Cathe workouts using just DBs and a bench

dormars1979

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of building a home gym - usually I do my strength training in the gym, but I want to be able to train at home as well. So far I've got Bowflex adjustable dumbbells, a medicine ball, a stability ball, and a weight bench. I'm wondering if there are any Cathe strength/circuit DVDs that only use DBs (no Barbells)?

Thanks,
Doreen

I have (and I do) almost all of Cathe's videos. I don't own a barbell. I use dumbbells for everything, and have yet to find a move that I couldn't adapt using dumbbells instead of a barbell.

Stebby

Awesome!
I didn't know how specific her workouts were or if they were easily modifiable.
That is very good news - thanks for the reply!
Doreen

I don't have a barbell either. I do everything with dumbbells. I will say that if you can get to a gym and use a barbell once in a while, it's a totally different workout! I did all of STS with dumbbells only so it can be done. You may have to get creative, LOL, but where there's a will, there's a way (and weighted vests, gloves, etc)

I do almost every move with dumbbells except backrows. I use a barbell for them. I have a bad shoulder (realized recently from ripping cardboard boxes..part of my job stocking in retail grocery) and can't hoist a heavy bar up.

This was really helpful. I have just spent the last few hours looking for a new workout but have been quite down and out about it as I don't have a barbell and it is used in so many workouts. Without knowing how the exercises go I didn't know if I can adapt them but it's great to see it is possible. Thanks heaps!

Pyramid Upper Body uses all dumbells and I think the Slow and Heavy series does too. You don't have to get creative, just follow exactly what Cathe is doing. But I agree, pretty much all her barbell stuff can be modified to dumbells. In fact, I really think dumbells are a little harder! In STS on a chest workout Cathe mentions that if you are using dbs for the chest press you may need to go lighter because it is more difficult.
Beth

I didn't have a barbell for many years and really had no problems. The only issue was lower body work where my upper body would get so fatigued from holding those heavier weights. I totally managed, though. I wouldn't think a single workout would be totally off limits because of that.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.