::::: CHEETAHS ::::: Sat., 2/24

seeking_guns

Cathlete
Yikes! I have been up since 3 am!! Woke up from a weird dream and couldn't go back to sleep. I figured I'd fire up the computer for a little bit and tire myself out that way.

Catching up from yesterday...

Marcia :: got a kick out of people pulling up to the bar in their snowmobiles! Yikes ~ it sounds like it could be a wild storm.

Wendy :: yeah, I’m actually glad the program will force me to include yoga because, as I mentioned before, when things get busy for me, that is usually the first thing that goes…Lunch sounds good. :) …Did you say “warm winter”??? Are we in the same state? *lol*

Laura :: I love the GS workouts…I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Having those *AND* P90 will give you *tons* of variety. I hope you (and Christine) have better luck with eBay than I did, though. I don’t think I’ll buy a DVD through an auction again…Re: the BM workouts – I see you agree they are best as an add-on.

Gayle :: feel better soon!!

Carole :: sounds like some crazy weather out there…hope the run wasn’t too chilly.

Judy:: no, I’m not familiar with that book. Can you give us the CliffNotes version of why he’s against working legs?

Sunny :: it’d be nice if some of us can manage to meet up at the Road Trip!

Barb :: hope you got a lot done yesterday and enjoyed getting your hair cut. How great for your friend—two years is a long time to be looking for a new job! Good reason to celebrate!

Jess :: yippee on your pain-free run! You have nailed my philosophy of listening to the body, and I think it is one that comes about once you’ve endured a stubborn injury and you then understand your body better than you thought you did. Christine and I were talking about this a few weeks ago – how runners & other endurance athletes, in particular, are so used to putting mind over matter that it is easy to push yourself too hard and ignore what your body is telling you. That compulsion to work out sometimes has us going against what our body really *needs*. Good for you that you are learning to take better care of yourself!…Yeah, I’m diggin’ the X! Don’t really wanna go Cathe-free for 90 days, but we’ll see…I am using Spri bands for the pullups…Thanks – I do need luck. Not for the bloodwork itself,which is a snap, but for the fasting part of it! As soon as you tell me I can’t eat, I become ravenous. *lol*

Susan :: hope you’ve shaken the blahs…How’s Mariah’s chin?…Excellent job restraining yourself at lunch…I am with you – it takes an effort for me to go out to eat & make smart choices. If I’m hungry and the smell of all the delicious, bad things is in the air, I have to fight not to (over)indulge!!

A question for P90 users :: on L&B, do you use weights for most of the lunges & squats?

Today, after my bloodwork & breakfast, I'd like to run & do YogaX. The massage I'd scheduled for this morning had to be postponed as my massage therapist has the flu. Darn! I was SO looking forward to it after weeks of nonstop stress. Oh well, next weekend!

Enjoy your Saturday, ladies! Will be back later.
Cathy :)

PS...T-shirt folks :: I have not had any time this week to place the order...I will get to it as soon as I can...otherwise, if you guys are really itchin' for the shirts and somebody wants to take it over, let me know.

Good morning everyone!

Cathy - I am glad you finally got some shipping info on your Fluidity! On L&B I did use weights. I love that workout. After my BBC rotation for a couple more weeks (if I make it that long before my exercise ADD kicks in) I may do some P90X again. I am in no hurry on the t-shirts! Don't worry about trying to rush and get it done on my account.....just whenever is fine with me :)

Barb - I have been able to squeeze the Fluidity in a couple of times this week, I believe. So that was pretty good. I am hoping after I get a little more used to it, it won't be so much of a big deal to me. Congratulations to your friend! I hope she loves her new job!

Laura - I have to say...I really do love P90X.....but my best results (definition-wise) was definitely with GS'S! I know a lot of people had their best with P90X.....but GS was better suited to me! Don't get me wrong, though! I love them both and you can't go wrong with either!! Good luck on your bid!

I took yesterday off from exercise. This morning I "Plan" on doing the total body Unweighted portion of Barry's Bootcamp and hopefully a run. :7

Have a good day, everyone and HI to everyone!!

