::: CHEETAHS ::: Happy Friday, 9/29

Yeah ~ I got PUB done!! It felt great to do it again, it's been almost 3 weeks, I think?? I even did the bicep curls w/ 15 lbs w/out too much struggle, I was worried I wouldn't be able to do them again!! ;-) I'm sure that I'll have some DOMS tomorrow, but I won't mind! :)

Greg is picking up Allison from preschool so I still have the house to myself for a little bit!! :p I'll do pilates this afternoon whiel I watch Grey's Anatomy (taped it last night, too many other good shows on at once!).

Have a great rest of your Friday!

Jess-great job on the workout. enjoy some me-time at home alone! sounds great.

Wendy-- Sorry I forget you before!! Go for the 5 mile run and if you need to walk so be it. I think you should go for it.

Christine--thanks for the iClimb & iTread advice, I will let you know what I get!

Jennifer- glad you are feeling better. I get bored on a TM, too and almost feel claustrophobic. I much prefer the outdoors. You've got a lot of halves coming up. Good luck. Make sure to stretch, you are working very hard...

-Barb
:)

Hello cheetahs!

It is a bustling place here today. It is nice to see all of this energy. I only have a few minutes right now because my hubby is waiting patiently do go on our 6.5 mile run. I did Imax Xtreme yesterday and it was GREAT!!!! I am really enjoying getting back into my step workouts and not obsessing about the running as much. My body feels a lot better too.

Elaine, I am so sorry for your brother and your father in law. You are going through such a hard time. I am glad that you have the running to focus on and bring you joy. Thanks for checking in. Also, good luck on your runs this week. I can't beleive how close your marathon is.

Cathy, WOW!!!! Those are some crazy running stories. We have mountain lions in our area and I am always looking for them. We have actually had some in a local school area sitting in trees. Pretty scary! I am a total wimp though. I see a snake and I go nuts!! I am feeling much better today, no more crankiness.

Wendy, have a great run. I would probably walk with my friend. That is the dilemna you have when you run with someone. I am lucky that my hubby and I are pretty well matched that way. Go for the 4 miles!

laurie, have fun with PUB and I HATE making lunches in the morning. I have to make 3 and 3 snacks, UGH!!!

Jess, good for you for giving that knee a rest. I am impressed that you did not have any smores. I love smores. Enjoy PUB!

Linda, GREAT workout! I am glad your headache is gone.

Carole, Enjoy your 5 miler and thanks for your input about Slow and Heavy. I think I will try alternating it with GS.

Karen, GO for the 5k. We will be rooting for you.

Christine, I am not sure about the tapering. I know one of the more experienced cheetahs will chime in. WILD PIGS!!!! OMG!

Jennifer, Do you feel ready for you half? I am so impressed you have 2 races coming up. I actually like the treadmill. I listen to my favorite toons. I find running outdoors more relaxing becuase I don't focus on speed so much.

Barb, thanks for the compliment. I tend to get a little obsessed with the workouts so I am constantly evaluating what I am doing and how much. I LOVE Sushi!!!!! How lucky you have a friend that makes it.

Well, my hubby is nice pacing and waiting impatiently. I told him I have to check-in with my cheetahs. Have a great day ladies and great workouts!!! Hello to all that follow.

Susan

Hey ladies. I'm takin' some down time after workin' this morning.

Laurie, WOW, I can't believe your half is TOMORROW! I'm going to be in PA at a Cath GTG!!! I'll have to have Kali log on later in the day to see how it went!!!!!:+ :+ :+ I know you will do FABULOUS! I'm sooo excited for you!!!!

Jess, You and your family can make a fun time out of just about anything ey? That is so awesome! :) Sorry about the migraine. I rarely get them but I know how awful they are. I am garunteed one if I don't get my morning java though---dreaded caffeine withdrawal..YIKES!x(

Linda, I am doing a 5 mile race on Sunday Oct 8. I think I will do it even if my friend backs out for some reason. I am super-psyched! Sorry to hear about your headache. What a bummer!

Carole, Nope, no barbell. It's the one thing I have been able to resist buying so no enabling please! LOL :7 :7 :7 Actually my mom might have an old one of my step-dad's. I will look one day and if she does, I can take that one. Speaking of shouleders..I think I am going to skip my lil' weight work out today. No biggie. I have lots of stuff to do before leaving tomorrow for the GTG. My shoulders and back will survive. ;)

Karen, We will be running together AGAIN! I'm doing a 5 miler on the 8th! How cool is that!!!!:7

Christine, I only ran 5 miles once and that was on a TM so I don't KNOW that I can do this. LOL I told her that we need to slow down our pace. I will be wearing my Garmin so I will monitor the pace and she will have to hang back with me or run alone. This way we will both have a better shot at running the whole thing. :)
Are you getting excited for your half? Do you have a PR that you want to try to beat??

