that you stop a few inches shy of your shoulder. Your wrist should stay in a fixed position for the entire duration of the curl/set. Do not let your wrist hyperextend. The inside head of the dumbell will be the one closest to your shoulder. Your curling arm should be relaxed along the inside of your thigh for support. If you still find this particular exercise position unchallenging, then you can work negatives in this position. I will be putting this exercise on the cardio/bicep workout in the 6 pack series. What you do is take a weight that is slighty heavier than what you can now curl. For instance, if you do concentration curls with a 15 pound dumbell then for the negatives grab an 18 or 20 pound dumbell. Now sitting in your concentration curl position, take your free hand and assist your curling arm in bringing the weight to the top of the curl. Now SLOWLY lower the weight down to the bottom of the curl. Allow about 10 seconds to lower the weight. As soon as you get to the bottom(remember, don't lock out), take your free hand and help pull the curling arm to the top of the curl and, again, slowly lower down 10 seconds. Do 10 reps per arm like this. Hope this helps. Let me know how you make out
happy.gif
!

Thanks Cathe!

Thanks for the tips and for the preview of the heavier curl exercise. This is very helpful info. I will try your tips so I can do a better traditional curl also. Can't wait for the new tapes! You're a peach!

My biceps are crying, "Oh no.....don't get those new tapes!"

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-00 AT 08:18AM (EST)</font></center>

Those negatives sound like torture, in a good way of course.
happy.gif
Just reading the description & imagining the slow controlled descent made my biceps pump. Can't wait!

Kurling Kay

One more thing to try

Make sure that your shoulder is right over your elbow throughout the curl. A lot of people tend to brace in to their inner thigh too hard with the elbow and lean their upper body away from the lift (so if lifting with the right arm and leaning way over to the right side), which makes the movement much easier but not as effective.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.