Linda

Hey guys, I'm back. As I hit send on my last post (in the wee hours of the morning!), a migraine hit me. :( Weird, because I haven't had one of those in over a year. I couldn't take or eat anything on account of the bloodwork, so I just went back to bed and slept for a few hours. And even weirder, it's not that bad. I have a headache, but no nausea. It's definitely not as intense as the migraines I used to get. Still, if it sticks around this morning, I might just go for yoga, but I'm gonna play it by ear.

Linda :: Oh, I checked the tracking and it looks all fouled up. I thought it was shipping from PA, but apparently, it's coming from western Canada. According to the tracking, it was in Canada one day, California the next, back to Canada - *lol* somehow there must be a glitch w/ the system. At any rate, the scheduled delivery date is supposed to be Wednesday... I can't wait!...Thanks for the feedback on L&B. I did use weights when they did, but I was wondering if the fierce cheetahs here used them on more of the exercises. Hope your workout plans work out for you today!

Good morning, CHEETAHS:

Well, we got snow to say the least. There has to be at least 8 inches out there and over a foot MORE suppose to arrive tonight into tomorrow. There should be a break, though, today so DS and I can get out and get some groceries. ;-) Before hunkering in for the night until whenever. It's a typical Minnesota weather - drive slow and we shouldn't have any problems.

Cathy - I hoping to check out Yoga X today, too. I hope you migraine gets better soon. I've never had one, but have heard some horror stories from friends that deal with them regularily. Take care!

Well, I'm coming down with a cold x( YUCK! I can just feel it. I'm going to be taking care of myself so it won't last long. I saw a infomercial for HipHop Abs. It looks pretty fun! Anybody else seen it yet?

Take care,
Marcia.

OK - I know I've asked this before, but how many of you drink protein shakes or recovery drinks after your hard workouts or anytime for that matter? And, what are your 'recipes' for some of them. If I get to venture out in the snow and cold I will be stopping to get some whey protein (right, isn't that the kind I should get?) so I'll need ideas on how to make some good shakes.

As you can tell, I've never been 'serious' about my weight training, but now with P90X I want to make sure I do things right, so I am going to give Whey protein shakes a try for recovery and overall fitness gains. I've heard a lot of you talking about them so they must do something. ;-) :)

Thanks, Marcia.

Cathy- how is your head now? Did rest in a dark room help? too bad your massage had to be cancelled

Jes- you have been a great example of how to manage an injury... Have fun with your family guests this weekend.:7

Susan- It can be hard to make good choices at a restaurant. Last night I ordered a seafod combo not realizing it was fried.:eek: x(

Barb- how is your 'new do?' Busy days for you! Did I tell you my 'DD swimmer' has joined a crew team? She figures after all those years of swimming a team sport (one that uses primarily upper body strength) might be fun. Swimming for her (except during high school season) has lost the ~fun~ factor

Well, the Chi Running book is getting more and more interesting. So far what I can gather is that he is not anti leg strengthening, just minimal leg strengthening.

The premis is that energy for running comes from our 'Chi' which is to say with proper posture energy for running comes from the CORE. I have long been an advocate of working abs hard to run better, but he takes it much further, and gets in to the physics about it. The author, Danny Sreyer, has four principles: Focus, Body Sensing, Relaxing and Breathing. He describes these as "essential tools for running"

Dreyer believes that becoming aware of your chi, using the 4 principles, minimizes injury and maximizes running with less energy expended. He uses the Kenyen elite runners as examples of highly successful runners with thin legs and optimal forwared posture. (think like a ski jumper leaning forward from their skis)

It is worth reaqding about further.

