CATS&SEIZURES

firmscorpio

Cathlete
My cat had his first seizures in June.I took him to the vet and they ran a bunch of tests.He was alittle dehydrated and consipated but,the couldn't answer why he had the seizure.It cost me $500.Last night he had another seizure.He is alright and is his normal self.Has any of you have experience this before and if so,do you have an idea what causes it?Thanks

Good morning,

My cat has been having seizures for about the last five years. It is quite scary when they come on, however once it is over she is fine within a few minutes. She usually poos during her seizure. I have made the decision at this time to not treat it -- I have made our vet aware, however I do not wish to medicate my cat. She always seems to be alright afterward. How long does your cat's seizures last? My cat's usually last about 10 - 15 minutes.

Monica

My cat Mandy has had seizures.
We didn't do extensive tests to find out the cause, but when she first had them, she had a bad ear infection, and the vet thought that could have contributed to it. Or, sometimes problems with various organs (she also has bad kidneys) can contribute. They can also be caused by brain tumors, but there's not much that can be done about that in most cases.

The first time I saw one, I didn't even recognize it as a seizure, as she was lying on the floor, and started 'reaching out' with her paw. That was it. She's had some nastier ones, though, that have her flayling around (two of those that I've seen, three days apart, back in March, but none at all since then).

Since she hasn't had any since March, the vet says just to keep an eye on her.

My cat's seizures only happen for a minute of two.It's awful to see your poor cat spinning around ninety miles an hour paws curled in and drooling.This one flew him off the couch he hit the bureau and just keep spinning very very fast.I got a hold of him and patted him and calmed down.He came too pretty quick and was meowing and ate up a storm.He was looking at his litter box and meowing.I think he might be conspitated.I gave him so stuff the vet gave to me last time.It's so hard when something is wrong with your pet.They can't tell you what is bothering them

I don't have a cat with them but I had a dog that did. The vet was pretty sure that since hers came on after she was 12 that it was a brain tumor. We really couldn't do anything for her and had to put her down 3 months later.
My mom has a dog that has them horrible. The vets are pretty sure that hers are epilipsy. Hope I spelled that right. Anyway she is on phenobarbital and also potassium I think. She still has several a month even with the drugs so I am not sure that the drugs are even helping. Not to mention when you do put them on drugs then you have to constantly do blood work to check all her levels. Very Very expensive.
It is horrible watching a pet go through these and not know what is triggering them. Good luck with your kitty. I hope for the best.

My cat has a seizure about once a year. The seizure itself I have never witnessed, but I described the after effects to our vet and he said that it is likely a seizure that is causing her symptoms. She gets very disoriented, acts very scared, won't eat and will hide for hours. Every time I get to the point where I am going to take her to an emmergency facility, she snaps out of it. Since she only has them every 12 months or so, my vet said it wasn't worth medicating her. We are just supposed to keep our eye on the situation and if she seems to have the seizures more often, get her back to the vet.

The vet said these seizures are often caused my some kind of serious head trauma, but our cat has never had any sort of serious accident that we are aware of.

Shelbygirl

My cat doesn't have seizures. But my cocker spaniel started having them when he was twelve. When I took him to the vet he said to just stay with him and wait til he came out of them (generally within 10 minutes). It cost me $50 everytime I went to the vet after hours for them and lots for the exams. He finally told me he didn't know why he was having them and I could take him to have an MRI which was about $5000, I decided I was going to get a second opinion from another vet and I took him for a complete physical and asked the vet what I could do about the seizures.

He put him on phenobarbitol which was $10 for a months work. He takes them 1/2 a pill in the morning and 1/2 a pill at night and are you ready for this........he is now 16 and hasn't had a seizure since. I don't know if this works for cats but it was definitely worth it.......leigh:)

my cat,15, had a couple of seizures because of lung cancer. it was kinda obvious because her body drained like there was nothing inside and could not open her mouth at all so the vet had to put a tube down her to eat. i could even hear her tummy growling. eventually i had to let her go.also,a cat's seizures could get worse the older she gets. i would get her examed. she might harm herself. my seizures,from a head injury 28 yrs ago have gotten worse.

laura

My Dog started having seizures affer he was exposed to DDT....He was put on phenobarbitol....he still had seizures but not as offen(about one every three months) and he was able to wait until after his seizures to go outside to potty...His seizures occured more often when he watch TV or vidio games and when we had our Christmas tree lights on...During Dec. he would have about 3-4 seizures...I hope this helps

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.