***Cheetahs*** Thurs., 8.10

seeking_guns

Cathlete
Hey there, cheetahs!

I planned today as a rest day from running as I just had bloodwork done. May do GS Legs tonight, though.

Have a great day, everyone!
cathy :)

Good morning cheetahs

Cathy...I bet you are enjoying the Garmin!! Resting is good after bloodwork. GS legs is a toughie...

Elaine..I am also a huge 24 fan! great show and now I can see how the 90 min on your Elliptical flies by...I think you will have better luck with the 18 this weekend. I have done some long runs alone and it has been tough as I usually have company. I know I would think about the run all week and focus on the good feeling after I finish. 18 was always a favorite distance of mine when marathon training, I just felt so accomplished after running it (even slow)...I'll be pulling for you...:)

I feel things have gotten out of hand with John. He now has 4 infections, one is strep and it almost seems like his paralysis is secondary. I talked to his Mom yesterday and she is so frustrated. How in the world do you go into a Hospital without infections and get 4!! I am also a bit upset...I think they are looking into some kind of an advocate for help.

I'll be doing S&H legs, Baron's Core Yoga and then trying and iTread #3 for 20 mins this time on my Nordic. I'll probably ass some step as I like to keep my cardio at 30 min...

Have a good day...:)

Cathy, I wasn't around much yesterday so I don't know-did you have a chance to try out your garmin? What did you think?? I got mine yesterday but haven't had a chance to sit down with it yet. I'm excited though!:)

Carole, That's terrible about your nephew. I don't blame your sister. I think frustration is the mild term for how she's probably feeling at this point. I hope they find a solution quickly. Prayers and thoughts are with everyone involved ofcourse.

Well I stuck w/my rest day yesterday...Early in the day I thought I might w/o anyway but I didn't. I actually ended up not feeling all that well....I took that as a sign and rested. ;)

I dropped DS at my mom's for the night last night and want to work out today so I'll probably hit the gym and then figure out the garmin. I'll save the outdoor run for tomorrow. I would go out right now but I'm NOT hittin' the road w/o my new toy and don't have time to figure it out and still get outside early enough. :p

Hi Runners--

Cathy -- resting after bloodwork seems smart. I'm thinking staying well hydrated today is a good idea, too. I always have to psych up for GS legs-- moreso the floor than standing. But it's one of my fave's

Carole -- frustrating about the quad of infections for your nephew. I am sure your sister is going out of her mind on multiple fronts. Maybe Christine should bring some treats by? Why not?? I'm thinking Shelly C will have some good ideas about how you can go from zero infections to four. Maybe once you are cut open (sorry to be gross here..) it's not what hospital you are at, but just that you are in a highly vulnerable state to germs?? I'm not an MD, just shooting from the hip here having had a few relatives & friends go through chemo and seeing how they seemed to be utter black velvet magnets for complications.....

Elaine--I sympathize with the peetering out on your run yesterday. I have never run that far, but have had a carb depletion problem and just wanted to kick myself afterwards. I know you will get this all straightened out before your marathon and do great.
I feel for your DS starting high school. Even though he may get teased, there are probably kids who are kind, too -- hard to focus on that once the mean words hit. I hope he does ok in the transition. Glad your DD is doing well getting set for Big K day!

I did a short treadmill-interval run today -- with the new orthotics, to check out how they are working. I've been avoiding speed work since the half marathon to give the ITB-Hip situation time to heal and once I get my orthotics, I'll pick a new training goal.

Did HSC abs after and slideboarding before.

I want an elliptical, too! This sounds like such a great XT device -- but I don't want to rejoin a gym..hmmm, I will think..maybe I can cut a hole in my ceiling so I can buy one!

Hi to everyone checking in later. Katie, Mattea, Marcia, Pamela, Laura, Judy, Jess (on vacation?) Shelly C, Laurie, Yadi, the Wendy-Meister, Karen V. who I hope is lurking, Amy, Christine, Barbara, and anyone else I"m missing.:eek:

Have a great day.
Barb
:) :) :)

Barb...LOL! Cut a hole in your ceiling! LMAO! That's like me. I'd need to put it outside in order to have an elliptical or treadmill in my house which is precisely why I joined the gym! :7

Okay....so how low are all of your ceilings????...:)

Wendy...thanks for your prayers...I hope I hear a bit better news today. Have fun with your Garmin today. I think they are not to hard to figure...

Barb...yes Shelly might have some more insight. I do think spinal patients get infected easily. Its just that there does not seem to be much communication with the Doctor and I feel you have to PUSH for this! I think you are smart to avoid speedwork with the ITB/hip issue. I do hope the orthotics can help...Good workout today..

