carrying ID when running?

spyrosmom

Cathlete
It just occurred to me on my way home tonight that I should probably carry ID while I'm out running as I am always by myself. I'm in a safe neighborhood, but unfortunately, you never know. Where do you guys put it while running? I have 1 pair of pants that have a zipper pocket in the small of my back, but they obviously need to be washed after a run, and I can't guarantee they'll be clean by the next outing. Or should I maybe just put my name and add in magic marker on my ipod - its a shuffle, so its small, but I could cram it on there. Suggestions? Or am I paranoid?

Nan

There are athletic socks that come with pockets for ID and a key. I can't remember any specific brand names but if you Google you'll come up with something.

HTH!

Sparrow

"The winds of grace are always blowing but it's you who must raise your sail." - Sri Ramakrishna

I do not think you are being paranoid. Any runner could pass out, get hit by a car ect ect. Sure it is not likely to happen but you never know. I have something called a Road ID (http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx). I really like it. The only thing I regret is I kinda wish I would have gotten the shoe version instead of the wrist version so I did not have to worry about getting funny tan lines over the summer. I have my name and emergency contacts printed on it as well as the fact that I am not to be given penicillin.

I use (and my DH) our old driver's licenses.

My DH mountain bikes. It's just safer for him to carry some sort of ID incase of an emergency. my husband sticks the ID and few other things in that back pocket on the back. I stick it in the closet pocket or just hold it in my hand.

Namita

Not a runner, but I do carry ID when I´m out skating. I usually just write down my name and a phone # where my DH can be gotten a hold of. And I always have my cell. I put that in my bra :eek:

>I do not think you are being paranoid. Any runner could pass
>out, get hit by a car ect ect. Sure it is not likely to happen
>but you never know. I have something called a Road ID
>(http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx). I really like it.
>The only thing I regret is I kinda wish I would have gotten
>the shoe version instead of the wrist version so I did not
>have to worry about getting funny tan lines over the summer.
>I have my name and emergency contacts printed on it as well
>as the fact that I am not to be given penicillin.

ooh, thanks. That's perfect. Off to order!! I didn't want anything that looks wallet-like, bc I don't want it to look like I'm carrying cash. Perfect-o!

Thanks,

nan

I've got the shoe RoadID. Love it. Mine says "Keep Going" since you could choose your own motivational saying, if it fit. :p

I also indicated that I'm an organ donor plus my insulin pump and I think only my first name.

Nan,
I've been carrying my cell phone with me whenever I run. I bought a cell phone holder armband (made by Body Glove) and it not only holds my cell phone but also my ID, a car key (if need be) and always a tissue (because my nose always runs when I do!). It tooks a couple of runs to get used to it, but I've had it for about 2 years and now I can't imagine going for a run without it!

Yep, I have a Road ID that fits over my shoestrings. My running buddy had given me a $20 Gift card for Christmas and I finally got it a couple mos ago! I usually run w/ my cell phone but generally run w/ at least 1 or 2 friends anyway.

ICE = In Case of Emergency

If you are carrying a cell you should add a contact or two that starts like ICE Home ICE Spouse ICE Neighbor

The EMS personnel will look at your phone and call the ICE numbers if you are incapacitated.

Another vote here for the Road ID! It's a wonderful little invention! It has all the necessary information on one easy-to-find tag - much easier than carrying a wallet or even an driver's license. :)

I agree about the RoadID. Although I have a more basic version. I picked up a small velcro-close pocket kind of thing at my running store. It's about two-thirds the size of a playing card and the velcro closure runs lengthwise from front to back. Inside I just have a piece of paper with my name and in case of emergency contact info. Then I velcro'd to my shoelace. It's just safer to have ID with you! Run well!

anne

I have something similar - a shoe pocket. Which is a small pocket that can attached to your shoelaces. I can fit ID, Credit card, couple keys and a few dollars in it. It was $5.

You're not paranoid. You never know - things happen so quickly. Even if you're in a safe neighborhood. I got hit by a car a few years back when I was walking my bike on the side of the road (the chain had broken). Fortunately I wasn't hurt too badly, but I didn't have ID on me and it could have turned out a lot differently. I always carry some ID on me when I'm out walking the dogs, hiking in the woods, cycling, rollerblading. You just never know. How about sticking your driver's license in your bra? :)

I looked at mine: it has my full name and the fact I'm an organ donor, NKDA, A+ blood type, and my Medic-Alert ID and the phone number for them. And my "keep going" mantra. :)

I put my full name despite the fact I wouldn't want an abductor to have it, I prefer someone who helps me regain consciousness know what to call me. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.