cervical biopsy

Kimenem

Cathlete
So I've never missed a pap since 19 (almost 40). Never had anything come back as abnormal. My most recent was in October where I bled significantly just from the test. I think it even took the dr by surprise. Anyway, they had to redo the test and he was much more careful inserting the speculum so no bleeding this time :D He said I had some cervical erosion and said my cervic was friable. Even said that he'd made note of it back in 2007. I've had bleeding after sex once but haven't wanted to do it again since so I don't know how often that would've happened. So about this time he was movinghis practice and I had to find a new dr. To make a long story short, she gave me some antibiotics, checked for some STDs, and I guess the area was still there afterward so she said to be thorough, she wanted to do a coloscopy (sp) and biopsy. I'm scared because it's happening in about 4 hours and of course I'mthinking cancer.

I've been onthe pill since 19 and read that this alone can cause a friable cervix. Hopefully that's all it is and my paps haven't all been false negatives. Thoughts?

I'm sorry, I don't have any thoughts, but I'd like to offer you some encouragement & warm thoughts! I'd say try not to worry until you have the facts, but, well, ha! I had cervical dysplasia over 20 years ago, with no recurrence. I was scared to death! Hugs, & please keep us posted!

Hi there,
I just want to offer you support, encouragement and positive thoughts. I had a biopsy done about 2 months ago (routine gynecological check for cancerous cells). When my gyno told me he was doing this, I asked if it would hurt or be uncomfortable. He is actually pretty awesome, he told me the truth and never sugar coated it. These were his words "yes, it might hurt. You can have a few shots of alcohol, but make sure you're not driving". Anyway, to my surprise a few weeks later while I was getting it done, it felt like a slight pinch. Nothing extremely painful. I too, like yourself, was very worried waiting for my test results. Try to stay positive. AND don't read the internet!!! EVIL, EVIL!!!
My results came back negative :)

Happy thoughts and prayers are with you :)

Natasha

I had one done last year too and it freaked me out as well. It didn't hurt much at all and was a very quick procedure. The numbers are on your side -- just remember that. I can't remember the exact number but I think it's a 75% chance or higher that it's NOT cancer. The important thing is to not stress and to work on staying healthly because more than likely it's a virus or an infection and your body needs a good immune system in order to clear up these issues.

My results were also negative and the follow up 6 months later was back to normal which was a huge relief. Hang in there!

Kim---I have been though that. Do not worry. I too, have had the bleeding with intercourse, I have had biopsy after biopsy, surgeries on my cervix, and everything has always come back negative. (I have stuggled with my girl parts since I was 16 yrs old)

Also, Being that you took B/C for so long, that actually decreases your chances of ovarian ca. So that is a plus. And, don't read the internet, it is evil!

Everyone handles pain different, but I only felt a pinch. With some cramping. I am sure you will be fine!

I will keep you in my prayers! Good Luck! :)

You're having a colposcopy done. They are no big deal! Don't worry! Lots of other things besides cancer can cause abnormal Paps (per my friend who is an oncologist).

A few years ago I had a severe dysplasia when my Pap came back. They couldn't visually see it, but over the next several months my Paps came back with the same dysplasia. HPV was always negative, and visually my cervix was normal. The dr was of course concerned about cancer so she did a colposcopy which came back normal. WEIRD! Anyway, over the next few years I continued to have abnormal Paps with no other symptoms. I was finally diagnosed with lichen sclerosis, an auto immune disease, which was identified as the culprit.

So sorry you're having issues! Hope you figure them out!

Last edited:
Ok well it's over. Other than some cramping, and the feelings that everything in the room was being placed into my vagina, it was easy :eek:

The thing is, I"ve never had an abnormal pap. When she looked under the microscpe, she said it didn't look like cancer or HPV but that she would test me for HPV in a couple of weeks to be sure. She said she expected the area to turn white becaue of the erosion, where basically the blood vessels on the inside of the cervix are on the outer edge. She took a few sample I think and I should know something within a week. Fingers crossed!

I'm pushing for a hystercetomy but she said they could also do a LEEP procedure to cut away that area of the cervix.

Ok well it's over. Other than some cramping, and the feelings that everything in the room was being placed into my vagina, it was easy :eek:

The thing is, I"ve never had an abnormal pap. When she looked under the microscpe, she said it didn't look like cancer or HPV but that she would test me for HPV in a couple of weeks to be sure. She said she expected the area to turn white becaue of the erosion, where basically the blood vessels on the inside of the cervix are on the outer edge. She took a few sample I think and I should know something within a week. Fingers crossed!

I'm pushing for a hystercetomy but she said they could also do a LEEP procedure to cut away that area of the cervix.

Yes, the speculum they use for that procedure is the size of the jaws of life. Holy crap. It's a vagina, not a twisted mass of train wreckage. Sheesh! Don't forget to grab my tonsils while you're up there! :eek:

I hope you get your hysterectomy. I want one so badly. I TOTALLY get it!

I had the LEEP procedure done in Fall 2010

I had the LEEP procedure done in Fall 2010...after a Pap came back abnormal, and a biopsy revealed "moderate to severe displasia". It's not too bad. Yucky, but it could be much worse.

Rest assured that this is much more common that you would imagine. You will make it though it just fine. And I'm not sure of your history, and I'm not a doctor, but a hysterectomy should be your last option, not your first. There are many other options out there now. In fact, I'm now getting ready to have "NovaSure" done in May, to resolve my irregular bleeding (suddenly in my mid-30s, even on the pill). I'm very excited about the probability of little to no periods after healing!!! :D

Anyway, the LEEP was done as an in-office procedure. They numb your cervix...yes, with a needle... so honestly, I think that was the worst part. After that there is no pain, but you can feel a pulling sensation when they do the actual LEEP procedure. It's gross feeling, but quick. And my doctor rocks! He even gave me a 5-4-3-2-1 countdown as he was cauterizing at the end. I told him that helped significantly, since it reminded me of a workout! haha! He said that he's found that helps, especially with patients who are into fitness. LOL! Later in the day, I did have significant cramping, but max doses of Motrin (recommended by the doc) helped significantly.

After the LEEP, they will do several repeat Paps at 3 month intervals. Mine have all been clear!!! YAY!!!

Hang in there! It's not too bad, honestly. You'll be fine. Just get it taken care of. The sooner the better. It's very common, and chances of it being true cancer are very low.

Thanks for all the responses and encouragement. I actually got my results back a couple of weeks ago and it just showed inflammation. I think it's from being on the pill for so long. The dr and I talked about what to do to get rid of it and she suggested an estrogen cream to toughen up the area but I didn't want to do that long term. So I'm having the LEEP to get rid of it. I'm not thrilled about the shot (my dr said that was the worst part too) but I'll be so happy to be done with this and not have to worry about bleeding when the cervix gets bumped. The bleeding from my last pap even took the dr off guard. :D Thanks again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.