Hello Cheetahs-
This Cheetah is a cross trainer this week. Today was Circuit Max, followed by a visit with my internist. His thought is that my pain is most likely tendonitits and not a bursa or arthritis. The good news is that I will go to PT for a few exercises, and stick to off road running. Fortunately we have the Erie Canal right here and there are miles and miles of trail to run. However it must be done with a buddy or two.

Carole- Having worked in Respriatory Care in critical care untis, I cared for many patients with secondary infections. These people are fighting hard to heal and there bodies are in a weakened state. Ability to fight infections can be compromised quite easily. Communicating with the medical staff is important. Your sister is right to keep at it.

Wendy- How do you like the Garmin? Was it expensive? I have been relying on Mapmyroute.com (or is it mapmyrun?) to clock distances. I never know my heart rate though.

Barb- How is it going with your HIP/ITBand issues?

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

Judy, I haven't sat down with the Garmin to even figure it out yet. LOL I am hoping to do that today. I have messed with mapmyrun.com and don't care for it...I am just not good at using it! LOL That is why I opted for the Garmin. I bought a 101 for $90 and that includes shipping. That was the cheapest price I could find. I was happy with that.

Good Morning everyone, didn't have time to check in yesterday but did go for a 2 1/2 mile run outside yesterday and my MP3 froze so frustrating. I just brought my husband a new one the other day because his just died and now I need one. It's been doing that alot lately. I also went swimming. Today I am not sure what I have for plan. I was thinking either cardio or GS BS&B. Will see. I also have to clean my upstairs today which I also do on Thursdays.

Carole I am so sorry for all those set back that your nephew is having. It must be so frustrating for your sister. I don't blame her for feeling the way she does. I have a 26 year old nephew who in is Senior Year of football while playing on the field broke his leg. He was so depress because he was suppose to get a scolarship. He was the top player. I know this is nothing compare to what your nephew is going through but wanted to share.

Wendy let us know how your new toy works.

Judy I hope your hips are feeling better. Let us know what the Dr says.

Hi to Barb, Elaine, Christene, Pamela, Katie, Marcia, KellyC, Laura, Cathy, and Jess and everyone else.

Hey there Cheetahs!

Cathy – great idea to rest from Cardio after bloodwork. If you get dizzy at all during GS legs, stop and do it later. Good luck and have fun!

Carole – Oh how frustrating and disheartening! I hope the infections clear up soon!! And I’m happy to put together a little goodie basket if you think it might ease the frustration for a moment. I hope your workout eases your tensions for a moment as well.

Wendy – “Enjoy” your time alone! I say it that way as I know it’s a mixed blessing. The time alone is nice, but missing the little one is tough! And have fun with your Garmin!

Elaine – oh I know the whole petering out thing! That why I ended up running the 10k instead of the Half. I need to be more like you – pushing through instead of letting a bad run deter me. I really admire you!

Barb – Funny you mentioned Amy – I’m having lunch with her today! I will bring a camera – we’ll be looking much better than when we trail run! I hope your hip feels better soon! When do you get your orthotics? A hole in the ceiling eh? Now that’s funny!

Judy – I’ve found that Mapmyrun is pretty accurate, but you have to magnify it and make sure you get all the little curves and twists. You’d be surprised at how much a little curve can add to mileage! I originally mapped a run at 4.2 miles, but it’s actually 4.58. My 8 miles was a little off, but I was not careful with it. It was close enough.

My DH’s DS is proving to be everything I feared unfortunately. It’s not a good thing. So, that’s on my plate right now. Seriously, though, I have much more patience now as I realize after everything Carole and her sisters have been through that this is an inconvenience.

My workout today is an easy 4 mile run and GS Legs. It’s supposed to be hot here today, so I’ll do the run first to get it over with. I was thinking of a trail run, but I think a street run would make more sense. Then I have lunch with Miss Amy! I’m excited about that. We’re going to a funky little health food restaurant in Cupertino across from the college. I’ve never been there before.

Edited to add - HEY BARBARA!!! How goes it?!

Enjoy your days Cheetahs!!!

Carole ~ I am really sorry to hear about John's ongoing setbacks. I hope he catches a break, and things turn around. Hopefully he's keeping his spirit up & is fighting hard. I do like the Garmin--though I'm still learning about all its little tricks.

Wendy ~ I did run with the Garmin yesterday!! Very cool--even though I didn't set something right and it wound up only tracking my pace in the beginning and nothing else. About midway through the run, I pressed *something* and then it did finally calculate distance and time. I actually do like mapmyrun but thought this would be cool since you can "race" against your partner and be aware of your pace and progress AS you run. I think we did good w/ our purchases. :)

Barb ~ I have to work up the nerve for GS Legs, too. It is tough! I don't do it probably as often as I should. Good advice on hydrating...will do!

