Cathe-please comment on hypothyroidism

FitnessRN

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-02 AT 12:41PM (Est)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-02 AT 12:12 PM (Est)[/font]

Hi Cathe,

Are you an Oxygen Magazine reader? I was hoping you would share your thoughts on the article in the current (Feb 2003) issue featuring Jenny Worth's "fitness" routine-three separate hours of cardio a day 7 days a week in addition to rigorous weight training and gymnastics practice and what seems like a very low calorie diet (her cheat meal is a banana and a handful of raisins or rice!!!). All this to combat a "rare thyroid disorder" (hypothyroidism- hardly rare), yet her levels are not even low enough to require medication! This has really struck a nerve with me as I think she is promoting all kinds of false information and may discourage many women with hypothyroidism from even trying exercise because they don't have an extra 5-6 hours a day to workout.

Please Cathe, tell them it's not true!!!

FitnessRN

I read that article too and was outraged. I've been taking the highest dose of medication possible for Hashimoto's disease, which is a disease where the immune system attacks and kills thyroid cells, since I was 9 years old (which is rare in childhood), and I have the same results from my workouts as any other person. To wit: I exercise regularly and eat a reasonable diet and see results. Hypothyroidism should never be an excuse because if the condition exists, replacement hormones are prescribed and VOILA! no further problems. It irks me that so many people use it as an excuse for being heavy. What those people don't realize is that if you are not receiving adequate thyroid hormone, the symptoms are serious and life threatening.

Carole

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-02 AT 03:38PM (Est)[/font][p]> Hypothyroidism should
>never be an excuse because
>if the condition exists, replacement
>hormones are prescribed and VOILA!
>no further problems. It
>irks me that so many
>people use it as an
>excuse for being heavy.
>Carole

Carole, I'm happy to read that your condition is so well controlled but sometimes it isn't always easy to find the right dosage. However, as an individual who has been struggling with her weight and hypothyroidism for several years, it is extremely frustrating and discouraging to not be able to "fix" the problem. I spent the last year wondering why I felt so crappy and thinking maybe I was using hypothyroidism as "an excuse to be fat". There were times when I was actually embarrased to admit to people that I worked out 5-6 times a week and did WW--I felt like such a failure. I just underwent surgery for Hashimoto's (had my thyroid partially removed) so I'm hopeful that once we find the right dosage, I will do better.

Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents--little is known about the thyroid despite its importance to the body and there isn't always an easy fix.

You are absolutely right. It is critical to have the right dosage at the right time, and that can change frequently. I've had my blood drawn every three months for almost 30 years now, and my dosage has changed scores of times. Do you have a good endocrinologist and do you take the medication very carefully? I almost lost a pregnancy at 7 months because of a medication conflict. It always amazes me how uninformed so many doctors and pharmacists are. My point wasn't that hypothyroidism isn't a serious and difficult illness, but, rather that it is not an excuse to fail or a sentence to be heavy and/or unhealthy.

Carole

I just read this article last night and I find it hard to believe she must do cardio 3x a day just for this. I think she has an obsessive exercising disorder if ya ask me! Especially if her thyroid level isn't even to the point of needing meds!
I've been reading up alot about hypothyroidism because my Mom amd my sister both have it and they say I am showing symptoms(they're right). No where did I read one must workout that much to maintain/lose weight. I plan to go see my Dr. after the Holidays and I'm going to mention this girl's routine to her.I think she'll concur that she's taken it to the extreme. Susan

I am glad that you were able to lose the weight so easily, but when I went on Synthroid (I now take Levoxyl) I cannot say "voila! the weight came off". I put on about 20-25 pounds when my thyroid really took a turn for the worse (I also had much more serious symptoms such as slowed heart rate, balance problems, edema in the face, cramps, elevated cholesterol, constipation, etc.)and I have not taken it off. I am certainly not saying this is due to my thyroid, but it is just difficult to take off weight. Period. It is always easier to keep weight off than take it off. Unfortunatley, I was not able to keep weight off during that time (even though my appetite decreased greatly!)

I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism in Oct. I went to the doctor because in spite of working out alot, I gained 20lbs in the space of a year. I look nothing like I did back in Oct. of last year and couldn't understand why. I run about 3x's a week, step and/or kickbox the other 2 days. I also weight lift 5x's a week and do yoga 5 x's a week. I try to watch my diet, but hey, I AM human:)! The doctor drew my blood last month and while my levels have returned to normal, my weight still exsists.
I'm not going to exercise like Jen, but maybe that's what works for her. We're all different.
I also agree with Marcia, that Cathe is not a doctor, however, I'd sure like to hear her opinion on this and maybe she's heard of something else we can do to help our weight.

Aimee

Marcia,
She's not a medical authority, she's an exercise authority with professional experience dealing with medical conditions.
FitnessRN

Some symptoms are weight gain,dry skin,increased menstrual flow, orange colored palms or feet, slow pulse,tiredness,muscle cramps,hoarse voice... the list goes on a bit more. I have about 6 of these symptoms myself. My sister thought her symptoms were just middle age(she's 44) now she's on medication and it seems to be helping some what. Susan

Oh yeah, I also had orange palms, hoarse voice, hair loss, and a thick tongue.
I had pretty much all of the symptoms! You think I would have gotten to a doctor sooner.

I had orange palms too!!! At first, I was told it was because I was eating a couple of yams everyday during my dieting period. Who knew;-)!

Aimee

Hey Aimee,
Well, actually it was related to the yam, I'm sure, but it was also related to the hypothyroidism as you have some impaired fat metabolism (or something like that!) with hypothyroidism and vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin. The beta carotene in vitamin A is what makes it orange. So, yes your yams were making your hands orange.

Hi FitnessRN! I have not read this article but based on what you wrote it does sound like it could be sending the wrong message. As for my thoughts on hypothyroidism, I will leave the specifics of the condition to the medical experts, however I will say that it should not stop anyone from exercising unless specifically told to do so by their doctor.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.