Canker sores!!

midwestchick

Cathlete
Does anyone have any advice for someone plagued with canker sores? I'm going to the dentist in a couple of weeks and am planning to ask them, but I am in so much pain. I know there is some hormonal components to their recurrence as well as stress (and genetics as my mother gets them as well). I try the numbing solutions, topical "patches", but am very miserable. Eating and talking are excruciatingly painful, and these are two of my favorite things to do!

Just curious if anyone has any sage advice or anything that has worked for them.

TIA!!

Heidi

You are not alone!! I get these and when I get them they could be very excruciating especially when you are forced to talk (I talk to clients quite a lot during the day). I have tried to figure out what causes them but am not having much luck. I think I get them if I eat to much acidic foods like oranges, tomato sauce, pop, etc. and sweets.

I have used the numbing solutions. This is the only way I survive. I have heard by puting baking soda on them, they heal quicker. I have tried this and sometimes they seem to disappear faster and other times they don't. I will tell you though, it really hurts to put the baking soda on. I also heard that eating yogurt helps them to heal.

I would also love to hear some advice from others.

Sorry, I could not be of much help. They just seem to go with time. ;(

When I was a kid they used to burn them off with silver nitrate sticks. It would basically kill the tissue and in a few days it would slough off. My family doc did this. I remember it shortening the duration of the attack significantly. Ask about it!

I thought canker sores were caused by a vitamin deficiency? Can't remember if it's D or E.......I used to get them a lot but haven't for years.

I don't know the answer to your question, but just wanted to post to sorry I'M SORRY because I know you are in pain! Hope you get some relief soon...

Hi,

I used to get canker sore and cold sores very often, until a friend of my told me about Lysine. It is a supplement that is availabe at the market or any other store where you buy vitamins. I take it every day and have not had any more sores in about 2 years.

Give it try!

Josie

I've had canker sores all my life. I've tried about everything but the one thing that has really helped PREVENT them and help them heal faster when I do get one is using Listerine everyday - morning and night. I did a lot of online research and found that recommendation, didn't think it would work because I've tried about everything, butit has really worked for me. I also think it could be a B vitamin deficiency and taking B vitamins seemed for work for awhile, but then I started getting them again. When I was younger a doctor said it was caused by a virus in the smallpox/chicken pox family and gave me a smallpox shot. Before it was even healed I had more canker sores so that didn't work! Try the Listerine - it's a quick and cheap way to find out if it will work for you. I HATE the taste and didn't think I could use it but since it works I just keep using it anyway.

I used to get cankers sores when I was a teen. What helped was to put salt on them (hold the salt on while you are bending over a sink--it makes you drool a lot!). It cleared them up almost immediately.

Thanks for all the replies - and the sympathy :)

I've done the salt thing - my SIL swears by it. I make a salt paste and hang over the sink. It hurts like a sonofab****! Not sure if it's helped me.

I also am considering the lysine - I know we use it in cats with recurrent viral issues. Can't hurt, I guess.

I did find some Oral-B oral cleanser called Amosan. I've used it in the past and it's really the only thing that I've found has helped. My DH called around and I found it at Walgreen's. I'll give it another go.

And, honestly, I just don't think I could EVER put silver nitrate sticks right on those sensitive canker sores - didn't that make you want to go through the roof? We use them on dogs' nails that we cut too short and I know it's not painless - ouch!

Thanks for the advice. I talk all day too in my job, and I swear sometimes it must sound like I'm slurring or have a speech impediment when they hurt so bad. I think my clients are beginning to wonder about me:eek:

I'll let you know if I come up with a wonder fix as well...

Heidi

Heidi,

Go and get the lysine and start taking it right away. Believe me, this is the only thing that worked for me after suffering for years.

Josie

Lysine does help, but if you still get them ask your dentist or doctor for a presciption liquid that cauterizes the spot. My prescription is called "negatan" and was mixed up by a pharmist that is licensed to do "compounding" (mixing their own medicine, I think). Anyway, it burns like you wouldn't believe right when you put it on, but then it feels SO much better! You may need to repeat it if the canker sore is stubborn. I find that I get them when I'm stressed or if the spot has been irritated by a dental procedure. But please take my word that the liquid is not pleasant to put on! :eek:

I used to get them every once in awhile. I would gargle hydrogen peroxide and water. A capful with a capful of water. It seemed to help with the pain as well as get rid of them.
LD

I've done some research and essentially other research proves inconclusive, including the vitamin deficiency argument.

I have found that religiously using listerine helps. If I do get sore I have had good luck with Peroxyl (which was a blessing when I had braces)

As a dental hygienist we see this quite a bit - more often in the summer when people are eating more tomatoes, citrus fruits and other acidic foods and sometimes nuts.

Vitamin deficiency can be a culprit and so can stress. They also tend to run in families. I suggest taking lysine and/or a multivitamin if you aren't already. Rembrandt also has a toothpaste out now for people who get canker sores. It reduces the amount of them you get by quite a bit.

Unfortunately, there are some different topical anesthetic ointments that take the sting away but nothing out there that is supposed to shorten the life of a canker sore is worth the cost. They may shorten the duration by a day or 2 but are somewhat costly. Most canker sores will last about 7-10 days. Ibuprofen or Tylenol can also help. Unfortunately, for the most part it's just a waiting game.

Here's Rembrandt's website but I think Walgreens carry it - there are also some other lesser known brands that carry similar toothpaste.

Good luck and hope that helps
http://www.rembrandt.com/extra_gentle.jsp

Those silver nitrate sticks DO hurt, but it's worth every second of it. The intense pain from the canker sore goes away right after you use the stick...I haven't had a canker sore in ages, but when I got one as a child my parents used the sticks and I still remember them.

Ironically, as I type this I have two cold sores though! Both in the right corner of my mouth - one upper lip, the other on the lower lip! I use Denavir on my cold sores - works like magic. It's my own fault for getting them though....too much soda! x(

Thanks, everyone. Thanks for the scoop on the Rembrandt. I also have sensitivity issues so usually use a toothpaste for that although I don't know how effective they are. I'd rather have less canker sores than the occasional sensitivity issues, so I may try it.

Will get the lysine, rinse with listerine, take my vitamins, apply silver nitrate sticks, and eliminate all stress (and citrus) in my life - think that'll do it?:eek:

No, seriously, thanks for all the input. I did find the Oral-B Amosan rinse packets and have used two of them so far. Hopefully tomorrow will be a less painful day.

Thanks!
Heidi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.