Clean Eating checkin, week 1

This is so cool so many of us doing this now :)

I'm with you Deb the protein seems to be a problems
Had an egg for breakfast (only cuz it's a Sunday)

At the grocery store yesterday saw this new protein bar - odwalla - super protein (has 16 grams of protein) which for me is the toughest to get.

For me it's not as hard not eating things - harder getting enough of the good things.

Anyone have any good ideas for protein (without a lot of prep time).

Specially since many of us are trying to build muscle - protein is sooo important.

Congrats all of us to our success :)

Hi Wendy

I think its wonderful that you have lost 10 lbs since Christmas. I just had a question for you as your diet sounds pretty similar to mine - mainly veggies and fruit as fillers with measured carbs (I know how easy it can be to go overboard with them!) and proteins. I was wondering how much cardio and weights you did on a diet like that as I found I was severely lacking in energy to keep up with an adequate fitness regime on too many fruits and veggies. I have been seeing a nutritionist who says that in order to keep my energy levels up I do need to eat more carbs and in order to build muscle I need atleast 90 grams of protein. Do you find you have that you have enough energy to do workouts like BodyMax etc? Hope I am not prying but I am just struggling to find a diet that will enable me to lose weight and do the kind of workouts I like without lacking energy.

Hi! Not out of line at all. I haven't tracked it, and what I posted is just a typical day, but often I have chicken in that stir fry, there is protein in the yogurt and some in my cereal, I have tuna a couple of times a week, and there's some in that peanut butter, and cheese, and milk, I also have fish and OH I ALMOST FORGOT--I eat a ton of beans! There you go... I think I'm probably ok on that front, but you never know. Isn't there protein in just about everything? Thanks for pointing that out--I'll check in with fit day and see what it says :)
Wendy

Hi! Check my response above--I had forgotten about the beans! Another snack I sometimes have is celery with a little light cream cheese and tomato chutney --yum, and there's some more fat and protein. I think my original post made it sound like I'm living on fruits and veggies, but I am actually eating breads, rice, pasta, beans, some chicken and fish, some dairy, etc.
You can also check my workouts in the weekly check-in, but I will say that I have had plenty of energy to continue my workouts as I have always done. I don't think I work out as intensely as many on this forum--went that way for a few months and my body ached form all the overuse and high impact. (That's just me--I'm not saying other people shouldn't work out that way, I just don't...) I'm just saying that what I eat provides enough energy for the workouts I do, but if you are working out more intensely, you will need to fuel those with possibly more food!
Good luck :)
Wendy

RE: Question about Clean Eating.....

Maybe this is a stupid question, and if it is, I'm sorry. Just please know that I have blonde hair. Do you consider eating MRP's, and using protein powder a part of clean eating?? Every morning, I have a 1/2 c. of dry oatmeal, throw on some berries, and 1 T. of Pumkin seeds, then I pour a scoop of protein powder mixed with water on it, and eat it like cereal. I also have a MyoLite evry night before bed. I only add about 4 oz. of water, and 2 T. of sugar free pudding, and put it in the freezer for an hour. Add 2 T. of Cool Whip Free, and it is good. Are these things considered eating clean?? Thanks!!!!
Lori

RE: Question about Clean Eating.....

Day 6 here and I've also dropped 3 lbs. No cravings either.

Lori, I think there are gonna be differing opinions on the MRP's question, but I do use it once a day. I think it's a quick way to get a snack in and keep pro/carb ratio in check. PLUS, you get a little chocolate fix. I guess totally clean would be eating only *real* food, but we just do the best we can, right? That night-time concoction of your's sounds sooo good. I think I'll try it this weekend.

Have a great day!! Robin.

Hi Karen! I ate pretty clean except for yesterday due to me getting my period any day now.:-( Far too many biscottis. I eat every 3-4 hrs. Anyway ate for Meal 1: Optimum cereal w/orange & soy milk, egg white cheese omelets w/whole wheat English muffin, or oatmeal w/flaxseed & raisins. Meal 2: smoked salmon mixed w/avocado on whole wheat English muffin & mixed green & spinach salad w/goat cheese in it. Meal 3: mixed vegs. w/Boca burger & sweet potato or new potato or roasted potatoes. Meal 4: yogurt w/low-fat cranberry muesli or a piece of fruit. Meal 5: fruit smoothie. Pretty good for my week considering yesterday's downfall. Best, Kathy

Here's a couple of tricks I use:

Tofu instead of even non-fat mayo for tuna (mixed with oregano, dill pickle relish, dash of salf and some pepper)

Non-fat sour cream for veggie dips

Plain, non-fat yogurt for salad dressing packets.

I also highly recommend In the Kitchen with Rosie for low-fat ideas that can even be used for fun dinner options with friends without having to go off my clean eating.

Hope you like!

YIKES! I went to Fitday.com yesterday and found out that I ate over 2000 calories yesterday. Now, I'm going to use the WW points system with the no sugar/white flour thing and try to control the amt. of food I'm taking in. Wish me luck--this is gonna be a challenge for me. Robin.

