candida

Cbelle

Cathlete
Does anyone have any experience with this? I've had stomach/intestinal issues for as long as I can remember. I've been diagnosed with IBS (don't think that's what it is) tested for celiac (negative), and finally stumbled on candida while doing a web search. Not all of hte symptoms but most are exactly what I have. I've lived with uncomfortable and downright painful gas most of my life and its just not possible this is normal! So I was going to give the diet a try but its SO restrictive! I might as well do Atkins! Does anyone have any tales of eating this way?

Cbelle, have you seen a naturopath? I went through this a couple years ago - had every blood test on the planet! My gastro wanted to just write it off to IBS, but that just didn't seem right to me. I finally went to a licensed naturopath (had never seen anyone but a "traditional" doctor before), and she knew immediately that I was allergic to SOMETHING. It took a couple months to figure it out, but it was so worth it. I look at the world of medicine completely different now! And my naturopath knows more about me than any doctor I've ever seen. Which makes sense, considering she spends up to 3 hours with me at a time!

I had all those symptoms, too ... Candida was discussed but I don't think that was the case for me.

It turned out I was allergic to whey, bananas, eggs and kidney beans :)o ). And I know I wasn't always allergic to these things - they can develop anytime. Once I cut the allergens out of my diet, I felt 10x better. There is a blood test that tests your IgE and IgG antibodies - that's the most informative one.

No diet info, but there are some cleanses that can help.

www.oxypowder.com has a cleanse that can help get rid of excess candida. (I got rid of a coated tongue after doing one of these cleanses, which LauraMax mentioned a while ago). (If you're interested, sign up for their 'contest' to win free products, and you'll at least get a code for $5 off).

Renew life is a reputable company that has a variety of cleansing products, including one just for candida. You can often find them in health food stores. Here's a discount source: http://www.discountvitaminshop.com/...id=23&osCsid=a1d3b91f1af556fd73e0213391bf8d29

Cbelle- Since you didn't go into much detail I would take Dayna & have some tests run to make sure it isn't something more serious first.

That being said I suffered for years & years w/ stomach issues-I wouldn't "go" to the bathromm buy mabye once a week & sometimes not even that often. When I was finally able to "go" it would normally wake me up in the middle of night w/ horrible cramps and I'd be on the bathroom floor for like 30 minutes before I could finally go. It was horrible but didn't know what to do about it.

Jump forward, I overhead a guy at work taking about his son drinking hot water b/c he was constipated. I was like "what?". He said hot water works... so, I started drinking a glass of warm/hot water every morning after my shower-it took about 2 weeks of doing this every day for my body to respond but now, every morning about 20 min. after drinking the hot water I go and haven't had those horrible, awful, painfull cramps since! I did talk to my doctor about Zelnorm but he said if hot water is working that is the best and that the medicine was expensive & only worked for a short time, not lifelong.

So, if your problems are similar to mine I would suggest trying the hot water trick but be sure to do it at the same time each day. Also, once it does start working there is no holding it so be sure you don't drink the water if you are going to be leaving the house sooner than 20-30 minutes!!

Hope that helps!

Add some lemon to the hot water and your liver gets boost, too. My Grandma used the hot water trick for years.

Cheryl

I drink a glass of it, probably 8-10 oz. Coffee does work for some people so you could try that but the only thing that has worked for me is hot water-not the best tasting but you get used to it. It isn't bad just not good like cold water is! Good luck!

my problem isnt constipation or diarrhea...its horrible gas.....horrible smell, horrible pain, like I just want to curl up in a fetal position. I can see my stomach bloated with it and I can sometimes even see my stomach move with the gurgling and stuff. Today I had NO sugar, only protein and veggies and I"m already feeling better. The flipside of this is that I assume since I"m literally doing the atkins diet, I'll lose my extra pounds I have!

Hi I was having similar problems for 2 years and went to a few doctors... I demanded a parasite test and I tested positive for blastocytis hominis..... it causes pain and GAS.... I got treated and ALL my problems went AWAY..... unfortunately the symptoms are back in just 2 months and I just got another test yesterday, so I'll find out in about a week if it's back.... i read it's really hard to get rid of... Did you have a stool test for parasites??

