Cathe Workouts or Drugs?

divinem

Cathe-

Just a note to THANK YOU for your outstanding performance in creating workouts that are challenging and fun. You were my re-entry into exercise after several years of floundering at the gym. By doing your workouts, I've learned to listen to my body instead of constantly comparing myself to others and pushing myself beyond my capacity.

When Vioxx was pulled from the market, I realized I was going to have to find a different way to find relief from the multiple disc herniations I live with. I was utterly dependent upon anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants and narcotic pain relief. Today, I take an occasional Advil for headaches. When I do your workouts followed by Stretch Max, I am virtually pain free.

As you know, one of the keys to a healthy back is a strong core. Your videos have taught me how to use my core to ambulate rather than those wimpy back muscles that weren't designed to carry the load. No more passive treatments for me. The only way out [of the pain] is through, and I've found the Holy Grail of back pain relief -- Cathe Friedrich!

THANK YOU for putting out another beg/intermed workout for those of us who aren't ready for advanced aerobics. I'm definitely ready for something new.

Sincerely,
Melissa W.
Omaha, NE

Exercise is non-negotiable.

Melissa, I'm not Cathe but I found your post both inspirational and very intriguing! I would appreciate it, for my own personal information, what exercise program (Cathe and otherwise) you've followed to wean yourself off pharmaceutical anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxants etc., and what you've done for core work.

I could've written your post in part, I think, had the subject been anti-depressants rather than anti-inflammatories. I've never turned to pharmaceuticals to feel better emotionally, and I must say I feel better after a good tub-thumping workout emotionally and physically than I ever did after an AA meeting or a counselor's session - both of which I've done. And I'll bet a dollar the same could be said, for me at least, with pharmaceuticals for emotional issues.

Thanks for a great post / topic!

A-Jock

Question, I have disc herniations too in my lumbar. What advice did your orthopaedist give you regarding squats and lunges and leg presses? Mine has told me absolutely no squats period and only body weight with lunges and leg presses. Which core work workouts are you doing? Did you strengthen your core before you started the lower body workouts or did you start total body workouts all at once? Do you continue to work when something causes you intense pain in the disc area or do you only do a move when it doesn't cause pain? Sorry so many questions but us bad folks still living on narcotic pain relievers would like to know EXACTLY what your routine is? I'd like to be pain free too by only using exercise. Could you give an example of your routine? Many thanks, Lisa

I am also interested in what you have to say. I have multiple disc herniations in my neck, as well as upper body dystonia. I have a hard time sitting up, but admit that I have not done a lot of exercise since I got injured. I have been on the anti-inflammatories. Now, I am on the anti-spasmotic medicines, and may have to get the botox injections so that my muscles don't keep spasming. What routine do you do? I think that one would have to take it easy at first. TIA, Jancorrin

My friend had 2 disc herniations and went to PT. The exercise that she said made her feel better was squatting w/ the stability ball between you and the wall. I know she also popped about 3 different pills. I like the idea of doing stretch max after a Cathe workout. That sounds really relaxing.

Waht type of anti-spasmotic drugs work for your? I have degenerative nreck conditions too. The only excrcise I was told not to do was overhead presses. I also wear a neck brace when doing any type of ab work & if you put your tongue on the top of your mouth it too takes the tension off the neck area

karen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.