Now having said all that, I have legs on tap for this morning. I am not going to change up my format just yet:p :p

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

Good morning lovely cheetahs,

cathy- ouch- i hope your migraine goes away soon. i tend to wake up with bad headaches when i don't get any sleep. the RT sounds very interesting. i just have to wait a bit and see when we are going on our family vacation this summer.

marcia- have fun playing in the snow;) . as for protein drinks, we do have the p90x recovery drink and it's takes great! however it is expensive. i also have a couple of protein powders a vanilla-which i mix with lf yogurt, some berries. or sometimes SF cocoa powder with natural peanut butter, both are yummy!! sometimes i add flaxseed or wheat germ. i also use syntrax nectar protein powder, they have a variety of fruity flavors. extremely great tasting!!

judy-thanks for the info, good stuff.

linda- sounds like you are having a great time with your bootcamps. i had DOMS yesterday in my back and obliques. from the shoulders and back workout.

today's workout will be a run using a CC. i am hoping to get a chance to squeeze it in as it's another busy day for me. I have clients to train today and then me and some of my girlfriends are going out tonight for dinner and a movie!!

have a great saturday ladies:)

Marcia ::: WOW! That’s a lotta snow! Sounds like standard fare for your neck o’ the woods. Folks here would be goin’ ballistic! *lol* Thank you – I think the headache is on its way out. I used to get them more often and they would be debilitating – sometimes putting me out for the whole day. And that’s STILL not as bad as some folks get them…Re: the protein shakes…I don’t drink them after every workout…sometimes I’ll have one for breakfast…but I do use the whey protein (I bought a large tub of the Body Fortress brand at Target for about $11). Each serving has 23 g of protein and 1 g of sugar. I put one scoop of the vanilla protein powder with one cup of light vanilla soy milk, a handful of frozen fruit, and usually two ice cubes. I really like using Dole frozen pineapple and cherries together. At Wendy’s suggestion, I’ve also made a shake with chocolate soy milk and peanut butter – yum!!

Judy ::: thank you ~ yes, being in the dark room helped. I get the blurred vision, so it was best to close the eyes and be able to fall asleep…The Chi Running book does sound interesting…I have read before about the core being critical for running – it happens to be my weakest link…*lol*. Then I cracked up about you going off to do legs. Too funny! I have to say, since going with legs 2x a week like Susan has been doing, I am seeing good results. Slowly but surely this baby’s losin’ her back (and thighs)!

Sunny ::: Would you believe I fell asleep during Seinfeld re-runs last night (we’re talking before 8 pm!!) *lol* But I have been feeling rundown, so maybe it was tiredness that triggered it. It is also TTOM, and my migraines have almost always occurred around that time. Anywho, I’m just glad I don’t get them as often anymore, and if this is as bad as they will be, then I’m lucky!!…As soon as I get my tuchus out of this chair, it’s off to do Yoga X!…Somehow it is hard to imagine Tony as a yogi!!…Hope you have time for your run…have fun tonight with the girls!! Know what you’re planning to see yet?

Morning Folks!

Cathy: Sorry about the migraine. I hope it goes away. Headaches can really ruin my day. ACK! x( Yeah, I am in the same state as you! LOL January was ridiculously warm but I guess after the sub-zero wind chills around here lately it's hard to remember back to that! LOL :p Then lunch it is. COOL!:)

Linda: So I see that you are thinking of doing P90X soon? Which rotation?? }(

Marcia: I drink a protein shake after most of my work outs. I tend to use choclate protein powder, ff milk, banana and natural p/b! YUMMY!:9 It fills me up for an hour or 2 post work out and then I eat a meal after that.

Judy: Have fun working legs!

Sunny: I hope you get your CC work out in. How many clients are you training today?

So my rear end is on *FIRE* from doing Legs and Back y'day! For a work out then NEVER changes during a 12 week span, it is certainly still effective!!! I am in week 7 and still get sore from it!!!}(

Today is a TM run at the gym. I am looking forward to it. Not sure how long I'll go...we'll see what kind of mood I'm in when I get there.:)

This work out will close out week 7 of the X for me and my recovery week starts Monday! Time is really flying by! I think I am going to see if I can squeeze in a run or 2 during recovery this time.}(

Have a great day!

Ooh, geez ~ I had to abort YogaX. Too many downward dogs exacerbated my headache. :( I think the best plan at this point is to take it easy awhile longer (I'm actually going to see another matinee early this afternoon) and will try to work out late afternoon or early evening. If nothing else, a walk on the TM will do.

Wendy ::: *lol* You're right ~ early Jan. *was* warm. I remember running outside one day and it was like 70 degrees!! Today it's blustery again - blehhh! Oh oops! I realize I forgot to mention the banana you put in your shake - DOH! That one really is tasty.

