::: CHEETAHS ::: Sun., 10/8

Laura...My HR was small, but then I found out you could adjust the data field on the Garmin. So I have 4 things, HR, Pace, Distance and total time of the run. I don't know how the 301 works but there are 2 other data fields you can adjust to show what you want, so now my HR is not small and I can read it.

Wendy...http://bestsmileys.com/signs8/3.gif[/img] on the 5 miler. You look great in the finish!!

Linda...I am not sure the calories are real accurate. I am not sure if your watch was searching for the Satellites while you were running if the distance is accurate?? I think on the Garmin site their might be a Forum where you could ask that question. I know there is a Forum on the www.motionbased.com site . I agree that the Garmin is a very helpful tool for runners...:)

Susan...of course there is football!!!! I'm just taking a break right now. Good run with your DH...

Shelly...yes, I do think it was too soon for John. Although we did miss him...I'm glad you got in 6 miles and that your groin seems better. Good job with the patio...:)

Cathy...wow!!! you did a marathon type workout!!! The weather was great yesterday for the Wedding. I am sorry about John too...

I can't wait to hear from Elaine. I thought she was trying to qualify but I didn't want to ask this close to the marathon!!! I am so happy for her that it is tough to find the words...:)

I ended up doing a 20 min iClimb then set off for a 10 mile run. My HR was unusally high which in my experience could be overtraining or possibly a cold coming on. So I cut the run to 8 miles, then came home and did another 30 min on the Elliptical...that made me feel better...

I wanted to share another pic. Adam & Sarah's dog Tico also was included in the Wedding. He had the cuteset tux on!!

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL752/3147882/6408279/193942690.jpg

Yeah Wendy!! What a fabulous time!!! WAY TO GO!!! And you had doubts - I didn't! I'm so proud of you!

Wow!! I'm finished. Can even walk - no pain, only muscle soreness. Did it in about 2 hours 25 minutes (offical time will be posted later). DH, the one who has not run at all in about a year? He beat me by 5 minutes. I hate men. :p It was tough, no doubt - I don't know how you ladies who run the full's do it! But it was sooo worth it. DH is already talking about the next one - I'm like Laurie who said it's like Child Birth - yeah, I'll probably do it again, but let me recover from this one first!

I probably should have had some Gatoraid or something earlier. Around mile 6 I got a side stitch, and more or less managed to run through it, but about 6.5 miles they had Amino Water, so I took that, and within 5 minutes, the side stitch was gone. The bands were so fun - and they were so encouraging. And the cheer squads were cute. They really were into it - holding up signs that said, "Jocks Rock!" And "Go Runners Go!" As we ran through San Jose and a lot of the neighborhoods, the people were out in full force. At one point we had a boy who was all of six playing his guitar with his brother adjusting the amp. He was actually not bad!! We all cheered him! The people were just incredible - both the runners and the spectators! They really kept me going. I was really feeling it around miles 10 and 11. I wanted to stop and walk, but I remembered Jess who ran 7 miles with her knee on fire and that gave me the incentive to go on. When I saw mile marker 12, I was so stoked and ended up sprinting the last half a mile.

This was San Jose's first half, and I have to say they did a remarkable job. 15,000 people, and I hit the rest room before I ran, and did not wait more than 5 minutes. The brochure said there were 500 port-a-potties. I believe it. We got free Spenco Sandals and a cool (very heavy) medal.

Afterwards, we had to hit Gordon Birsch - a restaurant/brewer to watch the Patriots (DH's team). Oh man, I think half the race was there! I don't know how many times I heard that the beer provided the carbs needed after a race. Whatever - it just tasted really, really good! We got to chatting with a couple from Phoenix who are running the 1/2 of the RNR in Phoenix in January, and several other folks. Runners are just good people. We had such a good time. Now I'm ready for a nap.

I really want to thank ALL of you for your support. I never would have done this had I not stumbled upon this check in and had you wonderfully encouraging ladies to push me to do far more than I ever thought I could do. I'm STILL in shock that I just ran 13.1 miles today. ME! Nah, no way... It just goes to show you how a bit of determination and a lot of support can help move mountains (or at least miles). Thank you from the very bottom of my heart...

Christine,
Way to go!!!! It really is amazing how this check-in has raised the bar for so many of us. There are so many mentors here for all of us. You are mine now. I have got to run a half now! That is great that your hubby did it and now wants to do it again. It is great to have the spouse support. I bet you will sleep like a baby tonight. Great job and the next one you want to do, count me in. I am just down the road:) Enjoy those endorphins!

susan

Susan - Absolutely! I would love to have you run with us!! And you're right - this check in has raised the bar - such supportive wonderful ladies!! I know we'll do this one again. And we're doing the 10.6 miler in Monterrey in March/April (the Big Sur Marathon). If you see one you want to do, let me know... I may have forgotten the pain enough to try again. :p

One thing I forgot to mention - The course was kind of funny in that you ran around one section of downtown, then you took "The Alameda" (a long street through town) to another section of town and ran around there for a bit, then you ran back and finished near to where you started (nice for parking!) We hit the Alameda about mile 5 and about an hour in the course. The front runners - the ones competing for money - were coming back, so we got to see the winners run - and it was poetry to see. I were all cheering and screaming them in! It was so neat. I enjoyed that about this course.

Christine :: congrats on your finish! Sounds like the race was a blast. I love race atmosphere, esp. the big ones. You can really get swept up in it all. Thanks for sharing your report. What a fantastic accomplishment! Followed by beer! What could be better?? :) Oh, and I agree--it's great that we cheetahs cheer on one another the way we do. Got a good case of the warm fuzzies now. Enjoy that good-tired feeling!

