Cat drama...need advice!

pixie9

Cathlete
Hello everyone. It seems that I'm going through some cat drama that just won't end. Here's the story:

My cat Alex has decided to become an outside cat. I'm thinking he was an outside cat before we adopted him so he was relentless about it. We've had him 6 years and he's been going out the last 3 months or so (since we moved to Germany). When he first started escaping, DH and I would chase him down and risk getting scratched/bitten/going into our neighbors backyards, etc. Plus it was usually dark and almost impossible to track him down. After one such escape, I heard him LOUDLY meowing outside while I was in. I ran out and found him face to face with another cat. He was on one side of a lattice fence and the other cat was on the other. I felt like I had to do something to prevent a fight so I decided to grab his scruff. In an instant, he was biting me and literally attacking my hand! I pulled back so hard that I hit my thumb nerve on the fence and the pain was just terrible!

At the time I did this, I knew I could have been hurt. I knew that he was in "a zone" and didn't really know who I was, so he thought he was being attacked. I knew it was risky but I took a chance. He truly is the sweetest cat! He's so affectionate and cuddly and incredibly smart. Please don't think he's a bad cat, he was just in some sort of fighting mode. It was my mistake but it ended up becoming a problem. My bites got infected and I ended up spending 2 nights in the hospital getting IV antibiotics. And the side of my thumb is still numb (this happened on Halloween). Stupid I know.

Since then, I've decided to let him outside and not interfere (duh!)which was going fine until a few days ago. He came home one night with what looked like a small injury on the bottom of his spine above his tail. A few days later, it was huge and hot and tender. Bad signs. So I just brought him back from the vet. They ended up sedating him and draining his infected abscess(karma?). It's 2 rather large open, round wounds. He has to wear a collar so he can't get to it and he must be kept away from my other cat. In addition, I need to administer antibiotics and give him hot packs 3 times a day! Anyone who's ever had a cat knows how incredibly IMPOSSIBLE this is going to be. I have no idea how I'm going to do this. He's a great cat but he's SOOOOO not compliant! In fact right now he's walking around with that collar dragging and he's bumping into everything. It's really sad! My other cat is just terrified! He's hiding under the bed as I type.

Has anyone out there been through something like this? Any advice?? Please?

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn, I of course don't have any advice but I do have a second to post. That's so horrible! Poor Alex. And I feel bad for Mr. Bee too, even though it's kind of funny that he's so scared. He's so dopey! Anyway, I think you can still call me tomorrow afternoon if you get a chance. I'm sorry that all this happenned! :-( :-( Lots of love to you Jason and the kitties.

Amy

My cat Toby is an indoor/outdoor cat. I used to get nervous letting him out, but we live in the country, and he knows where home is. Sometimes he goes out Tomming around, and he may be gone for 2-3 days. I worry about him, but you know. There have been a few times where he obviously has been in a fight. I have had to nurse a few wounds for him. Luckily nothing to serious to have to take him to the vet. The winter nights get really cold here to, and some nights I will refuse to let him out even when he whines. I know he has somewhere that he goes when it is cold out. But, I think it is worse to keep him locked up in the house all the time. He loves to go out and play.
I guess this post is really not helpful to you in anyway LOL, but just wanted to tell you that I think it is good that you let him out to play if that is what he really likes. Is he neutered?
I sure hope he heals quickly and is alright. I am sure all will be fine in a few days, and he should get a little better about the meds. Good luck!

Maeghan AKA megadoo

Added pics 12/1/06
December and Christmas Albums

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=megadoo2&x=15&y=7

If you have the antibiotics in a pill form, crush the pill & either put it in cream cheese or butter. As far as everything else you have to do to him, good luck. I have a cat that even the vet will not take care of unless he is sedated.

Ig you give me your email address I will send you a link for BestFriends Animal sanctuary, they have a message board there & you can get lots of help with your problem

Poor kitty! I don't allow my kitties outside, but I do manage a feral colony in my neighborhood - so I've trapped and medicated many wild kitties. If the antibiotics are pills, you can use Pill Pockets, which are treats that have hollows in them for pills. You just pinch them shut and usually they work really well. That, or grind them up and put them in olive oil or hairball gel that you can then spread on his front paw - he will have to lick it off (usually they prefer to be clean even over tasting something gross).

As for the hot packs, you can either put him in a hard sided carrier that has a door on top, or you can wrap him in a towel that is safety pinned to allow only his rump to show. Hw probably won't hold still for you to wrap him, so start by pinning the towel like a cape (w/o him), then put his head through the hole and hold his arms in the towel while somebody else pins the towel closed. Also, an old coat w/a sleeve cut off works nicely. You can also buy clamps to hold his scruff. For some cats this relaxes them and then you can do most anything with them for a few minutes.