OK, cheetahs - bbl!

Edited to fix a typo

G'morning Cheetahs!! Company just left... they wanted to head on to the IL's since we're supposed to get hit w/ freezing rain soon. I can't say that I blame them! It was a nice, but short visit.

I slept in Hannah's bed so I didn't sleep the greatest. And I woke up to TTOM. Yuck! I got up & decided to do the ankle weights from L & G & then the abs from B & G (the one that starts w/ ankle weights on). I had to do something quiet so I wouldn't wake anyone up! ;-) Still feelin' good from my run y'day. I'm supposed to meet my buddies for a run in the morning, I can't wait to catch up w/ them & get in hopefully 5 miles outside! ;-)

Well, it looks like another weekend of bad weather so we'll be hanging out here! At least the house is clean & I'm caught up on laundry. :eek: Have a great Saturday!

Cathy ~ Sorry about the migraine. I know how you feel being a fellow sufferer. NOT a fun thing. I'm surprised that I didn't get one pre- TTOM, but I won't complain. It'll probably get me sometime this week instead. :eek: Enjoy your matinee, what are you going to see? My best friend & I are planning to see Music & Lyrics on Mon night.

And as for listening to your body, you're right. It's so easy just to push on but then we pay for it later. I should have realized something was wrong w/ how terribly tight my hips were after my 20 mile run & on some longer runs, but didn't even think of it being my IT band. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20...right? :p I think I'm going to like the triathlon, less running & more cross training seems to be working for me!

Good morning cheetahs,

It is a slow day in cheetahland. Usually by now there are at least 20 posts:)

I am up and I am going to do a walk/run today. I tell ya I am kind of nervous about it. I feel that I am ready but I am so afraid that I will hurt myself again. Well, I am going to do it and listen to my body and if I feel even a twinge of pain I am off to the elliptical. I am come too far to blow it now. So, I will try to do about a 55 minute walk/run, walking 2 minutes and running 3. I will let you know how it goes.

I have a pretty fun day planned. We will maybe ride bikes outside and then go to mexican restaurant for lunch and then me and my best girlfriend are going to a movie. We are going to see pursuit of happiness. It is an older one with Will Smith in it. I am excited about it.

CAthy, I hope your migraine gets better and yeah the downward dogs would probably make the headache worst. What movie are you seeing?

Linda, have a great run and I will have to check out Barry's workouts. I did not see him at collage video. Does he have a website?

Marcia, I hope you feel better and this does not turn into a full blow cold. We Californians are defintley spoiled with our weather. We get upset when it rains(LOL)!

Barb, sounds like an interesting book. My doctor always tells me that the best combination of exercises is running and yoga and that is it. I totally agree with the concept of trying to relax when running and the whole breathing thing. It is easy to hunch your shoulders and to put too much into it. I will have to check the book out, since I am going to start running again. How is your hip? Is this an injury that requires attention from a doctor or just one that needs rest?

Sunnydelite, sounds like is a movie day for cheetahs. Which one are you seeing? I wanted to see dream girls but it is no longer playing in our area. Enjoy your run!

Wendy, have a great run and love your new picture of Joey. They are so cute at that age when they just pass out. Enjoy this age, because they grow up way too fast:)

Jess, have fun with your outdoor run! I did the ankle weight portion of legs and glutes yesterday and it is a good one!

Well ladies, that is it for me. I am off to have breakfast and then my workout. Wish me luck on the treadmill.

Susan

I love protein shakes. My girls love them now too, they're *healthy milkshakes*. ;-) I like the light soymilk (vanilla or chocolate), half a banana, a couple strawberries, and I have a mochaccino protein powder that is yummers!! I also will sometimes add a Tbsp. of ground flax seed or wheat germ. (my kids don't notice that I'm adding in more healthy stuff! ;-) ) Then I add a few ice cubes just to give it more of a *frosty* taste. I have an old blender that works just fine, although I keep seeing that Magic Bullet infomercial.. ;-) The protein shakes are great for me, it's just what my body seems to need after a hard workout & then I can eat a healthy meal a couple hrs later.

Stay warm! No snow here, we're supposed to get the freezing rain/ sleet soon!