WAY TO GO CHRISTINE! Awesome job girlfriend! And great description of the experience. Sounds like it was tons of fun! oh, and smack your DH for me. LOL That would be my DH! He hasn't run in years abut keeps sayin' he wants to run a race with me one day...ya know he'll beat me on very little training!:p

Man with all of this inspriration flyin' around I think I'm gonna have to train for a half! Maybe next year!!! }( }( }( :eek: I think I need to get the other distances behind me first though, ey? :p

I just went lookin' for my race results. They are not posted yet but they have the pics up. There is a VERY scarey pic of my friend and I. Actually, she looks fine. I am the one who looks SCAREY! :eek: Thank goodness DH's shots weren't that bad! :p

Hi everyone,

Just woke up from my nap (running 13.1 can really make you tired ;)), and I can finally post about the run!!

First off, Christine: I'm sooo sorry, I didn't see your note about Gordon Biersch until just now :(. I so wanted to meet you! We'll have to meet up at a regular run around here--maybe Campbell Park or somewhere else along the Los Gatos Creek Trail?

Christine already went into great detail about the race, so I won't add much except to say, the course was so much nicer than I thought it would be! When I first heard we'd be running through the downtown area, I thought, "Hmm, that won't be exceedingly pretty..." LOL! I live near downtown so I guess I take some of these sights for granted ;). But wow, we definitely went through the nice parts. As Christine said, we went down a very long street called The Alameda, and we were darn close to my alma mater, SCU at one point. So very cool! But we would have crossed into Santa Clara at that point, and it isn't called the San Jose Half for nothing LOL.

There was this one section in a neighborhood called the Rose Garden that was soooo pretty. I'd love to get a house there someday (if I ever won the lotto or something ;)).

Anyway, I had a really great run up until--yeah, you guessed it, mile 11. Actually, I was already having a bit of foot pain at mile 9, but still managed to be on a really fast pace for me. Up until mile 11, I averaged 10-minute miles!! I never do 10-minute miles!! I ended up finishing in ~ 2:44 (I'll find out my official time later today)--that's 30 min faster than my Maui time!!!! And 47 min faster than the last one I ran before Maui (i.e. last year's Nike)!! I can't believe it!!

I'm feeling ok, relatively speaking. My feet are very sore, but other than that, my hamstrings, quads, and calves are good. My left knee isn't doing so hot because I banged it in the shower after--I ended up going to my parents' to shower and I'm not used to their shower and, well... Ouch. Big bruise around my knee and it was swollen for a while, but I iced it down before I took a nap. It's feeling much better now, but I was really worried.

Anyway, I am sooooooooooo happy I signed up for this run!! I am going to rest for the next two weeks so I'm refreshed for Nike, but this was so much fun and I think I'm going to sign up for the 2007 one soon :). We got a $15 off coupon for it *hee*.

Jennifer

PS Just checked, and they have my time up!!! :) :) I finished in 2:47:43!!

Jennifer,
GREAT JOB!!!!! What a rush!!! You must be so proud of yourself. Another inspiration on this forum! I love the Rose Garden area. I actually went to High School at Lincoln which is right over there. So, you have another half coming. When is your Nike and where is it?

Anyway, I am so proud of all you guys! Have a great couple of rest weeks and hopefully you will pop in here and let us know how you are doing. AWESOME JOB!!!!

Susan

Susan: the Lincoln cheerleaders came out and cheered for us :). I appreciated it, even though technically Lincoln was our rival (I went to Gunderson--yes, the "concrete prison" LOL).

Nike is in SF, so close to home still!

Jennifer

YEAH JENNIFER!!!! WAY TO GO!!! We could have been running beside each other at points, and never known it. We do have to meet up! I love the Los Gatos Creek Trail. Let me know. I agree the course was a lot prettier than I expected, too. It was a fun run, and DH wants to make it a yearly event, so...

Wendy - LOVE the photo of you at the finish line! You did one heck of a good job! And absolutely I'll smack him for you! We're both walking a bit funny right now, but even his knee isn't bothering him. Well, I guess I can't complain too much - he did run it with me. And ABSOLUTELY!! Ya need to start eying a Half. Take your time and find one that will be a fun experience, then do it. I hurt, and I'm exhausted - but man do I feel like I accomplished something today. I have the feeling that we'll be reading about your full marathon one day.

Cathy- thanks for the kudos!! And yeah, no better way to finish a race then with a good local brew and fellow racers! This board is just wonderful.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} to all of you!!! Thank you so much for all of your encouragement!

Christine: woohoo, that sounds like a plan :). I'm usually out at the trail @6AM every Thursday. There's a bunch of us current and ex-TnTer's who run the weekly "buddy run" there. The last few months I've been running the trail from another starting point because I had to lead my own buddy run, but now that the season is just about over, I'm going to rejoin my buddy run group.

Much safer, IMHO, since it's pretty dark early in the morning now and I'd rather run with a group than by myself!

During the off-season (which for me is November to May), I'll sometimes run on the LG Creek Trail on a Saturday every so often. I usually do more cross-training (can't wait to get back to my Cathe cardio :)) in the off-season, but I'm always up for a Saturday run! I signed up for a Saturday pilates class that starts at 9:30 in the morning, though, so I'd have to go around 7, but the class last until December, I think, so after that I could run a little later...

Anyway, glad to hear you are feeling ok too. I hear ya on the sore muscles LOL. My knee is still not happy with me, but I'll just keep icing it. I figure once the bruise eases, it'll be 100% again.

Jennifer

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.