::: CHEETAHS ::: Is it Monday already? 9/25

Hey guys! Just have time to pop in here and give Jess a HUGE congratulations on finishing her marathon! Wondering if you think you'll try another..... GREAT JOB!!!! :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D

(that's 26 smiley faces for you!)

Holy crap! Sorry, I've been sort of out of it and out of the loop lately! I missed two other awesome races this weekend! Wendy, you look so great in your race pictures, as if you were having a great time! Congratulations on your first of many 5Ks. Here's your smileys :) :D :) :D :)

And Karen, Congratulations to you are also in order! Great, great job on the 4 miler. Here's yours :) :D :) :D

One more post! I just wanted to tell you all that I've not been around much lately because I'm having a bit of a hard time right now. My training is on track and I'm ready to run my marathon in a little less than two weeks from now. But, I don't know if you guys know, my brother has cancer and he's not doing well at all. It's been difficult as the weeks of my training are coming to an end. Last year I ran St. George and my brother went on a motorcycle trip with a bunch of his buddies. They were all at the finish line and joined us at our friends house for a BBQ. My brother had been diagnosed about 6 months previous to that but was not so sick yet and at that point I thought that there was still a lot of hope for his future. My DH and I decided the day of last year's marathon that we would put our names in for the St. George lottery this year since our friend who lives there was unable to run the marathon due to a stress fracture. My brother indicated at the time that he'd be there for sure this year. But there's just no way....... I cannot even express how sad I am and running this marathon this year has so many emotions surrounding it. I'm looking forward to it and know that I have trained my body well, but I'm struggling with this complete and utter sadness. So anyway, that's sort of why I haven't been around much. I just feel sort of preoccupied and have a hard time concentrating. I check in every so often though and have been wishing you all well and have been there in spirit in your recent runs. I'll be sure to pop in again before we leave for St. George so you all will have the opportunity to wish me luck!!! LOL!!!

Resting Cheetah is reporting back! I've been taking it WAY easy today & took a good hour & 45 min nap this afternoon! My knee is still very tender & I'm hobbling up & down the stairs. I made an appt for a deep tissue/ sports massage tomorrow (Erin & Melissa were both going today). So I hope that helps some otherwise I'll be going to my Dr. to see what's going on. I hope it isn't anything major & not a recurring injury now!!!! I've tried stretching, icing, and Advil but I can't seem to make it feel much better yet.

Greg's grilling out steaks for dinner tonight w/ baked sweet potatoes & I'm not sure what other sides yet, it sounded so good to me! And I'm again relaxing & taking it easy.

Thanks for your sweet comments about my marathon & pics. They are posting some of the official race pics so I'll share them when they're up!!

Off to ice/ rest some more!

Oh, I'm so sorry!!! That is so sad about your brother. I know how you feel a bit as my Grandma is in the same situation, I don't think she'll be around more than a couple weeks the way that she's going downhill now. I thought of her often during my marathon, we went to visit her on the day before the marathon.

I think the training & race was very theraputic in some ways, it helps keep your mind focused on other things than the sadness that you feel. And you can always dedicate your race to your brother also.

Please pop in & I can't wait to hear about St. George!!! What is your goal time??? You can do it!

Wendy ::: good girl, taking that rest day! I had a feeling it was gonna be hard for you! That SUCKS about the race results not being posted. Will they at least send you a postcard in the mail with your finish information? Re: the 5 miler…I think you absolutely could do it…go slow, treat it like a training run, and walk if you need to, and it'll be safe.

Carole ::: hope you thoroughly enjoyed your massage!!

Jess ::: the pics looks great! Seriously! You look like you’re not even breaking a sweat!

Karen ::: congrats on finishing 1st in your age group – great time!! It’s funny that you say that about the pressure of the check-in helping you get across the finish line. Knowing I’ll have to report in here has definitely helped me stay motivated on some days when I’ve been tempted to blow things off.