Susan ~ Another lunch date??? ;-) Mexican... YUMMY!! Enjoy some for me, ok?? You will love Pursuit of Happyness, my best friend & I went to see it when it first came out. Bring some kleenex!! I love Will Smith anyway.

Good luck w/ the walk/run. You're smart at listening to your body, as my post last night said!! It's tough to know how far to push & when to back off... that's the tricky part. There's a fine line there somewhere.... Let us know how it went!

I'm jealous of your weather. My girls are dying to get outside to play. We'll have a craft/ fun day here. They've already played w/ their Lil' Pet shops, did some foam sticker crafts, and played a couple games. I'm ready for spring!!

Have a good day!

Well, I tried YogaX, but I don't have a mat so my feet were slipping everywhere. I decided to stop after 20 minutes of spending my time trying to hold my feet still and not in a 'yoga zone', not worth it. I am adding it to my list to get, though, I liked the yoga it was the slipping feet that was too annoying.

Sooooo, now what to do for a workout??? I think I will get out a Cardio Coach and do that on the elliptical for a change.

The storm is hitting us pretty good. We got 8 inches of snow and now freezing rain, that is suppose to change over to snow another 8-12 inches by morning. I already got a call from church that there is no church or Sunday School tomorrow, so we can sleep in now, I guess.

Have a great afternoon, I'm off to do Cardio Coach and then I'll be back.

Marcia.

Hi again everyone!

Cathy - I sure hope your head gets better! Enjoy the movie and take it easy!

Sunny - I am really loving Barry's! Thanks to you! I can't thank you enough for "enabling" me! ;-) I really do mean that! Have fun with CC and the movie and dinner!

Wendy - I am thinking of doing this rotation for a couple of more weeks, then taking a recovery week and starting kind of a modified classic rotation, but using running in place of their cardio. But on the days that they do the strenth work, I was going to add 30 minutes of cardio (running...or whatever) At least that is what I am contemplating:+ I tend to change my mine a lot! Wow!!! It is hard to believe it has been 7 weeks since you started P90X!

Marcia - Enjoy your day! I love snow! I hope your cold doesn't catch ahold of you!

Susan - His website is www.barrysbootcamp.com. I ordered mine from Home Shopping Network. They came sooo fast! I was impressed! Good luck with your walk/run! I sure hope you don't have any pain! I am sending you good vibes....ok? Did ya get them? :)

Jess - That recovery drink sounds good! I don't drink them, but your recipe sounds yummy! I may have to try it!

Judy - I have started to buy that book several times and I always put it back on the shelf. I think I will go ahead and get it. Sounds really interesting!

I ended up running outside. I drove to my destination and realized that I had left my Garmin on the back porch to get a signal x( I had not used it since we got back from Burmuda, so I knew it would talk a little bit of time. Anyway...I was mad at myself. I ended up just making a goal of running for an hour. So..I am not sure how far I went. It felt great though! Just cold enough without being "too" cold!

Okay...gotta go get dressed. My youngest daughter and I are going shopping then meeting our DHs for dinner!

Linda

Cathy - you'd be amazed at how many snow mobilers pull up to the bar. We have a back room and they pile all their helmets, gear, etc. back there and stay for lunch or a few beers, pop, whatever and head off to the next bar. It's crazy, but wow with snow like this it's great for our business.

Marcia.

Hello ladies,
I am done with my walk/run. It was not a great run, but it was okay. There is still some hamstring discomfort, but not pain. I ended up running for 2 miles straight and then walk a mile and then did the elliptical for 3 miles. Overall it was a good workout. I am not bummed about the hamstring discomfort, I am just aware that my body is not 100%. I am going to stop focusing on running being the goal right now, but continuing to do my CAthe tapes and feeling 100% with them and then incorporating the running back in. Does that make sense? I am rambling, sorry.

Well, I am off to go bike riding with my little ones and hopefully Mariah will be boo boo free today.

TTYL,

Susan

That makes perfect sense, Susan. That's kind of what I did- took my focus off the running & focused on what I *could* do. You're doing great!!

Have fun biking. We'll be thinking of you as we're watching the grey skies & freezing rain. :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.