Judy ~ I've used mapmyrun, too, and I do like it, but I decided to spring for the Garmin after hearing so many positives here. I purchased the 201 for $116 through walmart.com. Mine doesn't have an HRM.

Hi to Christine, Elaine, Jess, Pamela, Mattea, Thomasina, Laura, Laurie, Barbara, Katie, Marcia, ShellyC, and anyone else who drops by.

-cathy :)

Well -- my regular 1st floor and 2nd floor ceilings are 8 feet -- so an elliptical could go in the: kitchen, family room, living or dining room, kids bedrooms or my bedroom (not workable) In the basement where I workout the ceilings are 7 feet at best. Since I am 5'9" I think with the height of the elliptical itself, it would be my opportunity to become a TBI (traumatic Brain injury patient) -- and I'm already trying to save all the brain power I have, as I feel like a space case on many a day.

Carole -- communicating with doctors/staff is definitely hard. Good luck to your sister. I am married to a physican and even communicating with a doctor on the homefront is a challenge. I think they need Mattea, the English doctoral candidate, as a tutor. I have a female friend who is an ER doc, and she is kind of hard to talk to, too....

Christine-- sorry DH's DS is turning out to be what you feared. Very stressful -- but I guess better it's DS than DH? But still a tough situation to know what to do. I hope you can get some help and support at home. Have fun with Amy having lunch, you lucky Cheetah!

Judy -- glad your doctor thinks your hip pain isn't serious. Thanks for asking about me. I'm doing good with hip/ITB soreness. If I do all the exercises, stretching, etc. I'm good. If I slack on it, I'm not. I think the orthotics will definitely help. The guy who makes them is this burly football-player-looking kind of guy and I just love him. I feel like an official athelte when he talks to me. Circuit Max is a fun workout. It's great you are keeping up with cross-training so diligently while you are unable to do your regular runs.

Wendy--have fun figuring out the Garmin. I think it will be your new best friend with running. I have a friend who put a concept 2 rowers on her back patio because there was no room in the house. I actually have a Concept 2 rower, but don't use it as much as I should. More of a dread factor for me than for an IMAX.

Barbara-- I had to get a new battery on my IPOD. Definitely a pain. I like to swim, too, for cross training. I like to do kickboxing or total body workouts when I can't figure out what workout to do. I bet Mattea will have ideas for you.

Cathy-- good luck with GSL. Sometimes I do the exercises in mixed up order to combat my dread. I go to Mix and Match and I do the exercises in the order in which I feel my legs hurt and try to chase down the soreness. Sometimes I start with squats, then go to deadlifts, then back to lunges, then Plie squats, then step ups.....Similar to what Carole was saying about PUB...

Hi to everyone else who's coming later or posting at the same time!
Barb
:) :) :)

Good Morning ladies!

Today I'll be doing core, PUB and a 4 mile hilly run. I have to fit this all in this morning since I've got other commitments this afternoon.

Carole, Thanks for all of the info and advice you've offered! If I end up running alone I'll think about you pulling for me and hopefully that will help. I'd hate to have another bad report to give! I did buy an entire case of Accelerade so I'm all set to recreate the same scenario of my 15 and 17 mile runs that went fantastic. I'm sorry to hear about John's numerous infections. I remember hearing or reading somewhere that spinal cord injury patients frequently have problems with pneumonia when in the hospital after their injury. That could have to do with how high up the injury is but it leads me to believe that secondary problems are common. I'm still thinking and praying for him and your family. I'm sure your sister is having an incredibly hard time. I cannot imagine seeing one of my children hurting so badly and powerless to fix it!

Cathy, Enjoy your rest day.

Wendy, Enjoy your Garmin. I absolutely love mine and don't know how I got by without it. Your 5K is almost here! Did I read on a previous post that your running class is done?

Barb, Yes, I think that there are kids who are kind to my DS but he wants to have friends so badly yet just does not have the social skills! He's a sweetheart but annoying as hell sometimes! LOL!! I think he's looking forward to HS for the increasing independence and that he'll be fine. You know how us moms can be when everything in our kids lives are not 100% perfect. And you were right on about the swimming. Since I didn't really have time to take some sort of martial arts class with him then I had DD and DS taking swim lessons the entire summer. DD is not yet swimming by DS really improved. He's now working on the butterfly and breaststroke. After we are all settled into our new school routine then I'll get him signed up at the pools non-competetive swim team. Boy! I'm chatty today! I hope your orthotics work for you. I have some new ones but don't plan on using them until after the marathon. And I'm with Carole.....I want to know just how low are your ceilings?