These are also the symptoms of intolerance to dairy or lactose intolerance. If I have a dairy product without taking dairy eze, I am a mess for hours.

Cbelle, the easy way to check on candida is to try yogurt. One per day for a couple of weeks. But, if I eat yogurt I have to take a product that treats lactose intolerance x(

OMG Chell
Im so glad to see this brought up
I had problems for years and one day a friend of my daughters was at my house and we were discussing "things" and she told me of a regime she was on for Candida Albicans
Well, a friend of mine who was on Atkins with me, told me after i was not losing that she read that people with candida didnt always lose on that diet
so i began looking into it

Here is what i found

There is small info on the web, but it is there,
Few Doctors will admit there is such a thing
It is often caused by an over abundance of anti biotics
Too bad docs dont recognize it because often they treat it with anti biotics LOL
I found a Kinesiologist to treat me. Insurance co's dont cover natural medicines and wholistic doctors and i was lucky because of that young lady at my house, that she told me about a local chiropractor who had a reputation for miracles. She was also a kinesiologist and treated me with herbs and (Im sorry cant think of the name of what you call them) natural products

My diet was very strict as i was found to have candida mold and a myriad of other related things
If you want i can give you an overview of diet but caution it really is strict you can eat very little but i recommend you seeing if you can find a kinesiologist and see at least if he/she can test you
There are books available in Amazon.com on diet and meal planning

Gas and pain are not the only symptoms but as you search it on line you will see lots others
I lived with a morning headache that sometimes lasted the whole day, i had brain fog at times, which meant i just couldnt concentrate. One day i was lactose intolerant the next day i could have all the dairy i wanted. My body never reacted the same way twice. And I could go on
But hopefully we dont have to be embarrassed here, the gas was horrid,,, i would not flatulate (fart LOL) once but sometimes i would just keep coming on and on and the smell was horrid. Very embarassing when in social situations.

feel free to contact me off list if you want
Mariah
[email protected]

I'll look into the blastocytis thing....I havent had my stool tested but mayeb I'll think about doing that. Yesterday I had a great day right up until I took a bite of a brownie and then instantaneously I felt the symptoms again. I'm going to go get some yogurt at the store in a minute since I knew that was soemthing I should be eating. The problem is the fruit flavored ones have sugar which I can't do but plain is too....plain. SO I'll try some blueberreis in it since they are pretty low in sugar etc. and hope for the best.

I'll have to give that a try. I'm iffy on the splenda though...it might be a problem for me. Right now its all hit and miss. I'm keeping a journal and writing everything down that I eat and then rating it on how I feel. I just had yogurt with blueberries (low in sugar fruit) and I don't like how I feel. Not the usual gassy stuff but just like I'm almost MORE hungry now than I was before I ate it. Its a weird uncomfortable feeling.

Cbelle,
This is EXACTLY what I've been going through for at least a month. At first I thought it was just because I was approaching that time of the month, but then that came and went and it just kept on and got worse. It has gotten to the point that EVERY time I eat my stomach swells up like a balloon and then I get awful gas. I look pregnant when it swells like that. I got the book "The Maker's Diet"from the library and it deals with digestive problems. I highly recommend this book. I mean ASAP ;) ! I've started incorporating some of the things I've learned from the book and I went and got some supplements (enzymes by Garden of Life, this has made a huge difference and a couple others). I bought the enzymes Sunday and had them before dinner and no bloating! I've used them ever since and haven't swelled up or had the horrible gas. I went to the Dr. Monday and he also mentioned IBS (I don't think so) and has sent me to a gastroentologist, I go today for a scan to see if I have a gastric ulcer(I certainly hope not!!). I want to do the diet from the book and see if that takes care of the problem. Evidently our intestines can get inflamed and that can cause a host of problems. I didn't eat all day Monday until dinner and then I had organic chicken and veg. in chicken stock, no problems. I did the partial fast to try to give my gut a break. In the book, he lists lots of different foods you can eat to help with digestive disorders. The main point in the book is to eat whole foods in their natural state. Organic meats, poultry (NO pork or shellfish), organic fruits and vegetables. ALSO, goat's milk (organic) and goat cheese and organic butter not margarine and not low fat. He explains why in the book and it really makes sense. It has to do with the bacteria (good and bad) that our bodies need. It likes like I'm writing a book here:p ! Anyways, try this book. I couldn't put it down after only reading the introduction. There is a wealth of information in it and it all deals with the symptoms you are having (and myself). I have got to muster up some willpower to do the diet. I hope this helps and good luck to you, I honestly know how you feel. It's gotten to the point with me where I am afraid to eat. This diet is my only hope because I really don't think the Dr. is going to be able to help.

