Celiac Disease/Gluten Free Living???

pepnchar

Cathlete
I am starting to research celiac disease and the effects of gluten on the GI tract and also how it relates to ADHD and autism. I have thought for years that my daughter showed signs of autism, but her doctor will always come just short of officially diagnosing her and saying she'll catch up with her peers (which is true -- she has blossomed since starting school). She is also such a picky eater, and she does have bouts with constipation. Because of her communication skills, she can't always tell me if anything is wrong besides "I'm not hungry" or "my tummy hurts". So I am just wondering if going gluten free might make a difference. I am also looking at myself too -- I don't think I have any symptoms of celiac disease, but I just notice if I choose gluten free options over traditional wheat products, I just feel better. I am less bloated and my skin seems clearer. There could be many reasons for this -- but it simply leads me to want to research this topic a little further.

So, educated crowd... are there certain books you recommend I check out? I don't care to make Elizabeth Hasselbeck any richer, so I will stay away from that one -- but any others? For those who live gluten free, is it a challenge getting enough protein/carbs in your diet to fuel your workouts? I train for marathon races and need my energy! :0) Isn't it expensive to switch out everything for gluten-free choices? What are your tips?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Charlene

i dont know much about this subject, but i believe oats can still be eaten, one of the cheapest/best buys in the store. and some types of bread dont dont have gluten. i dont think the diet excludes grains, just some of them.
i'm glad other cathletes can better answer your question.

I am pretty knowledgeable about it. My son is on the GFCF diet, it has been about 4 years, HUGE difference in him.... and I help mentor other moms starting it through a support group. I recommend removing both wheat and dairy, and then if she has constipation issues, you might consider that she could have a yeast overgrowth also. This would involve starting her on a good dairy free probiotic and possibly some antifungals. But do the diet first.

You don't really need to buy a lot of books to start the diet, a lot of what you need is online. There are also plenty of mixes for bread (Bob's Red Mill makes a good one available in many HFS), and many foods are naturally GF.

Stay away from soy, as the protein is structurally similar to dairy and kids are often sensitive to it too.

There is definitely a gut-brain connection in some kids. If she is having the discomfort etc and is a picky eater (the gluten and dairy are highly addictive) then these are red flags your daughter would be a diet responder.

http://gfcf-diet.talkaboutcuringautism.org/index.htm is the perfect place to start. Great website.

You are welcome to contact me further if you like.
HTH
Jen

To answer one of your questions, I have no trouble getting enough protein/carbs. You can eat any type of unprocessed meat (deli meats frequently use wheat as a filler; store rotisserrie chicken has wheat, etc.). So just buy the plain meat/fish in the seafood/butcher section of your store-don't buy anything marinated or processed in any way. As for carbs, I eat a lot of beans for that. they have more protein and fiber than bread and are healthier for you anyway!
As for gluten free bread products, I get all mine at a local gluten free bakery fresh rather than buying the national brands sitting in my grocers freezer for 6 month. But yes, they are wayyyy more expensive than regular bread. So beans are your cheap alternative to bread for your carbs. I just buy a few treats now and then.
I didn't want to make Eliz. richer either, so I just checked out her book from the library! I will say it is a good book with a lot of good info.
Beth

A great book that talks about the mind/body connection with gluten and dairy and processed foods is "The Ultramind Solution" by Mark Hyman, MD. He's a big proponent of eating clean, no gluten, dairy, processed foods, etc to help autism symptoms and numerous other ailments. He claims to have reversed autistic symptoms on several children by cleaning up their diets and ridding their bodies of toxins, and adding vitamin supplements, etc.

I read the book and did a 6-week beta test for him when his book came out, and his recommendations were common sense and I noticed a big difference in how I felt. I determined that I was gluten and dairy sensitive and have tried to avoid both ever since. (I wasn't compensated for this and I have no affilitation with him other than having participated with 300 other people for the 6 week trial of his program, but I'm convinced that it's beneficial)

Good luck to you and your daughter,

I was cooking gluten free for several months as we believed one of my roommate's was a celiac (the doctor is now unsure of her diagnosis. Apparently she has several ulcers though).
Anyway, now that I'm used to looking for them, it seems that there are a lot of products out there that boast of their gluten-freeness. I think more people are becoming aware of the benefits of this sort of diet. Particularly stores like Trader Joes, Henry's, Mother's, and Whole Foods seem to have a lot of "off the beaten path" items, like gluten free things. I have a couple gluten free cookbooks I like, but I find I can just modify many recipes as well. I bought a big bag of almond flour to use in cooking. It works well in recipes, but my fiance doesn't care for it, unless it's a recipe wherein the taste is pretty much obscured, like in parmesan chicken.

I've been eating gluten free/wheat free for a couple of years now. Gluten free is becoming pretty easy these days, and it was never a big deal for me. I'm not a huge bread eater. Eating out poses problems, and you have to eliminate a chunk of processed foods. I also do not believe you need books at all, unless you cook with lots of wheat products. They now make 100% brown rice pasta that I like very much (I don't like quinoa pasta at all, though I love quinoa). There are gluten free flours to make muffins, cakes, etc.

About 5 months ago, my allergy tests revealed that I'm allergic to garlic, tomato, dairy, wheat, soy, almonds, corn, beets, blackberries, sunflower, and a few others. And I have to stay away from sugar because of PCOS. THAT is difficult. Every packaged food has sunflower oil. Everything has a corn & soy product, and you'd be amazed how many things have almonds in them. Tomato products were actually the most difficult for me to give up, but surprisingly made the biggest impact on my GI tract. This eating plan is difficult. Gluten free is a piece a cake!

Hi Charlene!