Don't worry about occasionally overdoing it with the calories, especially if the calories are coming from good quality food. There is a HUGE difference between 2000 calories from junk food versus 2000 calories of quality food. It is good to fool the body every so often. If you follow a low calorie eating plan on a regular basis, your body will eventually plateau. By occasionally splurging and having some extra calories, you can prevent your body from adjusting to that low calorie intake. I usually have one (okay, maybe two, days) where I eat indulge in a good decadent meal (usually one dinner out and one breakfast). It keeps me sane, my body does not rebel with instant weight gain and I keep my metabolism guessing. :)

Beets:
How often do you do that? And are you talking decadent as in more calories then normal, or decadent as in, not so clean as well as more calories?
I'm feeling a bit boxed in by all this. So, I'm trying to redo my thinking to allow a bit of 'normal' eating once in a while. My psyche needs it. I think I'm going back to ww, too, but with an eye towards cleaner eating most of the time.
Karen

You know, there isn't that much difference in overeating junk food than there is in overeating healthy food when it comes to putting on weight. Your body doesn't differentiate between good and bad foods. Sure, healthy food is healthier but 100 extra calories from brown rice and 100 extra calories from ice cream are both just a hundred extra calories when it comes down to it.

On the other hand, 2000 calories for a healthy, active woman sounds about normal. Liz Applegate, the Runner's World nutrtion columnist weighs 120 pounds and showed one of her entries from her food journal in her book Eat Right, Play Hard and it was well over 2000 calories.

When I first saw this thread I thought it was a great idea but by the end of the thread I see there's alot of very compulsive attitude toward food out there and that's sad. Beware of deprivation! Moderation is key!

Bobbi http://www.plauder-smilies.de/chicken.gif Chicks Rule!

Bobbi! You couldnt have said it better! That's what I've been wrestling with the last few days, and it's really sucked! I so want to simplify things and enjoy myself again. I've been very bummed about how confusing and complicated I let this get for me. My own fault.

I'm going back to ww, and have decided to not make ANY food totally off limits. That only gave that food power, and that was not a good thing for me and my diet/health efforts. I realize that I need a plan that I can live with, and living to me means sometimes not being perfect. The WW plan allows that, but teaches you accountability by making you budget your food choices.

I wish everyone the best in finding a way to eat healthy, in both the physiological sense, and the emotional sense. As Bobbi, and Keta, and others have said, food is meant to be enjoyed, not feared.

Good for you, Kay! Eating something really decadent every once in awhile makes healthy eating more enjoyable. Imagine never savoring chocolate or an ice cream cone! You work out and take care of yourself, you can certainly induge your sweet tooth once in awhile!

The sad fact is 61% of the population is overweight and that can lead to problems with insulin but the average fit woman can have her cake and eat it too. Balance!

I never say supersize but I do say give me a French Fry every once in awhile!:)

Bobbi http://www.plauder-smilies.de/chicken.gif Chicks Rule!

WHite flour slip!

Well guys after 9 days of no sugar and white flour, tonight the kids' homemade pizzas looked sooo good that i helped myself to their leftovers. THey were made out of VERY WHITE DOUGHY STOREBOUGHT PIZZA CRUSTs. NOT HEALTHY ones. BLAH!!!! THey tasted so good. BUT a weird, amazing thing happened, that didn't used to happen to me when I was O.D.ing on refined crap. I CRASHED!!!!!!!!!!! I felt completely drugged. I hit the bed HARD and was in and out of consciousness for about 45 min., sleeping as if I'd just taken a double dose of cough medicine. WOW!!!!! Is this a normal reaction to being off the stuff for 9 days??
Deb

RE: Maybe this will help

Day 8 for me and I think I have this thing licked. I suspect there was sugar in my poppyseed dressing today, but I'm not gonna sweat it. I FEEL GREAT!!

Robin.

My week has gone really well too. Kay, I'm on WW and this clean eating thing really fits in well. Like you, I'm not going to totally deprive myself of anything, because if I do it calls my name!!! But MOST of the time I can keep things clean and that is what its all about.

I do know one thing, since I've left off the sugar and white things I'm having to be more creative to get my all my points in.
But I feel really great and do not have the cravings and ups & downs I had before.

Susan

PS - tomorrow nite is weigh-in, so I'll get to see how this plan is working. I don't own a scale anymore.

doing really well on the clean eating thing too :)

I'm totally motivated - funny giving up white flour and sugar is really getting me to want more fruit, more veggies, and water...

YIPEE...

Not really sure of my goal just a few lbs... but I've taken it up a notch working out (joined a gym) though i must admit i dont really have a routine down at the gym so its more cathe tapes for the intense work out...

think my goal will be to be firm - feel good in summer clothes.. maybe a little six pack

sooo happy for this clean eating group!

Hey Robyn, we have the same goal! LOL, only I have *quite* a few pounds to go.

Day 10-had 2 slices of thin crust pizza last night. I couldn't hardly get out of it without drawing attention to myself and I just didn't feel like working that hard. I really want to be able to live with this. No cravings. Still feel really good. Dipped below 150 lbs this a.m. and I'm so excited!!

Just bought a pair of VS cropped khaki's size 6 as my "goal" pants. Can't wait.

How's everyone else doing?

Robin.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back