Ashley

I had Candidiasis with horrible gas problems, gastro-intestinal problems, couldn't loose weight, fatigue. You name it, I had it. After numerous appointments with different allopathic physicians who couldn't find anything (there is a big surprise!) I finally, I was diagnosed with Candidiasis (the chronic condition) by a Naturopathic physician. I was treated first with Caprylic Acid, then switched over to a herbal blend of Oregano and some other herbs, called Pyloricin by Pharmax plus high potency probiotics.

If you suspect you have Candida, you probably won't get anywhere with most allopathic physicians, I was told that Candida whereas common as vaginal Candida wouldn't exist in your intestines. Well, it sure did exist for me and the naturopathic treatment while taking quite long, did bring relief, almost ALL my symptoms have subsided.

But you need to find a good naturopathic doctor who is familiar with it, I also have come across some not so reputable ones, too.

A good start maybe the Internet. The Body Ecology Diet website has some good information, they also have a LONG questionnaire, you don't have to send in anything, you score yourself. Here is the link to the test.
http://www.bodyecology.com/quiz.php

I did read the book "The Body Ecology Diet", whereas it gives a lot of great information, the diet they suggest is too restrictive for me. I tried it for a few weeks, doesn't work for me!

You can also get a lot of great information at

http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/view_category.asp?cat=62

Annika Rockwell is a nutritionist, I think they do consulations by phone. I still order my probiotics and some Candida medicine from them, much better prices than my physician or the naturopathic pharmacy here in Phoenix. She ships very quickly and has great customer service.

If you have any further questions, feel free to email me directly.

I hope this helps, Good Luck!

Carola

I skipped the last few longer responses but want to share a little.

I was getting really bad bloating, smelly and gassy too.

For other reasons I decided to try the Fat Flush Plan and it is very similar to the first phase of South Beach.

Because you are eating very cleanly and drinking the cranberry cocktail along with the hot lemon water in the A.M. (very similar to the earlier post), I found myself not only gas and bloat free, but feeling much better.

After the initial phase (2 weeks) you start adding back in a few things, carbs, dairy, slowly to see if any of these would affect you allergy wise.

So whether you actually use some sort of nutrition plan such as Fat Flush or just a clean, health eating plan, many times the dairy, wheat, gluten, etc can be causing some of the symptoms you have.

Just wanted to share - when I am not following a plan similar and eat the breads, pastas, etc, (or even have a few beers with the yeast) I gain my old symptoms back. That has helped me watch more closely what I am putting in.

I still love the cranberry water, flax, and the hot lemon water. Have been doing it for a few months and feel like it definitely works for me.

Good luck whichever way you go. ;-)

"...eat the breads, pastas, etc, (or even have a few beers with the yeast)"

This makes a lot of sense. Not a naturopathic practitioner by any means; I am a nurse. But I can say with some knowledge that Candida loves any and all simple carbohydrates because they break down so quickly into simple sugars. So...

If anyone wants or needs a bit of motivation to get away from refined carbs and sugars, just remember that by feeding yourself these "foods', you are also feeding the Candida!

The usual Rx for this is Diflucan. If it is in the mouth, (thrush), you get a "swish and swallow". And of course we all know about "Monistat" creams.... I have also seen it alive and well on many of my obese patients in areas where the skin folds lay upon eachother. This is treated with an antifungal cream. Cornstarch-based powders are ineffective and can cause even more yeast, because (you guessed it!) cornstarch is food to the Candida. Diabetic persons can be rather prone to all the above.

Someone mentioned antibiotics; they kill the bacteria that is causing infection, but unfortunately they also kill the beneficial bacteria that lives in the gut. This is how the Candida is able to flourish. Acidophilus and unsweetened yogurt (with live/active cultures) help those bacteria to regain the normal balance needed to decrease the yeast.

TMI?

HTH, Julie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.