Elaine, Gosh I feel bad for what you are going through right now. I don't know what else to say. I'm not real good at this stuff. My thoughts are with you and your family though. :-(
Yes, it's a 5 miler on the 8th that I am running. I'm excited!
Good luck with your marathon!!!!:+ :+ :+

Jennifer, 2 HM's in 2 weeks!? GO YOU! :+

Barb, I will be HAPPY to enable you! Iclimb is great! You can even use it for a TM run if you use one at all! I love my Itrain work outs! I say GO FOR IT!}( Heck, they are so inexpensive...what have you got to lose!?

Susan, Hope you and DH have a fun run today!

Wendy-- I think you can definitely run 5 miles outside. Think positive "I'm a running machine..." the Sarah/Super Carole method. It really works! Go for it! Thanks for the iClimb enable. I ordered two: set 8 and 9 40 minute programs. I'll try one of them out tonight.

:) Barb

Hello again cheetahs!

I had a great run today with my hubby. We did 6.5 miles and it felt so good. I am really starting to look forward to these runs. Now that I skip a day between runs I feel so much better and feel a lot more rested.

Wendy, I just betcha after your 5 miler on the 8th you will be signing up for a 10k, WOO HOO!!!! Have a good run tonight:)

Susan

I ended up running the 4 miles that my rotation said I should run. I figured I'm as ready as I'm going to get, and a long run today would not help and may hurt. I did Windsor Advanced Body Slimming Pilates (I feel it more than I thought I would), and I'm about to try to lift some lighter weights. We'll see how I do.

Good for you, Christine!! As for the run before the half, I did 16 miles the weekend before my half, but only because I was marathon training & it had to be done!

I love Advanced body slimming, such a great but quick workout!! I did WP ab sculpting this afternoon & will do buns/ thighs later.

I'm excited as you get ready for your half! Do you have a time goal??

That's so great, Susan! I can't wait til Greg & I can do more biking together (he doesn't run, but loves to bike!). Skipping a day between runs is a good idea & will help prevent injuries.

Have a good one!

Wendy ~ I have the barbell that used to be my brother's from high school. I don't have a step though, so I use my stability ball as a bench. One of these days.....

You'll find it won't be as hard as you think to run 5 miles. Really, once you can run 3 miles 5 isn't that much further. It is a good idea to slow the pace though, good thing you have your Garmin! ;-)

Yes, we find cheap ways to entertain ourselves around here. I said last night that the neighbors must have gotten a kick out of us. Greg w/ his chain saw & the kids picking up sticks to making a house out of the big limbs!! :p It's looking much better back there though, that was a HUGE tree that fell down.

Enjoy your down time! That's what I'm doing too!

Woohoo, taper time for Elaine!! I hope you don't have too much taper madness!! I really missed my Cathe while I cut back the weights!! It sounds like you're doing the same scheduld that I did for my taper- 4, 3, and then 2. I'm sorry again about your brother & your FIL too!!

I agree w/ the advice on the Garmin also. You can get a 201 for close to $100 (http://www.walmart.com had them for $115) & it has a rechargeable battery.

Keep us posted, Elaine! I need to live vicariously through you now!

Barb ~ Good to see you posting! I agree- these Cheetahs are awesome! I love the weather now too, it was in the low 40's this morning but it felt great!

It sounds like you're getting in plenty of exercise- WTG!!

Migraines are no fun. I can usually control mine too, I stay away from a lot of processed things, especially MSG. Sometimes it's just a hormone thing for me. Maybe it's my lack of running??? :p I do agree that eating smaller meals throughout the day to help control blood sugar helps a lot!

Wendy ::: yes, I still do run…lol. Mostly, I just get beeps from guys…but occasionally something creepy does happen…I didn’t know the guys in the minivan…that WAS a little freaky, but I think they were drinkin’ and just goofin’ off. I run with pepper spray and try to be alert of my surroundings. I think I prefer more traffic rather than deserted roads, to tell you the truth…I feel safer that way. Re: running w/ your friend…my opinion – which is not based on any training theory – is that you should keep running even if she needs to walk, unless she has a hang-up and wants you to stick w/ her. I don’t think it really helps you (or whoever the faster partner is) if you stop for walking breaks when you don’t feel the need.

Laurie ::: cracked up at your story of the boys who think you’re #1. Hope you have a chance to relax! I would not recommend the 201, which I have. If I could do it over again, I’d go for the 301 or 305. After a lot of troubleshooting with tech support, they could not fix the problem the Garmin was having with my computer. Although I should be able to upload my training info to my PC, the shoddy cable connection won’t allow my PC to “see” the Garmin. The Garmin folks themselves more or less said the lower-end models are not worth it.

Jess ::: sorry about your migraine. I think I remember you telling the story about the van.

Linda ::: When you do the Gatorade, take Excedrin or your scrip meds – whatever you would normally take. The key is to drink it at the onset of symptoms. Sounds like you had a fairly quick recovery & a great workout!

Carole ::: entertaining stories! Wow, you’re brave. I have to admit, I sprayed myself with the pepper once, too…I sprayed it just to test and see if it still worked, and – same thing – the wind picked it up and blew it right in my face. So I found out, yep, it works.

Karen ::: I teach 8th grade language arts and I am currently working toward a Master’s degree in Curriculum & Instruction. Glad to hear your knee is feeling better! Don’t worry—you’ll get lots of cheetah support here for your 10/8 5K!!