Judy, Hope your hip is feeling better soon. I envy your miles and miles of trails!

Hi Christine, Enjoy your run and your lunch with Amy! I know what you mean about Carole's nephew putting things in proper perspective. My brother is really sick with cancer and when I feel like beating myself up because I screwed up an 18 mile run all I have to do is think about him and I am thankful that I can even run 3 miles!

Barb, Wow, you've got some bad MP3 luck! You didn't wear it while swimming did you? LOL!

Hi Elaine.

My garmin is outside right now finding it's signal. :)

No, my running class is not over...3 more to go before the race. I just signed up for the next level class though which starts the Wednesday after the race!}(

Morning ladies. Well, today I was supposed to do PLB and a 3 mile run, but all day yesterday I had a borderline migraine and when my alarm went off this morning it was still lingering. I decided that working out would only bring it back full blown, so I took a rest day today instead of tomorrow. It's still kind of hanging on, but not nearly as bad. I always get this during TTOM, so at least I know when to expect them, but they are usually not this intense. At least the worst of it seems to be over.

I'll try to write more later, but I have to go for now.

Have a great day ladies!

Katie

Elaine--by some stroke of luck I didn't wear the I-pod swimming...the battery just fizzled. Then my remarkable DH fixed the battery and wrecked the treble--but then he fixed it. It was kind of funnyl listening to songs with half the music missing.

About your DS-- so glad swimming was good. In my work, I see some kids and families with Asperbergers and I have one person I worked with in his mid-20s with Aspergers. Biggest challenge he had really was that he was handsome--because people he met didn't expect anything but "totally normal" behavior out of him. So it became a burden for him to:
-- notice when he goofed (what are the cues to learn how to read that say: "i goofed")
---figure out what to say, because the other person would not assume he was challenged
-- he ended up learning "stock phrases" that really helped him bridge bad social moments.
e.g "One of my challenges is..." or "Sometimes i'm not so great with...." or basically teaching catch phrases that cover a lot of gaffs. "I'm sorry if I did something off ..." or a big helper: "I'm lost here, could you please explain blah blah..."

I'm sure you already do a bunch of stuff to make his life as great as possible. And I totally know what you mean about being driven crazy by the lack of social skills. It can take mammoth energy to remember that a kid with Asperger's never means to be a pain in the b-tt, but sadly they are....

Ok, off to my day. Good luck with your next long run!!!
I know you will get the nutrition down to the letter for the real race.
-Barb

Barb, If I lived in an area where it would make sense, I would consider putting a piece of equipment outdoors but I can't here in Jersey. That's just nuts! LOL My garmin is ready to go. I can't wait until tomorrow now! :7

Wendy-- have fun with your Garmin...I can't wait to hear how you like it.

Katie-- sorry about the Migraine. Smart to rest up. At least you know it will pass, but it's no fun to have a migraine. Sending you healing vibes!
Barb

Good afternoon Cheetahs,

Carole, I'm so sorry about your nephew's setbacks. This must be so rough on all of you. I continue to pray for you all. {{HUGS}}

Thank you everyone for all of your kind words of encouragement and motivation. It really helps. :)

Cathy and Wendy, I'm very curious about your new toys. Please describe once you get a chance to try them out, okay? :)

Wendy, I'm considering downloading an Itrain itread workout (40 min). Which do you recommend, and why? TIA :)

Today was another short cardio session, but it was fun. I biked the long way to the pool, hopped under the shower and then jumped in to swim a few laps. Boy, swimming fast was just as hard as an IMAX. (Also, despite being a Florida native, I'm not the greatest swimmer;)) After I couldn't do another lap, I quickly toweled dry, hopped back on the bike for another lap through the community. 30 min, max hr 80, avg 72 (took several breaks in the pool :)). Now I'm off to do some weightwork. I'm scheduled for PUB, but I'm thinking maybe a premix or P90X Shoulders & Arms.

Shelly, Barb, Mattea, Barbara, Laurie, Elaine, Karen, Karin, Gayle, Thomasina, Christine, Laura, Marcia, Judy, Jess, Katie and everyone else who pops in later, hello and have a great Thursday!

Hi Pamela. I will definately be posting about the garmin once I've used it. :) I currently only have one 40 min Itread, one 20 min and one 60 min. The 40 min that I have is set 3. It is comprised of a few small hills, lots of flat endurance running and some sprinting. It's main focus is endurance running though with some speed variations. I can't compare it to another 40 min one as I don't have any others currently. Sorry I can't be more help!:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.