Colorado question

Debra L

Cathlete
DH has a conference in Breckenridge in late April. Am I right in guessing that there will still be plenty of snow :+ at 10000' for nordic skiing or snowshoeing?

Hopefully Gretchen or another Coloradian will respond. Of course, breathing might be a new challenge since we live at sea level.

Debra

Debra,
I too am from Colorado. I don't snowshoe... but I do think there should still be snow up there in April! I love Breckenridge! We go up there all the time! We were just up there last weekend. You are going to love it!!!!!!! It is soooooo beautiful!

Have you ever been to Colorado before? Where are you staying?

There is a great rec center in the breckenridge/silverthorne area in case your hotel/condo doesn't have one and you want one.

I am mot from Colorado,but we went there last winter and loved it!!There is a ice skating rink in Keystone I would highly reccommend!!It is 5 acres and it has little shops surrounding it..(its an outdoor one).It was one of the funnest things we did there...:)

I also recommend the ice rink Smiley2 talks about. Anytime I have relatives or friends visiting from out of town we always go to the ice rink. It is beautiful even if you don't skate! The shops are really cute too.

There is also a cool nordic center that in Breckenridge that has sleigh rides with horses that take you back in the woods to a dinner in a warm tent with fun, casual live music! We did it a couple years ago over x-mas with the kids and had a ball! It is on the left hand side of the road as you drive into Breckenridge.

Also... ya' gotta eat at Downstairs at Eric's for dinner one night. And for breakfast check out the Columbine Cafe... our favorite 2 restaurants! Sunshine Cafe that is in silverthorne has great breakfast too!

Hope you have fun!

I live in Colorado too and haven't been to Breckinridge in a few years. I need to go up for the weekend soon. Sometimes I take for granted all that Colorado has to offer.

Late April is getting a little dicey depending on what we get snow wise and how quickly it warms up. The past two years have been dismal. So you may be facing "spring snow" conditions. Us Coloradans are begging, hoping, praying, and wishing for massive March and April snowfalls to start filling up the rivers. Colorado is an arid climate, which I'm used to, but this drought is starting to get to me. The poor trees and grass are browning and looking so thirsty, the bears aren't cubbing much, etc. Anyway ...

There are two excellent nordic centers in the area: Breckenridge and Frisco. Check out their Web site at http://colorado.net/~nord/. They're usually pretty good about updating which trails are open, snow conditions, etc.

You can also easily drive up higher from Breckenridge (the town itself sits at only about 9000? feet) towards Leadville, Vail, etc. in pursuit of snow.

Of course, a great alternative is to enjoy some spring hiking. It's always beautiful there in Summit County.

Thanks to all

Thanks to each of you for the tips. I've visited Breckenridge several times (summer & ski season) and loved each visit. I was afraid an April visit would be too early to hike & too late to play in the snow. I don't downhill anymore but would love some track skiing. Haven't been on skis in so long, that I'd prefer some amenities & lessons!

My Spinning buddies keep talking about doing some snowshoeing. One of us needs to pull the trigger & plan it. We're all snowshoe virgins! The Colorado trip puts a carrot in my eyes. Guess it's time to visit REI & get some guidance.

Debra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.