Linda ::: welcome to the check-in! There ARE no embarrassing times here – we’re all considered cheetahs!! :)

Christine ::: I hear you on cleaning up the diet…So much for the decreased appetite I mentioned yesterday. I just scarfed three brownies. Oops! Whoa—the 10 miles is a wee bit close, huh?? And yikes...sorry to hear about the band accident!! I knew those things were evil! :)

Susan ::: I think I’m gonna go for ME this time. But first, I’m going to tackle some schoolwork and relax. I understand feeling nervous about your first massage – I think it’s normal to feel slightly awkward -- but it is SO worth it! Once you go, you will be hooked. Enjoy your rest day and don’t allow the guilt to creep in. You’ve been working hard and have earned it! :)

Judy ::: Not that I’m trying to sway your opinion, but you can definitely run a race without having a specific training plan or getting hung up about splits and times, etc. A lot of people just run for the fun of it – for the social atmosphere and to support good causes.

Elaine ::: wow. What is there to be said that could possibly be adequate at a time like this? I’m really sorry about your brother and the difficult time your family is going through. I can certainly see why you’re running with such a heavy heart and haven’t been able to be around much. For whatever it’s worth, I hope it’s in some small way helpful to know that the cheetahs have your back! Wishing you the physical, emotional, and mental strength to get through this!!

Hi to everyone else...I will be back to report on my workout.

Ciao!
Cathy :)

Karen...great time on trails for 4 miles!!! 1st in your age group is awesome. Sorry about the knee...

Linda...Welcome! We are in the same age group! I am not fast either but it is fun to place now and then! I go by this phrase for myself "The older I get, the faster I used to be!"...How many days a week do you run?

Christine...sorry about the fires! I know all about the smoke as we have had our share of smoke from Weaverville. YUK!!! The massage was wonderful....still have those tight calfs!! Sometimes when you have an injury of sorts, you compensate by running a bit different, most likely that is why your hips were a bit sore. They should be better soon! I have that Taebo workout. It IS kinda chaotic compared to Cathe. YEOW, I bet that band hurt!! I have another of Billy's that uses bands too, and I snapped one on my thigh once...geeze it was a red welt!!

Wendy...I think you can do the 5 miler. Especially with someone, as that helps time go by! That is kind of bizarre abour your 5K results? I figured they alway kept track of everyone...that is cr@ppy!! Good job with HSTA! The massage was great...everyone should get one!!

Susan...my first massage was by a good friend. That was a bit weird at first! But now I found a girl that is wonderful. I love her deep tissue massages. Go fo it..:)...and don't feel guilty, enjoy your rest day!...

Elaine...love all your mileage smileys!! How is the taper going??

Well as I said above the massage was wonderful! Just what I needed. So now off to do 40 min on my Elliptical and I think S&H Chest & Back instead of GS...

Elaine...I am so sorry about your brother...training is so tough with those kinds of emotions. I bet though, your brother would want you to do well...sending prayers and hugs your way...http://www.digitalmediatree.com/library/image/12/hug.gif[/img]

Cathy...the massage was great!! Have you tired the Motion based website for your Garmin? www.motionbased.com it is cool (once I figured it out, kinda)..:)...it even show the temps during you run...have a good workout...:)

Elaine - I'm sooo sorry to hear about your brother. {{{{HUGS}}}} Cancer is a horrible disease, and it's so tough to watch our loved ones go through it. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Hi Cheetahs--I didn't have time to check in today, but will tomorrow, but wanted to say:

Elaine--I am so sorry to hear about your brother's decline. I agree with Christine that cancer is a horrible disease and it's so painful to watch the ones we love gradually stop being who they are. My thoughts are with you, prayers heading West your way -- and I agree with what others have said, that your brother would want you to give it your all (as we all know you will!!) I hope you are eating chocolate as needed (I know that seems to come out of nowhere, but it makes sense to me??!!)

Jess- great job yesterday! WTG Cheetah marathoner!! So sorry about your knee, though, I hope in a few days it will be back to normal &/or it will just be an ITB thing you will need to continue to stretch & work at....

More tomorrow....
Barb
:) :) :)

Elaine,
I am so sorry about your brother. I can't even imagine watching a loved one go through so much pain and suffering. Please know I am thinking of you. keep us posted as how you are doing and your brother. I am glad that you are ready for the marathon. What a great thing to do for your brother and yourself.