There are lots of books. The easiest thing to do is to look it up online. I have been in the GF life style for about a year now. Its not that hard. The easiest way to do it is to cook from whole foods. Watch out for canned goods, boxed foods, commercial foods (restaurants) and hidden wheat/gluten sources such as dextrose or malt. Soy sauce is made from wheat so you would want to go with Tamari (check labels always!)

My diet consists of whole fruits, vegetables, some starches such as blue potatoes, quinoa, buckwheat, nuts, fresh/unsalted meats, plain whole milk cream on top yogurt, coconut oil, olive oil, and eggs. You may wish to try an elimination diet with your child. She may have more than one sensitivity. For me, rice does not work. It causes constipation, even brown rice causes issues. I also take a probiotic. Triphala is an ayruvedic laxative available at most health food stores and online. It takes a few days to work and some people get a little nauseous with it, it has helped my villi (little hairs in the intestine.) heal. My brother can't tolerate any yeasts, so that means nothing fermented including cheese (which your daughter should not have anyway because it causes constipation.) You can give your daughter a few grains of epsom salts in juice or soda water with juice to help water to be flushed into the intestine and that will help alleviate the constipation. I take some everyday. Its a form of magnesium very cheap available in any drug store, Wal Mart or Target.

Oat meal is debatable. It is not supposed to be a source of gluten however, due to the farming practices the likely hood is that it would be contaminated.

I do not suggest eating the gluten free packaged foods. They often have rice flour which gave me constipation. Very painful. And, they usually don't taste as good as a bowl of peaches or other fruit with a dollop of yogurt. The brown rice pasta tastes great but gave me constipation. Mung bean noodles are a good alternative, found in the Asian/international foods section. Check for wheat, some have wheat in them.

Corn tortillas can be handy. Read the label, most have wheat in them. Any kind of 'flavoring' is usually wheat sourced. You can make tapioca from scratch on the stove top and thats a nice treat with some almonds, cinnamon (watch label on any spices.) and clove. Corn chex are gluten free, they do qualify as junk food but in a pinch its good to know.

Normal lunches would be a piece of fruit, some celery/carrot sticks, turkey or chicken roll ups (home made) with plenty of real mayo (check label, if it says 'Gluten Free' it should be ok.) and a juice drink (check labels!!! make plain 100 percent juice or watered down juice.)

I hope some of that is helpful. My brother is on the spectrum, extremely high functioning, and he does best on the wheat free/yeast free diet. I do the cooking around here. For eating out you can check online, many restaurants will list allergens. Watch out for scrambled eggs at diners, often they are laced with pancake batter to make them fluffier. A lot of people have been really hurt by that. Gluten free bread doesn't taste like regular bread, if you come across a bread that tastes great, be suspicious. There have been frauds perpetrated against the community having terrible consequences.

one more thing

In some ways its better just to do the elimination diet. Lots of people are gluten intolerant and not true celiacs. Celiac sprue in the US is just two genetic groups as opposed to say in India where they recognize at least 4 genetic groups. Also, most people with PcOS seem to be gluten intolerant (thats me.)
I was tested and found to be negative but I stick with the diet because where is the harm in eating whole foods? I just eat a lot less junk food.

Thanks for all the info! Wow, you ARE the educated crowd!

I'll do some reading and some sampling and we'll see how it goes! Here's to a healthier day for us all!

:0)

Charlene

more tips

Trader Joe's has an online list of allergens/gluten free foods available in their stores, I printed out a copy and use it to shop. They have great hot dogs that are nitrite/nitrate free and gluten free. I gut them up and add them to beans for my own beans/franks. Its a treat but it is a gluten free treat.

If you want to try baking, go with a mix to start. Trader Joe's does have a brownie mix thats relatively inexpensive. I add 1/2 cup of psyllium powder and an additional egg. That makes them 'fiber brownies' which can be very tasty with a glass of water and helps with constipation issues. You don't want to eat too much of course, that could back fire.

it sounds like all of us could benefit by following some of these principles, especially eating whole foods. thanks for sharing everyone, very educational. when i was growing up we did alot of gardening for our food. and ate very little packaged food. i really felt like i was missing out, but now its a movement to eat local,whole foods. interesting how perspective changes things. simple bowl of tomato soup takes me back. she didnt ever make tomato sauce, just peeled, cored and canned.

that tapioca pudding sounds awesome! when i was a kid it was a fav. treat of mine. i cant ever find it in the plain box like it was then, only the packaged kind. clearly not the same. i'm sure my kids will love it just like my sisters and i did.

As I am checking out labels and reading more into the products I buy -- I'm realizing that we are putting our trust and faith into these food manufacturers who are not in it to make us healthier -- but to make $$. Are the nutrition labels on these products accurate? Probably not. I'm putting things into my body I can't pronounce, like artificial sweetener. Hmmm... and who would have thought there would be gluten in my artificial sweetener? The whole foods option is just looking so much more appealing every day.

I have always loved Trader Joe's and I went and stocked up on a few items that I am going to try with my daughter -- yes, we're going to bake some brownies! Baby steps... I need to find what my picky eater is going to like before I completely clean out my cabinets!

:0)

Here's to a healthy labor day, everyone!

Celiac Disease

I have recently been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I was told by my GI doctor that it is very important to get a postive diagnosis prior to eating a gluen free diet. I was told to eat normally, then there is a simple blood test and an endoscopy and biopsy, but again if you are already eating a gluten free diet it will show an incorrect negative result for these tests, and eating gluten free is not always easy so I wanted to be sure before I started. Just thought you would want to know. I now know that I do have celiac disease. And as far as diary, I had difficulty at first since my digestive track was very upset form damage done to celiac disease, but since I have been on this diet about 4 months, I have been adding some diary back in with less digestive problems.

Good luck,

carol Berube

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.