Christine ::: I would probably DIE if I saw a coyote, bobcat, or wild pig on a run! I think I’d have to run with a gun. The trekking class sounds scary…lol!

Elaine ::: what a tough situation you are in. So sorry about your brother and FIL. (((HUGS))) and support are coming your way.

Barb ::: I can’t make an iTrain recommendation bc I don’t have any of those, but hope you have a great workout! I’m afraid of dogs, too. Except for the Doberman encounter that one time, I’ve been pretty lucky. I wonder if the pepper spray would really deter one of the big breeds.

Susan ::: a mountain lion in a tree?? In a school area? Yikes! Gives me a new appreciation for Jersey’s clogged suburban roads and strip malls, heh heh. :)

OK, I've relaxed some...now I'm off to pound the pavement!

-cathy :)

Barb: I learned the hard way this week that I definitely need to stretch more! I'm notoriously bad at that :(. I read somewhere that stretching is like the "flossing" of fitness--everyone knows they're supposed to do it, but they don't LOL. I do floss, but I confess, I don't stretch enough.

My solution was to put Stretch Max on my wish list ;).

Wendy: I'm starting to wonder whether I did a very stupid thing by signing up to run two of these things within two weeks of each other! But I am thinking of the SJ Half as my "practice" run, to get to experiment with tweaks to my electrolyte and food intake, as well as my run/walk intervals. If I really feel as though my run for Nike Half will suffer because I'm pushing myself, I'm going to switch to walking the rest of the way. No need to jeopardize the Nike Half! I want that dri weave shirt they're giving away *hee*.

Jennifer

I bought my garmin at walmart.com also. I bought the 301 for 150.00. I love it and dont regret buying it.

went to the obgyn today ,got a breast exam and he said there has been increased dimensions in my breast. He doesnt think its anything to worry about but I am getting a mammagram and he says he thinks its my fibrous cysts that I have just becoming inflammed from the resistive training I have been doing. anyway, they will call and schedule it sometime next week.

I have had some stuff happen during my runs also on the streets. guys whistling or yelling,dog attempting to go at me, cars almost running into me,definately have to keep your eyes open.

talk with everyone later!@!

Jess - I'm hoping to finish... If I do it in under the time limit, I figure I'm a step ahead. Seriously, though, I'm not fast at all. That I can even consider such a distance is a miracle, and I'll be happy if I can finish and say I've run the whole thing. I really admire those of you who can run fast.

Cathy - the wild pigs I was very careful of as they can be vicious and they run in packs. Bobcats and coyotes are usually pretty shy, but I did make sure they knew I saw them.

I do have a funny Javelina story - if you want to hear it (if not, don't read... :p) I was out walking the Continental Divide trail in Silver City, New Mexico with a friend of mine, Mike (before I met DH) back in the late 90's. I had crashed my mountain bike into a ravine and my left knee was the size of a small watermelon, so we were going slow. (haven't changed much have I?) We got to a point about a mile in on the trail where Mike wanted to watch the sun set (oh, yeah, we had flashlights with us). We had been there for about 15 minutes and Mike had just managed to convince me to sit (getting up was a bit of a challenge with my knee). Suddenly we heard a loud grunting noise and a rushing sound! Javelinas are all over the woods there, and they have been known to attack, so we were frightened. I figured out that it is indeed possible to rise to my feet using my butt muscles alone, and we stood together eyeing a lone pine tree that was rather scraggly, sizing each other up (everyone for his or herself in war and javelina territory) when around the bend of the trail came a mountain biker belching merrily away. I about died with relief. We did not stay for the sunset, though...

Christine, Thanks for the story. I love the butt muscle part and the everyone for themself part. It made me smile. Take care.

No time for personals ladies. Just wanted to report back on my run before I am off for the weekend!

Well, it didn't go as planned in that the road I use to get to the park was closed. I called my friend and we decided to cancel. She would run what she could on her own because she had to leave w/in 30 mins to p/u her son. I was already running late and then with the closed road I was REALLY late! So anywho...we hung up the phone after rescheduling for monday and I was about to head home and wouldn't ya know it-the road was now open! So I hurried on in the park and was able to run the first 15 minutes w/her before she had to leave. She left and I kept going...

I did 4 miles in 45.27 mins! I shaved about 3 mins off my time from my last/first outdoor 4 miler! I was even taking it slow most of the time just incase I decided to go for 5 miles and I STILL managed to beat my last time!:+ :+ :+

I wanted to stay on and do 5 but it was getting late, the park was virtually empty and the sun was starting to go down. I decided better safe than sorry and called it quits.

So I probably won't get in 5 miles before this race but I am confident that I can do it. I just have to take it slow like I did today. :) Would it be a bad thing to try to do 5 miles on Monday??? I'm thinking I'm better off not...Thoughts?

Have a great weekend ladies!:7

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's input on the Garmin. I think I'll hold off and get a newer model when the money tree is blooming again. My car's getting an expensive body job this weekend so the money tree is getting a major pruning:+

Great runs, workouts and stories today!!

Take Care
Laurie:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.