Wendy, GO FOR IT!!!! I know you can do it! Just do it!!!

Jess, Sorry to hear you are still hobbling. Good luck tomorrow with your massage.

Susan

Just popping back in to say I knocked out ME. (Or maybe I should say it knocked ME out.) Feelin' good...now it's off to shower and then back to work!!

Cathy :)

It has been a while since I have checked in because my home computer was down but here are the results of..............................

My 1/2 Marathon

Morning of the race:
I was tired as I had not slept well and was feeling kind of down. I had really wanted to be under 130 pounds for this race. My ideal race weight is 122. I have been getting real close to breaking the 130 point. This morning I stepped on the scale and I weighed 129.5 I was so happy I started to happy tears and got the boost of energy that I needed.

The line for the bathrooms was huge and I feared that we were not going to make the start. I saw another bathroom in the park and noticed no line for the mens batroom. We went in and announced that we were desperate and used the men's bathroom.

We then ran to the start and got to the start 2 minutes before the race began.

I took my shirt off between miles 2-3 (it had been cool enough for long sleves). At mile three I noticed my watch said 25:15. I could not believe we had done the first three miles that fast. Well, we didn't somehow my watch stopped when I took off my shirt. Miles 3-6.5 were great and I saw my family around mile 4.

Miles 6.5-11.5 were brutal as the south wind was freezing. I saw my family again at mile 8 (I should have asked for my shirt back). I stopped and gave my husband a kiss.

I thought I was going to get sick at mile 11.5 (bad goo?) and really had to slow down. The slowness was making my running partners knee hurt so I told her to leave me.

At mile 12 I was feeling mentally fatigued but prayed and told myself how hard I had worked.

Close to the finish line my partner (who crossed at 2:18:00) joined me, as did my two sons.

I crossed the finish line at 2:22:00. All finishers got a medal. My bib looks like it went through a war. The girl that crossed before me threw up. I was a little wobbly but fine. My abs are killing me as this was one heck of an ab workout. All in all I am pleased with my time. I have to consider the cold wind, and the fact that I had an elevated heart rate at the beginning of the race (due to the bathroom thing). Without the wind I think I could have stayed with my partner. Her daughter ran 1:52:00.

Now I am really tired I almost feel like I have the flu. I am not going to workout all week but will be running the Race For The Cure next Saturday. I will try and get some pictures up when I get a chance.

I think I could race this distance again, but would want to be in better shape if I ever run a full Marathon.

Fitkansaschick: Congrats girl! Sounds like you had some rough spots but you toughed it out and crossed the finish line in a very respectable time! ^5!!! :+ :+ :+

Hey there ladies. I got a phone call at 4pm that they needed coverage at the gym from 5pm-8pm. YIKES, I couldn't tell 'em no to make run with my friend since I knew full well I could use the TM after work anyway so I rushed around like a crazy person to get DS and myself out of the house in 30 minutes. I arranged for DH to pick up DS on his way home from school (DH goes to school for his union every other monday) so Joey was only w/me for a matter of minutes.

After work I had to literally FORCE myself to work out. I got on the TM and ran @ 5.6 for 5 mins, 6.1 for 5 mins., 6.3 for 5 mins, 6.5 for 4 mins, 6.7 for 1 min....or something close! LOL Anywho, it turned out to be 2 miles in 20 minutes which is great for me.

I was getting ready to leave the gym when I realized I had DH's car (he took mine when he picked up DS cause it's the one w/the carseat!)but I did not have his car key with me! = 0 I was going to do the cab thing but DH decided to get DS out of bed (he went down at 7:30ish and I called DH at almost 9pm!!!) and come to the gym w/the key. DH is sweet and we are blessed with a VERY easy going child so it worked out okay! PHEW!

So as you can see the end of my day went ANYTHING but the way it was planned!:p It's days like this that I thank goodness for my work outs cause they keep me sane I tell ya! }( LOL

Hope everyone has a good night and see you all in the morning!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.