HTH! As for the fighting ... well, if he's already neutered, I don't have any real advice for you ...

Good Luck!
arancini

I have an indoor/outdoor cat, more indoor as she is pretty old now (19 years old). Up until about 2-3 years ago, she stayed outside a lot and would fight a lot. She has had several of those abscesses. They are really gross, but I would take her to the vet and get her fixed every time. The worst abscess she ever had was when something bit her in the top of the head, probably a dog, because she also had a small bite at the bottom of her head. The vet said it looked like her head was probably in the dog's mouth. The infection went from the top of her head to the top of her eye. They had to keep her at the vet overnight to sedate her, drain it all out, and leave a tube in the hole to keep it open. It had to heal from the inside out. Talk about gross. I had to clean it twice a day with a syringe and keep it open as long as possible to heal. She also had to wear a shade around her neck which she thought paralyzed her. :D It was really kind of funny to watch her walk with this thing.

Now that she is 19 years old, we have totally new problems. She no longer gets into fights, but she has had a skin cancer removed from her chin, she has some type of allergy and her toes keep getting red and inflamed, and we have to watch what we feed her or she will throw up. What fun. ;)

So, as you can see, you are not alone. I love my cat and will try to keep her happy until she passes away.

The only advice I have for you is to let him go outside. If I keep my cat in the house, she gets very irritable. When you see/hear that a fight is brewing, instead of picking up the cat, use a broom or fly swatter (just waving it usually works) or a water bottle and spritz the cats. May not sound nice, but the cat will get over it and you don't get hurt. :D

>If you have the antibiotics in a pill form, crush the pill &
>either put it in cream cheese or butter. As far as
>everything else you have to do to him, good luck. I have a
>cat that even the vet will not take care of unless he is
>sedated.
>
>Ig you give me your email address I will send you a link for
>BestFriends Animal sanctuary, they have a message board there
>& you can get lots of help with your problem

Thanks silbow! I PM'd you!

Thank you all for your advice (and hi Amy!). The antibiotics are in liquid form. So far, I've been able to administer them as long as Jason helps and as long as he's got his collar on. In fact, the hot packs are going ok too, as long as he's got the collar on again. Something about that thing immobilizes him or something;-)
New problem though: my other cat(Mr. Bee) is acting VERY weird. He stayed in my room all day and as far as I know, he didn't come out even once to eat. When I walked toward him, he began to growl and hiss. He's acting aggressive and it worries me. Do you think he smells Alex's injury? Do you think I should keep them separated indefinitely? Thanks again for all the great advice!!

Carolyn

Has Alex been neutered? If not - do it! The loud meowing, wanting to go outside, the fighting and abscesses were problems my male cats would have until I neutered them. Just a thought - YMMV

Sandi

PS - have you tried keeping Alex confined to s separate room from your other cat?

>Has Alex been neutered? If not - do it! The loud meowing,
>wanting to go outside, the fighting and abscesses were
>problems my male cats would have until I neutered them. Just
>a thought - YMMV
>
>Sandi
>
>PS - have you tried keeping Alex confined to s separate room
>from your other cat?

Yes Sandi, he's neutered. He may be acting this way because we have 2 male cats and one has to be dominant (they're both neutered).
I am confining him to another room (which makes me sad for him
:( ). I just hope Mr. Bee starts acting normal again. I just don't want a huge cat fight breaking out!

hi carolyn,

please keep us posted on alex's recovery. i am sorry you have to go through this. my cats have always been indoor cats. my six year old howls at the door to go out and visit the neighbors. he has had to be on antibiotics and he is very strong. he has to be sedated just to get a bath. i had to give him the pills when he was sleeping.

keeping them apart is tough. felix, my six year old, has crystals in his urine and a problem with the ph balance. he is on one type of food and meds. alice is 19, and has kidney and thyroid issues. she is on meds and her own food. they both try to eat eachothers food and i have to play food police.

i like the advice to check out best friends web site. i was there this summer for a week. had the best time in the world. would recommend the place to anyone! it is worth becoming a member.

wish i could do more for you. hang in there.

suri

RE: Cat drama...need advice! attn Suri

HI, I am so glad you have heard about Best Friends. How was it being there? I would love to go, maybe this summer I will be able to get there. They are just such an incredible organization. I hve their credit card so a precentage of everything I spend automiatically gets back to them, I love their magazine, but I always end up crying.

Karen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back